Just bought Beats Pro with the sole intention trying and then returning them
May 24, 2013 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Sonido

1000+ Head-Fier
Just went to Best Buy and bought $400 Beats Pro. Beats really have been ripped hard on here, but I wanted to try them out for myself and compare with my other headphones. I have Sennheiser HD 598 and HD 700 with O2+ODAC.

I think I'm gonna start doing this more often, buying headphones from Best Buy (and their higher end Magnolia Store) with the sole intention of returning them later. Anyone else on here do something like this?

Will post results on what I think about Beats compared to HD 598 and HD 700.

May 24, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 24
Before listening

First Impressions:
- Well designed box
- Headphones are sturdy and well-built, though heavier than my Senns
- Took a minute to figure which side was left and right due to optional jacks on both sides
- Wires are a bit short for in-home use with amp setup, good for travel though I guess.
- Wire turned a bit when plugged to headphone. Thought it was like the HD 598 turn to lock in wire, but it did not do such

Comfort:
Let's just say I've been spoiled by the microfiber pads on my HD700. But even the velour on the HD 598 is better. Pleather is sticky in the summer. But main difference is the Senns are over ear and these are on ear so it presses down on my ears.

That's all for pre-listening impressions. More to come.

May 24, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 24
First Listening Impressions (before comparing to the Senns)

LOOUUUDD!!!!!!!!
Maybe these are not supposed to be used with an amp or something (someone enlighten me on this), but these are LOUD! Normally I have my O2 turned to 9-10 o'clock position for my Senns, but is barely at 8 o'clock. Lower impedance I guess.

Bass:
The bass is obviously quite pronounced. Comparing to my Senns before I switch and listen to them, I know the Beats wins in intensity of bass. The HD 598 hardly has any bass and for music like rap, hip-hop, or dubstep, Beats win. The HD 700 has more bass than the HD 598, but probably not as much as the Beats, however, one thing I noticed immediately with Beat was that the bass seems to drown out the vocals and other instruments. In some respects, it even extend into the vocal midrange. Even on purely vocal parts of songs, the bass was pronounced. I heard p's have a bass feedback like the singer being too close to the mic.

Midrange:
The vocals and midrange like I mentioned was drowned out by the bass and the vocals itself has more a bass kick to it. Instruments like guitar, especially acoustic guitar is less clear.

Treble:
Treble is there, but also less crisp.

Soundstage:
Pretty much non-existent, but these are closed to be fair. Once again, the overpowering bass really seems to tie all the other sounds together.

Final initial thoughts:
I've been listening through the Beats this whole time while writing this section, and I'm glad I can go to the next phase and compare with the HD 598 and Hd 700 because these Beats are making my ears really hot and uncomfortable.

May 24, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:
First Listening Impressions (before comparing to the Senns)

LOOUUUDD!!!!!!!!
Maybe these are not supposed to be used with an amp or something (someone enlighten me on this), but these are LOUD! Normally I have my O2 turned to 9-10 o'clock position for my Senns, but is barely at 8 o'clock. Lower impedance I guess.

Hey,
   Well, yeah, the Beats Pro's aren't meant to be used with an amp because of its low impedance (32 ohms). I like your "technique" of buying and returning headphones. That was really something.

Bass:
The bass is obviously quite pronounced. Comparing to my Senns before I switch and listen to them, I know the Beats wins in intensity of bass. The HD 598 hardly has any bass and for music like rap, hip-hop, or dubstep, Beats win. The HD 700 has more bass than the HD 598, but probably not as much as the Beats, however, one thing I noticed immediately with Beats was that the bass seems to drown out the vocals and other instruments. In some respects, it even extend into the vocal midrange. Even on purely vocal parts of songs, the bass was pronounced. I heard p's have a bass feedback like the singer being too close to the mic.

Very, very true. I found this to not be much of an issue at first, until I bought Accudio...

But main difference is the Senns are over ear and these are on ear so it presses down on my ears.

Well, actually, the Beats Pro's are over-ear headphones. I don't know if the many ppl who've tried it have big ears, or if my ears are just small, but the MBPs are over-ears. The Mixr is a better example of an on-ear (also by Beats, dubbed the MBP's little brother).

May 25, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 24
i heard the beats pro a few days ago and just like the first time i heard them, they're actually quite alright, they're better than the beats studio. however, they should only cost like 150$. 

May 25, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 24
Compared to HD 598 and HD 700:

Two completely different directions in headphones. The HD 598 are really bad when it comes to dubset or hip-hop, but has a really nice soundstage for orchestral pieces and acoustic guitar songs. In fact, I prefer the HD 598 over the HD 700 when it comes to some acoustic guitar songs. With the lack of bass, the HD 598 makes it sound like I'm listening to the song being played live in front of a campfire.

The HD 700 is not all that great at dubstep or hip-hop either. In fact, I had a friend who's really into dubstep tell me it does too good a job resolving the sound that the song sounds wrong.

However, the only common genre of music (that I listen to) that I feel all these headphones can work for is rock. Now these headphones take a different approach of the sound.

Beats:
- Unsurprisingly bass heavy
- Gives a kind of garage sound, which can be considered a plus to some
- Feels like listening at a rock concert, where the sound is not clear, but you're having a fun time anyways
- For lighter rock, Beats tends to make sound heavier than they should
- One major con I noticed once compared to my Senns is that vocals sometimes have this shrieking high-pitch quality that bleeds out and is uncomfortable for the ears. Tested with smartphone and confirmed it happens too, so not amp related.

HD 598:
- For heavier rock, the HD 598 sounds hollow after listening to the Beats
- For lighter rock, I personally like having a larger soundstage here. The HD 598 starts shining here where bass in not really required to enjoy the music.
- When you get into acoustic guitar stuff, that's when I think the HD 598 even beats the HD 700 at times. For me at least, but only due to that campfire effect.

HD 700:
- For heavier rock, the HD 700 sounds like you're in the recording studio. The wide soundstage, yet with enough bass and heaviness gives it a good balance and how the artist intended the music to be heard. You hear every instrument clearly unlike the Beats.
- For lighter rock, the soundstage and clarity of instruments once again shines.

Final Thoughts:
While I don't typically listen to more bass heavy genres like hip-hop or dubstep, I can see the Beats being better suited there than both Senns, not only due heavier bass, but also the more muddy, raw bass is actually desired over a clean, smooth bass of the HD 700. Also the more synthesized sounds of hip-hop and dubstep makes the soundstage of the HD 700 unnecessary. HD 598 does not really have enough bass to play those genres. For heavier rock, the Beats actually provides a very interesting sound to me at least. It has that raw garage or concert sound that I actually like. I also love how the HD 700 gives the studio sound where you hear all the instruments spread out in a wide soundstage. Both Beats and HD 700 are winners when it comes to heavier rock, but for different reasons. Then again the garage sound of Beats for heavier rock is a personal taste. For lighter rock, the Senns win hands down because Beats makes lighter rock not so light. For lighter genres like classical or orchestra, forget about Beats.

My Takeaways:
Honestly, my expectations going into this experiment was that Beats would get completely schooled in everything outside of hip-hop/rap/dubstep when compared to true audiophile headphones. However, I found the sound on heavier rock to be actually good. The sound was muddy and harsh, but it fit heavy rock well to me. A metaphor I can make to this is that people still hold classic 2D video games like Chrono Trigger or Mario dear to their hearts because it was a style. The Borderlands series is very cartoony, but that's also an artistic style. To me, when it comes to hard rock, Beats presents a concert/garage raw style that audiophile headphones cannot give. However, I do wish the vocals wouldn't have that high pitch effect.

Honestly, if I could get some lesser brand headphones with the same sound signature (minus the vocal shrill) as these Beats Pro for about $100-$150, I would totally buy them just for listening to hard rock. When I discovered open headphones, I completely discounted closed headphones cuz I loved that soundstage. But listening to Beats made me realize there still in a place for closed headphones for me when it comes to hard rock.

By the way, I'm not a purist when it comes to sound. In fact, I prefer a funner sound. Hence why I have the HD 598/700 rather than HD 600/800. This may also be reason as to why I like the raw garage sound when it comes to heavy rock.

May 25, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:
Well, actually, the Beats Pro's are over-ear headphones.

To be fair I've been spoiled by the HD 700 where my ears are suspended in air, touching nothing.

May 25, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #9 of 24
I forgot to mention anything on pop music. Beats and HD 700 are good for pop. HD 598, not so much. Here is a chart to sum things up:

May 25, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #10 of 24
To be fair I've been spoiled by the HD 700 where my ears are suspended in air, touching nothing.

Well, that's true. The MBPs seem to hook onto the top of your ear flaps. Even then, to each his own.

Beats:
- Unsurprisingly bass heavy
- Gives a kind of garage sound, which can be considered a plus to some
- Feels like listening at a rock concert, where the sound is not clear, but you're having a fun time anyways
- For lighter rock, Beats tends to make sound heavier than they should
One major con I noticed once compared to my Senns is that vocals sometimes have this shrieking high-pitch quality that bleeds out and is uncomfortable for the ears. Tested with smartphone and confirmed it happens too, so not amp related.

I often find myself listening to hip-hop, dubstep, and mostly electronic music, which is a plus point for the MBP. I also have a liking for a lot of piano and acoustic guitar songs, where the Beats Pro ultimately fails in. I have Accudio Pro to fix that, though.

May 25, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:
I forgot to mention anything on pop music. Beats and HD 700 are good for pop. HD 598, not so much. Here is a chart to sum things up:

for me, the T1 in the middle, but the circle covers every genre. the hd 598 replaced with hd 800, and the beats replaced with LCD-2

May 25, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Nice chart, by the way. I wish I can agree though, if only I had access to the Sennheisers. Many stores in my area don't have these - I have to look online; but even then, I can't listen to them...

May 25, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

for me, the T1 in the middle, but the circle covers every genre. the hd 598 replaced with hd 800, and the beats replaced with LCD-2

My Lord! You actually have those headphones?! Wow...I can't say a thing...

EDIT: The LCD-2 are the headphones that I constantly dream of. I wonder if Accudio could recreate its sound through my Beats?... Maybe I should start a thread about this.

May 25, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:
I also have a liking for a lot of piano and acoustic guitar songs

Have you tried open back headphones with those types of music? The first time I did that, I was so blown away by the soundstage that I discounted all closed headphones until today with my realization of heavy rock and Beats. I had a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 that I ended up giving away to a friend after I discovered open back headphones. In fact, I only had my HD 598 for one week before I dropped $1000 and bought the HD 700 because I was so amazed by them. To me the difference from M50 to HD 598 was greater than stock Apple earbud to M50. The M50, though closed, never had that raw effect on heavy rock though, otherwise I would have kept them. Now I just need to find a pair of cheaper headphones that give the same effect Beats give to heavy rock.

In case you didn't know, open headphones are generally weaker at bass because they are open so the bass escapes. It's a fair tradeoff for the amazing soundstage to me though. Until you get really high end open headphones like HD 700 or HD 800, the bass will probably not be too impressive. Other people on here probably know more about open headphones with good bass. Also there's also semi-open which is somewhere in between. Of course sometimes less bass is even a good thing. Like I mentioned I personally prefer the HD 598 over HD 700 for some acoustic guitar songs.

May 25, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #15 of 24
a ton of open/semi open have great bass.

HD 600, HD 650, DT 990 and HE-400 to name a few. HE-500 and HE-5LE as well if you're looking at under 1K, though these would be considered pretty high end. 

the lower senns like 558/598 are ok as well, they cant put out tons of bass like the other headphones i mentioned, but the bass is very clean and controlled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back