Just bought RX700's.. very dissapointed
Apr 20, 2011 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

choboguy

New Head-Fier
My first pair of what I hoped to be good headphones came in the mail today. I unpacked it and eagerly played my favorite song from iTunes.. and I was very disappointed, to say the least. I understand that there is a burn in time needed for these headphones, but I didn't expect the initial sound to be utter trash. I feel absolutely minimal to no bass impact and the sound is very shallow, if that makes any sense. Is this how other users also experienced these headphones out of the box? I am running these headphones off my onboard sound with no amp. I've read many reviews on here about them while looking for my first pair of decent headphones and I expected a lot from them, but maybe I'm overreacting and they'll sound completely different once they're burned in. I would appreciate if anyone could leave me any feedback on this..

Apr 20, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 21
Do you hear much bass at all? The first thing I noticed was a lot of bass presence, not too sure about the impact. Can't check for you since I don't have them anymore.

Apr 20, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #4 of 21
The bass is definitely there, but it simply lacks punch. I guess the size of these things make you think that they're going to THUMP, but I guess that wasn't the case. My Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers sound much clearer than these, but I'm not sure if I should compare headphones to subwoofers.

Apr 21, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 21
I take back everything I said. After only 3 hours of burning them in they sound completely different. The sound cleared up and I can definitely feel the bass now. I will mod these in the near future and update after they are burned in more.

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
That's good to hear. I found removing the thick felt helped the most of all the mods available; it brings out more clarity.

Thanks I'll make sure to keep this in mind
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #10 of 21
The felt mod is pretty much essential for the RX700 imo. It basically just involves peeling off the layer of thick felt that covers the driver holes with your fingers, no tools needed. It clears up the sound a lot.

The RX700 are to date the headphones most obviously impacted by burn-in I've tried, and they need a lot of it imo. I've compared a brand new and used RX700 and they sounded very different to me, although I believe out-of-box sound has to do with presale storage and environmental conditions; some don't notice any burn-in change. Still it says something that there was a palpable difference in SQ for me between a new and used one.

May 14, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #11 of 21
I got my HARX700's last week and I played them for 9 hours before even listening to them. Well I actually cheated a bit in the beginning and listened a bit and I can honestly say I was impressed with the sound just out of my computer.

Once they had a good 8 or 9 hours of play time I hooked them up to my audio rig and played some acoustic Jazz and I have to say.....AMAZING!!!

I also got a pair of ATH-A700's last week and I have to say they are VERY similar sounding cans.....I would go so far a saying JVC could have been inspired by the A700's.

The A700's are better but not be much and are definitely in the same ballpark.

When you consider the price, the HARX700's are a no-brainer for everyone to own.

May 14, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #12 of 21
The music burn-in for the RX-700's is about 300 hrs. to sound very good. JVC as a manufacturer takes to burn-in longer than anyone I know. Even after burn-in they are a fairly dark sounding HP but they are very balanced this way across the entire audio spectrum. They really come alive using a neutral to bright sounding dedicated headphone amplifier. Happy Listening.

May 14, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
I take back everything I said. After only 3 hours of burning them in they sound completely different. The sound cleared up and I can definitely feel the bass now. I will mod these in the near future and update after they are burned in more.

Just a head up for you: Do not repeat what you said about "burn-in" in certain web-site ( cannot mention here but you will find out if you are in search for AVR info  
wink_face.gif
) since they will destroy your "burn-in ...". I have learned a lesson a hard way, 

May 14, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
The music burn-in for the RX-700's is about 300 hrs. to sound very good. JVC as a manufacturer takes to burn-in longer than anyone I know. Even after burn-in they are a fairly dark sounding HP but they are very balanced this way across the entire audio spectrum. They really come alive using a neutral to bright sounding dedicated headphone amplifier. Happy Listening.

They are still the best $40.00 that I have ever spent. One pair I use daily and one pair is in the closet for back up.

May 15, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
They are still the best $40.00 that I have ever spent. One pair I use daily and one pair is in the closet for back up.Another

Another decent HP under $50.00 is the Fostex T 20rp MK II. Muddy/ Fuzzy at first but after burn-in, the mid is something very worthy to have: Smooth and organic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back