Just Bought ER-4P's ... and I'm Afraid
May 25, 2010 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

FlatNine

500+ Head-Fier
After comparing IEM's to death, I decided to order a set of Etymotic ER-4P's. (I had my heart set on either SE530's or Westone UM3X's but after dropping almost $500 on a new DAP, I was reluctant to spend another 3 to 4 hundred.)

My concern is the comfort. I returned a set of UE TF10's cuz I found them very uncomfortable, regardless of the tips I tried. I guess I can return the Ety's (got them at Amazon) if necessary, but I'd rather find that I can work out the comfort thing. I was on a roll yesterday - seems like all the things I read had nothing but praise for both the SQ and comfort of the Ety's. So I ordered them. Now this morning, it seems like all I read is how uncomfortable they are.
confused_face.gif

May 25, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 19
The comfort of any iem is a very personal thing but you could probably not find 2 iem's that are more oposites than the ER4 and the TFP10. Also comfort will depend on the tip used. I can not use the tripple-flange Ety tip as I fiond it very uncomfortable. I use either Shure black olives or more recently the Comply T100x with build in filter and can use them for 8-10 hours straight with no discomfort what so ever. The TFP10 however I sold as I was never able to find a comfortable fit with it no matter what tips or mods I tried.

May 25, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #3 of 19
I'll try both. I know the Ety's come with various tips, but obviously not Shure tips. Would you have a link handy on those Comply tips? Amazon would be preferable since I have free shipping with them. Much appreciated!

May 25, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 19
The most comfortable tips I tried with the Etys were the Shure olives - they're tough to beat, and feel most secure when put on backwards.

May 25, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #5 of 19
ER4 comes with a good selection of eartips. I think you should try them out first before ordering things that you might not need (though I do agree Comply and olive are quite comfortable).

May 25, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #6 of 19
have both UM3X and Ety4p and use the T100X on both of them.  Great thing about the Comply T100X is the built-in filter which means you're not having to change those teeny tiny Ety filters so often.  Also incredibly comfortable fit.  wear them 8-10 hours sometimes and don't even know I have them in.  Can't say enough good things about them.  Olives are good too, but you still have to mess with those teensy Ety filters.  I've got big fingers and it's a tough job.

May 25, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #7 of 19
Thanks everyone. I guess I should wait to see if any of the provided tips work. I feel like a kid the day before Christmas.

May 25, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #8 of 19

Also try to cut biggest flange (if you have tiny ear channels) & them ety's would be great. Theu are super comfy in such a way for me. Much better then with olives

May 25, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #9 of 19
I absolutely hated shure triple flanges. They were nothing but pain to me. I've since found ety triple flanges much better. Once you get used to the ear invasion (and break in the tips, sometimes silicone tips can be a bit stiff at first) you might find they're not that bad. Shure olives IMO still reign as best all around tip for any earphone that fits it. Deep/shallow fits, good isolation, and good sound.

May 25, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 19
I found the triple flanges made my ears itch after awhile.  But that's just I and my ears.  One other interesting note:  Awhile back Antonyfirst had a simple mod of cutting one of those triple flanges so you had a 1/8" or so plastic "washer" created.  he then put these little spacers--or "washers"--on the eartip stem, then inserted the Olive.  Swore they enlarged the soundstage.  I trie dit  and love it.  I think it does increase soundstage. So if you're in an experimental mood, you may try it.  The flanges are quite easily cut with scissors or use an Xacto or other modelling type knife

May 25, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #12 of 19
I liked the triple flanges when I had the ER6i but the triple flanges aren't as good as the Shure ones imo. They wore out faster compared to the Shures although that did take like 6 months or something similar. That drove me to go to the olives and never went back :p

May 25, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #13 of 19
i like ety's tri-flanges.  they pained my ears a little bit in the beginning but i got used to it.
also, i found that cutting off the smallest flange from the tri-flange tips brought me more comfort, and it also gave me better sq. 
not a big fan of olives for ety's since they kinda make the sound "muddy", but thats just me since everyone's ear canals are shaped differently.
ety's small-sized foam tips are pretty good too.  just shoot them an email and they send you a free pair.

May 25, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
I found the triple flanges made my ears itch after awhile.  But that's just I and my ears.  One other interesting note:  Awhile back Antonyfirst had a simple mod of cutting one of those triple flanges so you had a 1/8" or so plastic "washer" created.  he then put these little spacers--or "washers"--on the eartip stem, then inserted the Olive.  Swore they enlarged the soundstage.  I trie dit  and love it.  I think it does increase soundstage. So if you're in an experimental mood, you may try it.  The flanges are quite easily cut with scissors or use an Xacto or other modelling type knife

Yes the spacer mod is brilliant, I use it all the time with both the ER4 and the HF2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back