Just got my JH 16's Today - Something Wrong?
May 10, 2011 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

nicktao

New Head-Fier
My Jh 16's just arrived today, I don't know what to say. They sound kind of dead. Dull would be a good way to describe it, I'm sure the fit isn't the problem here, it feels like the treble drivers are dead. I like a V type equalization, bass and treble. But the treble is very dull and flat, I tried various sources including, an RME Fireface 800, RME Babyface, my ipod classic, and even my V drums audio out. My ath M50s, I'm sorry to say, sound better to me. They sound more open, airy and have a better soundstage. I am using FLAC and 320. Iisten to many genres and currently to XYZ by Hiromi Uehara, the cymbals all sound flat and dull. Everything else is fine.
Is there something wrong with my Jh16s? My ears? My audio systems? Is there a burn in period? I need to know!

May 10, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 59
Never have i seen a complaint of sound from a JH16 before until now.. Maybe the fit isn't good? Or try burning them in for 30+ hours first.. 

May 10, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 59
I've never heard a single pair of customs, but I try to give ANY new kit a week to 'settle in' - whether its my ears or the gear, something usually comes to an 'understanding'. That said, my PL50s sound as unexciting now as they did when I bought them 6 months ago, and the RE0 never really grew on me - sometimes you just have to cut your losses.

May 10, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 59
Also i noticed that my UM customs sound flat and boring when they are unamped. The JH16 does eat up lots of juice so maybe thats the problem?

May 10, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 59
I believe that the fastest way to burn in an earphone is to repeat 1 hour of white noise, 1 hour of pink noise, and 30 minutes of frequency sweep for 30ish hours. Thats how i burn them in. I personally don't like listening to them not burned in

May 11, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 59
I have experienced this time and time again; the treble isn't what it turns out to be after some burn in.  It happened with my SM3, my EM3 Pro (to a lesser extent), my Kozee X3, and most recently my Rooth LS8.  Not sure why, but it could be the cable, crossover, or driver changes (or all 3) but I do believe it.  Not to mention I have heard another JH16 owner tell me their new, factory fresh JH16 took some time to sound as good as their reshelled JH16.

Glad you found the sound you were looking for!

May 11, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #10 of 59
I have experienced burn in with certain cables, capacitors (used in crossovers) and magnets build up gauss with use.  The gauss should technically be measurable and would change the magnetic force possibly changing the sound.

May 11, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #11 of 59
Never mind the last post I made, I just plugged it in to my ipod touch and it sounded awful, not even close to sm3s. 
So, is this normal? Should I give it some time or send it in to get checked? I don't want to lose them now after waiting to get them.
I thought burn in only applies to headphones, but hopefully this isn't the case and they haven't opened up yet. It feels like 150$ worth at most, certainly not 1150$. 
I'll just leave them to play for a few days and see what happens, unless anyone has got a better solution?

May 12, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #12 of 59

Quote:
Never mind the last post I made, I just plugged it in to my ipod touch and it sounded awful, not even close to sm3s. 
So, is this normal? Should I give it some time or send it in to get checked? I don't want to lose them now after waiting to get them.
I thought burn in only applies to headphones, but hopefully this isn't the case and they haven't opened up yet. It feels like 150$ worth at most, certainly not 1150$. 
I'll just leave them to play for a few days and see what happens, unless anyone has got a better solution?

JH16s are probably the best sounding IEMs I've ever tried.
you may wanna wait awhile more. my TF10 and SM3 used to sound like crap too.. until awhile later.
give it time to burn in. maybe 100 hours?

May 12, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #13 of 59

Quote:
My Jh 16's just arrived today, I don't know what to say. They sound kind of dead. Dull would be a good way to describe it, I'm sure the fit isn't the problem here, it feels like the treble drivers are dead. I like a V type equalization, bass and treble. But the treble is very dull and flat, I tried various sources including, an RME Fireface 800, RME Babyface, my ipod classic, and even my V drums audio out. My ath M50s, I'm sorry to say, sound better to me. They sound more open, airy and have a better soundstage. I am using FLAC and 320. Iisten to many genres and currently to XYZ by Hiromi Uehara, the cymbals all sound flat and dull. Everything else is fine.
Is there something wrong with my Jh16s? My ears? My audio systems? Is there a burn in period? I need to know!

i cant hear what you are hearing, so its very hard to say what is happening, but if i had that kind of experience with that level of IEM i would have JH on the phone immediately. I would not rule out that something is wrong... its unlikely, but not impossible. also, i would suggest getting yourself a sine wave file or generator so you can test the frequency response.  If a driver is dead or something is happening as signifigantly as you describe you may be able to hear it more clearly by listening to something like that. 

These IEM's should sound nothing short of amazing.  if you are that unhappy i can only imagine something might be faulty.. .unless the music you are listening to is truly a poor quality recording and the IEM's are simply exposing it.  also a possibility. 

May 12, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #14 of 59
Quote:
i cant hear what you are hearing, so its very hard to say what is happening, but if i had that kind of experience with that level of IEM i would have JH on the phone immediately. I would not rule out that something is wrong... its unlikely, but not impossible. 

There must be something going on here.  Even with the early poor fits that I had to deal with, you could still tell that these IEMs were in a different category.  I would definitely get these back to JH Audio for them to take a look at what is going.   I don't think burn in is going to make that much difference with what you're experiencing, definitely not from, "They sound kind of dead."

Although Br777 it's unlikely that something is wrong, I fear this may be the case.   Get in touch with JH Audio, if you can.

May 13, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #15 of 59
I actually just got my pair of JH16's last week Thursday (today is day 8). I've probably listened to them for at least 4 hours each day, more on the previous weekend. So I have about 30-40 hours of use.

So far, I am not very happy with my purchase. I am holding out to make my final opinion until I get my desktop headphone amp (I currently only have two DAP's to use: Sony NWZA818 and clip+). I find the JH16's to be very, very sibilant. In fact I didn't really know what sibilance sounded like until I listened to these... My TF10's don't sound like this at all. When I fired up some tracks from my favorite artist, Seal, the sibilance in the song "Free" in his album "Soul" is just downright painful to listen to. 

As far as the seal of the headphones go, I think it is perfect on the right headphone, but I will need to send the left headphone back for a refit (if i am not careful and move my jaw the seal is broken and I can only guarantee a perfect seal by applying ever-so-slight pressure on the top of the headphone). Even when I apply the constant pressure and have a good long listen I am dissatisfied with the results. It has been 5 months since I have been able to listen to my HD650's with amp (i get them back tomorrow - i moved a few months ago to Eruope). But I know Seal's albums very well and I just do not remember them sounding this badly. I can't say that there is a lack of detail, but I wouldn't say that the details presented by the JH16's is any better than my TF10's... which absolutely should NOT be the case. The JH16's should blow the TF10's out of the water.

The bass isn't nearly as punchy as everyone has alluded to. I have heard it called "visceral" upon multiple occasions. I do not find it so at all. I prefer the bass of the TF10's. Is there bass? Absolutely, but to my ears, its more boomy than punchy. Sure there is some punch in there at times, but not what i was expecting and I do think the TF10's are better in this area as well. Because it seems sort of boomy at times I am thinking that perhaps my DAPs just aren't up to the job without an amp (yes i know an amp will help regardless) but it was my assumption that the JH16's would work fine without an amp and would work just fine alone with a DAP.

As far as source material goes, I listen to solely FLAC on my clip+. I only have VBR-mp3's on my Sony DAP, i think they are about ~215 bitrate, which shouldn't be too much worse than 320 FBR.

Right now I'm feeling like my particular pair of JH16's is worth... I don't know... $250? But in light of the fact that TF10's can be commonly purchased for ~$100... I just don't know. I'm going to keep using my JH16's and talk to JHAudio on Monday... but right now I definitely prefer my TF10's. /Sigh

On a lighter note, I am a HUGE fan of the stock silver (clear) cable that came with the JH16's! It is very supple, smooth, and looks sharp. Now if only I could be half as happy with my headphones as I am with the cable! 
smile.gif

So... What is going on? Any ideas guys?

Jonny

JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions

P.S. I'm posting this in the JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions thread as well.. if that's not Kosher, please delete this post!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back