8800GTX
P5k Deluxe
4GB DDR2 @ 1.1ghz
2x 10,000RPM Hard Drives
4x 1TB Hitachi Hard Drives
Silverstone Tj07 Case made out of 1 peice of Aircraft Grade Aluminum
Zippy 700w PSU
Dell 3008FPW

Take that, Mac Pro. I've got a better looking case too! Not to mention a monitor with 10x the features, connectivity, and IQ than the Cinema.

If I wanted 8 core, tack on another $1000 for Xenon's and we're still at half price of Mac pro.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #80 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only comparable machine to the iMac, the XPS-ONE, starts at $1299. I'd say the value is about equivalent. You can't exactly build your own all-in-one.

Honestly, did an 18 month old thread really need to be dug up just so a bunch of immature kids could take cheap shots?

Whomever it was who got the new iMac today and resurrected the thread, congratulations and enjoy. Don't mind the preschoolers, they'll go back to napping soon.

--Chris

PS -- If you search deep back in the head-fi archives, you will find a good number of Mac bashing children who have since grown up to become worthwhile participants at head-fi. Guess what: some of them also now own Macs!

This article was dug up not by immature kids to take cheap shots, rather mac owners. I was simply responding to the mac-boppers taking free shots at PC's.

I continue to build my own PC for countless hundreds less than Mac's. Not that Mac's don't serve their purpose, lots of people will spend a thousand more not to spend the hour or so setting up a custom built PC.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #81 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No thanks, pissing into the wind is a sport for people young enough to not know better.

Better than pissing away money and performance and reliability.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #82 of 97
We disagree as to which of us is pissing away money.

I buy a new computer every 3 years. I sell it for 70% or so of what I paid.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #84 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We disagree as to which of us is pissing away money.

I buy a new computer every 3 years. I sell it for 70% or so of what I paid.

I can buy a dual 2.0ghz, 2.5gb of ram Power Mac G5 for under $600. That's 25% of its price in 2006.

Edit:

Not to mention, the same $600, I pretty much have a cutting edge spanking new C2D system.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #85 of 97
Ok, I'm done. I admit it, I enjoy baiting Mac fanboys. I won't do it anymore.

The main problem I have with Apple, believe it or not, isn't their products at all. It's not their speed either. It's their false advertising, and how they've fleeced the public into believing they are the fastest, most reliable, unfailingly fantastical magical computers in the world.

I hate Apple because everytime someone asks a computer question such as "Why is my internet not working", when the problem is really that the campus network is down, some asinine moron ALWAYS UNFAILINGLY says "Oh get a macbook that will fix the problem.

I hate Apple because the vast majority of their users are complete idiots about computers that THINK they are tech EXPERTS because they use Apple. I have no problem with someone buying Apple due to ease of use. I DO have a problem when people the same people that bought them because they are "easy to use" start telling me that their computer is faster than my top of the line desktop because they have "80 gigaflops of HD ram mhz".

I have no problem if someone wants to pay for style. I am vain like that with many other areas of my life and purchases.

But if you go to Apple's site, you will see claims of "unparalleled expansion", and wild things like that.

That is simply a lie, and people are dumb and believe it, and repeat it ad nauseum. THAT is why I lump Apple in with Bose.

And oh, you better believe that I rub it in when they drop their macbooks off to me to save the data off their corrupt hard drives because the "Mac Genious" with the UNFAILINGLY black shirt and ponytail said that he has to change the drive, and that no data can be saved.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #86 of 97
What irritates me is that couldn't you honestly see this article being real? I swear to God, I could see this article being 100% real.

Quote:

APPLE TO CHARGE $2000 FOR **** IN A BOX
APPLE boss Steve Jobs yesterday unveiled the computer giant's latest eye-catching innovation: one of his ****s in a simple white box.

The box has clean, simple lines and contains a ****The billionaire pioneer said he was inspired after the company developed the world's thinnest laptop computer.

“We took most of the useful things out of it and doubled the price. The early demand has been incredible.

“I was then struck by an amazing idea: How much would you pay for one of my ****s in a box?”

Jobs said that the first 100 ****s will be his, but because of his busy schedule most of the mass market ****s will be built in the Far East and carry his personal endorsement.

Carl Knutz, an early adopter of San Andreas, California, said he would pay $1,999 for the ****, but only if it was ultra-slim and back-lit and unable to run the most commonly available software programmes.

He said: “I want a **** in a box that sets me apart from the crowd and tells people that I am young, hip, and creative.”

Bobby Killitz, 23, also of San Andreas, said he would hold on to see if Steve Jobs would produce a cheaper **** later this year after the initial frenzy had died down.

He said: “I think within six months he will either halve the price of the **** or lay two of his logs in there for the same price. He’s pulled that kind of trick before.”

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #87 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The main problem I have with Apple, believe it or not, isn't their products at all. It's not their speed either. It's their false advertising, and how they've fleeced the public into believing they are the fastest, most reliable, unfailingly fantastical magical computers in the world.

Their advertising has been getting to me lately too. Especially when there are so many glaring falsehoods in the image they are producing. It's almost becoming a religion, and they don't need to go this route.

Jan 21, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #88 of 97
You may find as you get farther along in your progression through life that you know less and appreciate different things than you do now. When I was in school, I thought it was a perfectly reasonable thing to build my own computers, spend my time dealing with lousy software because it cost less, and otherwise spin my wheels. You may even realize that people you talk to on the internet might not all turn out to be morons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back