Just bought the Shure SE535, did I make a mistake?
Jul 19, 2011 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

NeoDiNardo

100+ Head-Fier
I've been googling here all night, and I'm still confused. I just bought the Shure SE535 Headphones, and I just want to know if I made the right choice, or if I should have considered the others mentioned on this site that I did not know about at the time of purchase. The reviews on the Shure SE535 Headphones were so good, I thought there was nothing better that was not custom, then I find all kinds of competition like the Westone 4 on this site. I get the impression that the Westone 4 might be better with smooth sound, but that the Shure has a better detachable cable, extras in the box, with a better midrange. But which is the better overall purchase?

So for $420, I bought the SE535s, did I make a mistake? How does the Westone 4 directly compare and is there another model that I should be looking at for the ultimate in-ear happiness? I read custom only last about 4 years as your ears change as you age, so I want to stick to non-custom for now. But if I do go custom, what brands should I look at?

Of course, I can't return the SE535s, something about ear wax health hazard (I think that's a bit extreme!), but I could always sell and get another set if I find it rocks my boat. 

Any help would be great!

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 29
Rest assured, the SE535's are JUST as competent as any other universal out there, at least from amongst all the top tiers I've owned (refer to my profile). But for anyone to say whether or not YOU made the 'right' choice, there no real answer to that my friend. What sounds just right to your ears, may sound just wrong to someone elses. Nevertheless, the various top tiers differ, for the most part, in their presentation. Some lean towards a more balanced signature, while other treble/mid/bass-centric. If anything, to my ears, the SE535 is certainly mid-centric, in the very best of the word. IMO, I highly doubt you'd be dissapointed by what you hear, but whether or not they're the end all be all universal for you, only your ears, and not mine, nor anyone elses for that matter, are capable of answering that question my friend. If I'm to be honest, the only 'mistake' (
tongue.gif
) you made was venturing into the never ending loop we call head-fi; a mistake I'm all too guilty of myself, albeit one that I choose to live with for the rest of my life, without any regrets!
wink.gif

All the best my friend. Do post your impressions if time permits.
smile.gif

Jul 20, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 29
The Shure SE535 is a great IEM. You'll enjoy it for quite a while, I'm sure. I actually think they are a great intro to other IEMs and sound signatures because of their mids--which really makes you appreciate that portion of the frequency that is crucial to all audio.

Jul 20, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #5 of 29
The only problem with posting my thoughts is that this is my first in-ear headphone, so not much to compare it to other than the loud speakers I've heard/owned. But I will post away when I've log in some hours. Not sure when that will be...

Thanks for the moral support everyone!

Jul 20, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #7 of 29
I've owned both at some time and I prefer W4, which to me seems more balanced and coherent IEM than SE535. To say nothing about the comfort, I hated SE535 memory wire and W4's form factor is considerably more comfortable for my ears YMMV.

Jul 20, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #8 of 29
There are many really good IEM range from really good price to really expensive.  Just like many people said, there is no real solid answer to your question.  Everyone has different liking.  One person best IEM is not necessary your best.  All most all IEM has its own unique sound signature.  This goes with full range head-set and home speakers.  When in comes to buying audio equipments, my good friend gave me one advice:  You go with the one that make your ears happy!!  Yes, the equipment reviews from many experts will ONLY help you narrow down the selection.  To me that is the only guideline.  If you are happy with Shure 535, then you are good to go.  But, if you have not heard other IEM then you might or might not be getting what you want.  I am sorry, I don't mean to make your purchased more difficult.  I own many full range and IEM that is due to different sound signature.  I use different head set for different type of music.  Happy listening... go with what sounds good to your ears.

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #9 of 29
Out of curiosity, what other IEMs were you looking at besides the W4? I'm in the same boat. Looking at buying the SE535s, trying to wade through the myriad of other choices while trying to keep spending down. I've also been recommended the IE8 and the Vsonic GR07.

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #10 of 29

Quote:
I've been googling here all night, and I'm still confused. I just bought the Shure SE535 Headphones, and I just want to know if I made the right choice, or if I should have considered the others mentioned on this site that I did not know about at the time of purchase. The reviews on the Shure SE535 Headphones were so good, I thought there was nothing better that was not custom, then I find all kinds of competition like the Westone 4 on this site. I get the impression that the Westone 4 might be better with smooth sound, but that the Shure has a better detachable cable, extras in the box, with a better midrange. But which is the better overall purchase?

So for $420, I bought the SE535s, did I make a mistake? How does the Westone 4 directly compare and is there another model that I should be looking at for the ultimate in-ear happiness? I read custom only last about 4 years as your ears change as you age, so I want to stick to non-custom for now. But if I do go custom, what brands should I look at?

Of course, I can't return the SE535s, something about ear wax health hazard (I think that's a bit extreme!), but I could always sell and get another set if I find it rocks my boat. 

Any help would be great!

Shures 535 are an absolute outstanding earphone. Very detailed. Just curious, what type of music do you listen too. As said above no worries

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #11 of 29
I like top ten stuff, like pop with female singers, I also like rock and roll and sometimes rap.

The Grado GR10 Seemed like the best other set for the sound I like, which is a lively yet balanced clear sound, with nice tight deep bass, but no so much that it comes at the expense of extra nice mids and highs, with great imaging and detail. So while I like bass, it's not my first priority and I don't like it when it overpoweres the whole sound signature. For reference, my fav speakers that I have owned/afforded were the Von S. VR-1. The Westone 4 seems great too. I may try these later if I can afford it, perhaps some customs too. However, I leaned on the Shure due to the replaceable cables. Had I read everything I know now, I might have gone with the Grado GR10 first, or even the Westone 4, but the others are correct, the Shure is a great set, perhaps even the best out of the three mentioned due to an awesome mid range, but that's something I can't know for sure until I tried them all. However, I am now very happy with the Shure for my first set.

And I have to figure out headphones for movie watching too. If I want to use the in-ear sets, or use something like the big over the ear cans, I was thinking of buying a DACmini amp as I need some good USB and Optical Audio ports for my PS3 / Blu-Ray Player / MacBook Pro. And the DACport seems awesome for portable MacBook Pro music... 

I'm going all in with headphones, gave up on nice loudspeakers for now due to room mates and cost.

Jul 20, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #12 of 29
By the way, I bought my Shures from ZZsounds on a 4 monthly payment plan no interest, matched price from Amazon during the Father's Day $420 price. Not a bad way to spend $105 a month for 4 months, for those looking to buy.

Jul 20, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #13 of 29

Quote:
I like top ten stuff, like pop with female singers, I also like rock and roll and sometimes rap.

The Grado GR10 Seemed like the best other set for the sound I like, which is a lively yet balanced clear sound, with nice tight deep bass, but no so much that it comes at the expense of extra nice mids and highs, with great imaging and detail. So while I like bass, it's not my first priority and I don't like it when it overpoweres the whole sound signature. For reference, my fav speakers that I have owned/afforded were the Von S. VR-1. The Westone 4 seems great too. I may try these later if I can afford it, perhaps some customs too. However, I leaned on the Shure due to the replaceable cables. Had I read everything I know now, I might have gone with the Grado GR10 first, or even the Westone 4, but the others are correct, the Shure is a great set, perhaps even the best out of the three mentioned due to an awesome mid range, but that's something I can't know for sure until I tried them all. However, I am now very happy with the Shure for my first set.

And I have to figure out headphones for movie watching too. If I want to use the in-ear sets, or use something like the big over the ear cans, I was thinking of buying a DACmini amp as I need some good USB and Optical Audio ports for my PS3 / Blu-Ray Player / MacBook Pro. And the DACport seems awesome for portable MacBook Pro music... 

I'm going all in with headphones, gave up on nice loudspeakers for now due to room mates and cost.

if you like good tight bass and detail.  You might want to check Monster Miles Davis, it is on clearance right now at BestBuy Magnolia for less then $200.  I picked one up just to see how it stacks up with other.  I was skeptical at the beginning.  I must say, it is surprisingly a really good IEM.  

Jul 20, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:
if you like good tight bass and detail.  You might want to check Monster Miles Davis, it is on clearance right now at BestBuy Magnolia for less then $200.  I picked one up just to see how it stacks up with other.  I was skeptical at the beginning.  I must say, it is surprisingly a really good IEM.  

Amongst my top 3 bass-heavy in ears. However, just for experimental purposes, I paired mine with my Zo amp, and the results were painstakingly overkill (as expected). Makes me appreciate that much more just how impeccable the Zo pairs with the EX1000; but of course, the MDT is a monster (pun intended) after all. 
biggrin.gif

Though I wouldn't at all say it's absolutely necessary you look past the SE535 to be quite honest. The Monsters and Shures share little to no resemblance IMO, and I know all too well what to expect when you give the SE535's a listen; I'm almost willing to bet on it!
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #15 of 29

Quote:

Amongst my top 3 bass-heavy in ears. However, just for experimental purposes, I paired mine with my Zo amp, and the results were painstakingly overkill (as expected). Makes me appreciate that much more just how impeccable the Zo pairs with the EX1000; but of course, the MDT is a monster (pun intended) after all. 
biggrin.gif

Though I wouldn't at all say it's absolutely necessary you look past the SE535 to be quite honest. The Monsters and Shures share little to no resemblance IMO, and I know all too well what to expect when you give the SE535's a listen; I'm almost willing to bet on it!
wink.gif

I agreed that MD has a lot of bass.  Like I said in earlier post:  one person good/perfect IEM is not necessary other person good.  It's all about what you like.  One might swears by Shure, one might think it is not a good fit.  That is why we wide range a selection :p 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back