Just arrived! Pioneer Monitor 10 (with pictures)
Jun 17, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #16 of 149
i´ve been lusting for the monitor 10 for a long time, but i already own far to many headphones, so i never bought one.
i dont think there are too many headfi owners though; i have only seen two other owners so far, and no one with the new sr-monitor 10

Jun 17, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #17 of 149
darn those shore are purty

Jun 17, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #18 of 149
I own a pair but haven't listened to them in some time.
I think I'll have to take them out and give them another whirl.

Jun 18, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #19 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First out, is Daft Punk - Alive 2007. I play it first because I have not been a happy listener through any of my other cans. The Sennheiser HD580 has too boomy bass for this record which is already boomy. The Sennheiser HD414 instead lacks bass and is rather sterile. The Philips 910 especially but also the Philips 890 bass is too soft. Note that I have no other closed cans to compare with.

I comment on the bass first, because that's the most important ingredient in this record, in my opinion. The Pioneer Monitor 10 does it just right for this record, I think, with a bass with sharp edges (if you know what I mean), but hard hitting. (But still less of it compared to the HD580, as I mentioned).

(Also I have not matched the play volume with the other cans here, but I have not been happy with the other cans at any volume I have tried)

as much as i love daft punk, the alive 2007 album isn't recorded too well, but i didn't expect much better from a live recording. try any of their recent albums (aside from alive) if you want to hear amazing recordings.

Jun 18, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #20 of 149
The Daft Punk Alive 2007 sounds good from the Monitor 10. I want to hear amazing music, not amazing recordings. (Altough an amazing recording might help, especially with the HD580...)

EDIT: I take it back. You were right, the Human After All CD sounds much better.

I have not seen any positive reviews of the newer 10R model (In fact I have only found one review of it.)

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #23 of 149
The seller did not know how old mine are. No more than 30 years, for sure. Although they look brand new. They have probably been in a drawer for all those years just waiting to be sent to me :)

The 10R seems very uncommon. I don't know if it is even in production anymore.

Jul 29, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #24 of 149
Oh yeah! I just got my Pioneer Studio 10 headphones two days ago through an auction on ebay! I was inspired by this post and decided to place a bid. And what a huge surprise!!!

Mine look at least as good as the ones in the photos above, if not better. They're remarkably pristine, as though they had been stored away and untouched for years. Hard to believe they are from '74.

The sound is incredibly balanced. Indeed studio monitor headphones. Compared to my Ultrasone Proline 650s, they're much more balanced. And they don't have boomy bass, but they have enough to make them perfect studio monitor headphones.

I'm surprised by the details in these headphones, and the soundstage is amazing! Compared to my old AKG K141. They sound like they have the S-logic of the Ultrasone included; astounding from headphones from the mid -seventies. The Ultrasone has much more volume and depth to offer, but yet you can hear the nuances of your mix just perfectly with the Pioneers.

Please remember, these are studio monitor headphones. If you try to listen to mp3s with these, you will hear all the gritty distortion that only the mp3 compression can offer. They are not boomy on the bass and they don't have the super high frequency response that you can hear in today's headphones. They have enough frequency response on both sides of the scale for me to work on my electronic music productions.

They are very comfortable, but not as comfortable as the Sennheiser. A little heavy on the head for prolonged use, but you won't notice until after you put on other headphones. I wonder if anyone has the operation manual for these. It would be great if someone could post it here.

I would be very happy to compare these to the last Pioneer 10R. Meanwhile, I feel very lucky to have these headphones.

Jul 29, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #27 of 149
No, the piece that has the L and R on it, that holds the screw that holds the metal cup holders is made of plastic.

5375d1213718837-just-arrived-pioneer-monitor-10-pictures-m10_side_small.jpg

Aug 19, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #30 of 149
Yeaaaah!!! Nice picture!! They look as fresh as the day they were born! I just found more photos from some ebay auction, but I still want to get a nice scan of the Operation Guide so that it's readable.

I'm also curious about comparing them to other studio monitor headphones from the same time period, such as AKG K-340,K-400,K-501..of course the old version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back