Just arrived! Pioneer Monitor 10 (with pictures)
Sep 7, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #31 of 149
At last I got the Operation Manual! Thanks to Carlos from Brazil. The second photo is taken from the Pioneer catalog from '78-'79. It's a nice family photo, the Pioneer S10 with his siblings.

I mostly try to compare them to other studio headphones, but maybe it's time to compare them with his own relatives because the sound of the S10, I think this family has a lot to offer. I'm interested now in the S10R, the new model to see if Pioneer kept up this great balanced frequency response. If they did, like the original S10, the S10R can be the best studio headphone out there.

Sep 28, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #32 of 149
The manual. Nice.
Did you compare them to other studio cans yet?

I use mine a lot at home because they sound good with everyting I usually listen to and isolate extremely well. Especially the fine soundstage and instrument separation keep surprising me.

Sep 28, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #33 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At last I got the Operation Manual! Thanks to Carlos from Brazil. The second photo is taken from the Pioneer catalog from '78-'79. It's a nice family photo, the Pioneer S10 with his siblings.

I mostly try to compare them to other studio headphones, but maybe it's time to compare them with his own relatives because the sound of the S10, I think this family has a lot to offer. I'm interested now in the S10R, the new model to see if Pioneer kept up this great balanced frequency response. If they did, like the original S10, the S10R can be the best studio headphone out there.

you are not too far away. We should a mini meet. My 48/340/240 sextetts and your 10

Oct 1, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #34 of 149
Not every one of these have survived in good condition...
Just compare these that are now on ebay for $150
attachment.php

With mine, which I bought at a more reasonable price
5369d1213718841-just-arrived-pioneer-monitor-10-pictures-m10_cup_inside_small.jpg

Oct 5, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #35 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you are not too far away. We should a mini meet. My 48/340/240 sextetts and your 10

Yep, we should have a mini meet, before you sale the 340s
I like your 48a topic, very detail.

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #36 of 149
I have used my pair a lot since I got them, and it appears that the pads are not going to last. They look good, but age has made them fragile and there is now a small tear on one pad.

I have taken a careful look at the pads, and it does not look especially difficult to make new pads. When I get some spare time I will buy some soft black leather and try to make new pads. I want leather pads on these anyway.

Oct 11, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #38 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a small tear on one pad.

You can try to glue the tear with Bono 527.

Or maybe a new pads...
Try Pionner Europe (Benelux).

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

Oct 11, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #39 of 149
Glue does not sound as nice as new home made leather pads
jecklinsmile.gif

But I'll try Pioneer benelux, over here they said there was nothing in storage. New original pads sounds good too, but I worry that maybe they would be 30 years old as well....

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #40 of 149
I'd like to officially register to the Pioneer M 10 club. Just got mine today, I'm trying to stretch them out, they're really got some clamping force.
I hate to take the love away from these, but does any one else find them sibilant with a narrow sound stage?
The only reason I ask, is these may have been in storage for a quite a while, and probably need to shake the cobwebs. I'll give em a chance before throwing them under my wheels.

Dec 9, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #41 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by dclancy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to take the love away from these, but does any one else find them sibilant with a narrow sound stage?

No. If anything, mine are a bit dark sounding.

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #42 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by dclancy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No again. Listening now, and the sound stage does not sound terribly narrow to me. But then I don't have any cans with huge soundstage to compare with. Maybe then it sucks.

Dec 10, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #43 of 149
Dayum! Those are some gorgeous headphones!

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #45 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the soundstage it's not K70X but compare to my old K140 or the K300, it's much bigger and more smooth with a nice roll off...

I sure am hoping these open up a little, I'm a bit of a soundstage head. It's not that it's not there, just a lot of seems forced down a center channel so to speak. I'm not even comparing these to the 701's, the AKG's had almost too much separation on some recordings causing them to be disengaging. I'm comparing more to my DT 480's and A900's.
These are funny beasts, when I initially put them on, I hate them and find the highs grating, but my ears tune to it and I find them pleasing.
Accurate and pleasing none the less. I think I got the headband almost stretched enough.
Anyone find out where to get new pads yet, there's not enough room underneath to shove foam 'cause they seem glued to the cup!?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back