Just bought Beats Pro with the sole intention trying and then returning them
May 25, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Have you tried open back headphones with those types of music?

I never had the chance to try open-back headphones. Many of the headphones I see in the stores in my area include:
  1. V-Moda M-80 and M-100
  2. Beats Pro, Studio, Solo
  3. Yamaha Pro 300
  4. Monster Inspiration and Diamond Tears

I expected them to at least have a pair that's worth a listen, like the HD600 or HD650. The problem is that they only put the really popular ones. To be honest, it was only recently that the V-Modas were displayed there. The stores don't have the Yamaha Pro 500, which I would've bought were they not cheaper online. They don't even have a 1000-dollar kind, like the HD 700 (they look so epic) or maybe the LCD-2 (my dream headphones : \). I even wished they had the Stax SR-009...
   Oh well. It seems that only the popular ones below the $500 mark make it into the display area. Poor me and my ears, I guess.

May 25, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:
I have a hard time believing most dubstep listeners think that muddy sound is a good thing.

Idk if muddy is the right word, but I get what my friend is saying. I just compared the Beats with the HD 700 on Radioactive. With the Beats, the bass during the verses is a single droning sound. With the HD 700, because it resolves bass so well, it actually produces a high frequency repetitive sound which doesn't sound right with the song.

May 25, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:
I have a hard time believing most dubstep listeners think that muddy sound is a good thing. Maybe some of the skrillex people, but not the serious listeners...

I actually agree with you here. Dubstep is composed of a lot of detail, and loss of that (either through bad reproduction or bad headphones) can really take away the fun of dubstep.

Idk if muddy is the right word, but I get what my friend is saying. I just compared the Beats with the HD 700 on Radioactive. With the Beats, the bass during the verses is a single droning sound. With the HD 700, because it resolves bass so well, it actually produces a high frequency repetitive sound which doesn't sound right with the song.

To be honest, the 'single droning sound' is really there, so I agree with you. However, I also think that the actual song is that bassy. Even on my desktop speakers, the kick drum really muddies up the bassline. If you listen really carefully, you can hear the bassline, but it's so recessed and hidden behind the uber-bloated kick drum...

May 25, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

such a good song, but terrible production/mastering, its absolute ****. sounds pretty bad on really revealing headphones like the hd 700/800

i listen to the live version since it sounds alot better.

May 25, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:
such a good song, but terrible production/mastering, its absolute ****. sounds pretty bad on really revealing headphones like the hd 700/800

Well the intro is good on the HD 700
bigsmile_face.gif

Btw anyone know of headphones that give that raw garage sound to hard rock songs that cost around $100 - $200? Thing with the Beats Pro is even though the bass drowns out the other sounds, the other sounds are still there, or maybe I notice they're there only because I heard it before clearly through the HD 700. Either way, I was testing out the Beats Studio or Solo in the store today, and those seemed more lacking in the other sounds. So I guess what I'm looking for to fill this hard rock niche of mine is a pair of headphones that follow an audiophile graph until the bass section where there should be a boost. Also I guess the bass shouldn't be so clean. <-- Look at me, this is crazy talk XD

May 25, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:
Well the intro is good on the HD 700
bigsmile_face.gif

Btw anyone know of headphones that give that raw garage sound to hard rock songs that cost around $100 - $200? Thing with the Beats Pro is even though the bass drowns out the other sounds, the other sounds are still there, or maybe I notice they're there only because I heard it before clearly through the HD 700. Either way, I was testing out the Beats Studio or Solo in the store today, and those seemed more lacking in the other sounds. So I guess what I'm looking for to fill this hard rock niche of mine is a pair of headphones that follow an audiophile graph until the bass section where there should be a boost. Also I guess the bass shouldn't be so clean. <-- Look at me, this is crazy talk XD

l0l the intro!!!!!  yeah thats the only part thats not ruined by the compression/loudness, theres the pic of the spectral display which shows how bad it is.

umm also, check out the grado headphones for rock, they're great for classic rock, hard rock, metal, etc... they have good midbass, though not alot of sub-bass, they're great though, especially the sr225 for 200$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back