Just Bought an iMac!!
Jan 21, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #91 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may find as you get farther along in your progression through life that you know less and appreciate different things than you do now. When I was in school, I thought it was a perfectly reasonable thing to build my own computers, spend my time dealing with lousy software because it cost less, and otherwise spin my wheels. You may even realize that people you talk to on the internet might not all turn out to be morons.

I never meant to imply that you are a moron. I certainly don't believe that as you are one of the few Mac users to actually have legitimate reasons why you made your purchase.

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #92 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may find as you get farther along in your progression through life that you know less and appreciate different things than you do now. When I was in school, I thought it was a perfectly reasonable thing to build my own computers, spend my time dealing with lousy software because it cost less, and otherwise spin my wheels. You may even realize that people you talk to on the internet might not all turn out to be morons.

What lousy software is that?

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #93 of 97
Sorry dudes, didn't mean to bring up this bashing war. I thought there would be more mature users in this forum than say a techie forum. I use both platforms, so I'm not a mac fanboy. I just did a search here for mac audio setups and found this thread, which I thought was an appreciation thread. Didn't know it was a thread-free-for-all to attack other head-fi users. Don't talk to me about cost, I've built plenty of pc's in my lifetime before some of you were born & sucking tit. There is no need to be rude to other head-fi users here because of what brand they buy. If this is the type of people that visit here daily, we should be seeing this in every forum thread comparing headphones/amps/sources. Again, we should be sharing our experiences and love for all audio sources & equipment. Not bashing each other. We got a world outside our door for all that.

Jan 22, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #95 of 97
You can have any colour, as long as its satin finish aluminium
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #96 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are the 17" macbook pros only avail in white?

They're not available in white.

Jan 22, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #97 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by MN Ham Phones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can expect a more stable OS.

Highly debatable.

Quote:

You can expect an OS that doesn't get in the way (with nags/reminders/dialogs nearly as often.

XP doesn't nag me, ever. It's all the 3rd party software that does.

Quote:

You can expect to rebuild and defrag it much less often.

A windows install should never need to be rebuilt, IF you maintain it. My install is over a year old and still runs as good as day 1. There are programs that silently keep your computer from becoming fragmented (O&O defrag is one) and do a better job then the windows tool, so you get higher performance. Just removing the extra unneeded files (CCleaner) and keeping your harddrives Defragged will give an enormous boost in performance. Also removing unnecessary items from bootup (especially those pesky tray icons that you never use) helps a lot too.

For some stupid reason, people think that Windows randomly screws itself over with time, and no matter what you do it'll become slower. This is not the case. The reason they get slow is by human interaction, and ONLY human interaction. You can get a shiny new windows install, and then install a lot of programs and suddenly your computer is running like *****. Why?
-By installing a lot of programs and altering files in the process, you fragmented the harddrive.
-The programs installed a whole lot of unnecessary services and programs that run in the background that need to be disabled.
Rant over
tongue.gif

Quote:

You can expect to pay more for it, but use it longer than a PC and thus it becomes a better deal.

Apple build quality is shocking lately. I wouldn't expect the hardware of a current iMac/MacBook to last that long at all. The Pro's are pretty good though, but jebus are they expensive.

Just my 2c.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back