Just arrived! Pioneer Monitor 10 (with pictures)
Oct 4, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #136 of 149
This is a wonderful sounding headphone. The design is incredible but a bit heavy. I forgot I had them on my head very quickly. Does anyone have any idea about what's the optimal way upgrading'em. Tought about making a 3.5mm jack-female solution, but have no idea about how difficult it is. It would've destroyed some of the absolutely top of the line product-design. Lots of examples on years without any product in any category that look so amazing are distributed. Product design couldn't be better in my opinion. I'll experinent with different pads around the ears, even if I use some totally ok now, I may improve the comfort even more. I think I would've bough'em even with crappish sound due to the eminent design. If you get the chance to buy them and own an ok rig @ home = DO IT!

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #137 of 149
I'm glad that i got them off of eBay a while ago ! I stored them away for a few months and just rediscovered them as i bought a new amp :)

For testing them i use a Steinberg UR-22 set at 88.2khz Sampling Frequency and run them via Double Mono 6.3 to Chinch through to my Kenwood KA-880SD which has nearly Zero Self Noise with its Sigma Drive Circuit and a decent Headphone Pre Amp and i have to say , even though i own a Pair of Sennheiser HD 380 Pro's i still would prefer the Pioneer Monitor 10 over them!

If you compare the Sound of the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro to the Monitor 10's the Pioneers very Naturally and Clean and have a very Balanced sound (lots of people already mentioned this i guess) and a Excellent Soundstage. Which is exactly what i want as a Drum 'n Bass Producer :)

I'm writing this right now as im listening to them (Styx - Midnight Ride recorded at 24bit/44khz off of a Croatian Thorens/RIZ GM-5010 Turntable with Unitra MF-101 Needle) and i have to say they just have an amazing Sound Stage , especially if it comes to Music that was generated in the Era they were Released :)

But that doesnt mean that those Headphones dont Sound Good on Newer Generation Music like Drum and Bass or similar , have tryed that too with Synkro - Dwelling and they deliver , they just do
beyersmile.png

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #138 of 149
There is a miracle auction on ebay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Vintage-PIONEER-Monitor-10-Stereo-Headphones-in-Original-Box-/262236013166?hash=item3d0e7c026e:g:xf_eek:mQAAOSwJkJWlEUh

One in a lifetime occasion for someone with money to spend :).
It's not my auction by any means, I just found it fascinating. Headphones like these, in a box for so many many years, still like new.

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #139 of 149
Hello all ive had my monitor 10s for about half a year now and it seems the right channel is louder in the lower frequencys than the left side and it can be felt when the left side cannot has anyone else experienced this issue? It wasn't like this when I first obtained them.

Jan 26, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #140 of 149
It may be a driver failing or solders getting loose. Or maybe the foam/earpad is more damaged on one side than the other. Or something else entirely.
Headphones as old as these are bound to have problems. They are, after all, about 40 years old! :frowning2:

Jan 26, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #141 of 149
Well yeah i opened them and looked closer at the drivers and well it seems the foam ring arount the edge of the driver is damaged on the left side and also it wasnt tighly attatched and on the left side it was coming disattatched and when i put the headphones back togethger they seemed to half almost destroyed all the sound quality of the right chanel the left sounds fine but the right just sounds like a lot is missing from it so im just going to Buy another pair and sit these on a shelf since i have no way to repair the driver myself and it would cost about as much to get it fixed as get another pair.but dont wory i have a vintage pair of bose speakers to use in their place so im good to go and i have my eye on an auction on ebay now so i might get them soon!

Edit: i attempted repair of the foam on the right seems to sound better now the bass isnt overwhelming now but im going to have a friend who has better hearing listen to them and see if its ok 

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #142 of 149
These vintage headphones are fantastic both regarding sound-quality & industrial design! It's something with the sound that refuses you to even consider taking them off! I'll upgrade mine with new cabling all the way. I'll get new pads as well. They are definetely worth some effort to make them even better

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #144 of 149
Today I bought a Pioneer Monitor 10 from 1978 from a collector. The moment I tested them seriously it was hard taking them off. The lower bass is weak. Other then that, they are so pleasant. I don't really find them heavy and the fit is very comfortable. The isolation is very good. They are not as good as my MDR V6-es, still I like them more than my Creative Aurvana Lives. They somehow really work with house, know the tracks were 128 bits WMAs. I'm now playing Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield, FLAC. The Monitor 10 is very impressive. The detail could be better for the instrument seperation isn't up to par with the V6-es and the Aurvana Lives. The same goes for the balance.

Really, I like the these headphones. They look rather cool too.

Try to place w headband further back on your head. That improve the quality a lot! Particularly the bass!

Apr 12, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #145 of 149
Bought a pair on Ebay, should be on their way. The Pads look like this:

Not very nice,  but think I heard that the SE Pioneer pads might fit?

I´m a member of a Vintage Audio forum where we use Lacrosse Rubber Conditioner on old surrounds on bass speakers, might work on the drivers. I´m going to give it a go.

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #146 of 149
So this'll be my first post.  I've been lurking and listening a while, and what I've been hearing definitely informed this most recent purchase.  I was actually bidding on Pioneer SE-L40's when I accidentally won an auction for Monitor 10's for $48 (!!!).  I put in a relatively low bid while I was cruising through the SE-L40's on eBay, and one night when I got home, I had a message saying I'd won the Monitor 10's (it was my birthday, so I assume The Fates had something to do with it).

Anyway... I can't believe these things.  I bid on them based on the looks and the positive reviews here on Head-Fi (then did a lot more reading after I won them).  They are definitely exceeding my expectations.  This pair was found in a cabinet at an estate sale, so who knows how long they sat dormant, but the good news is that even though the metal is a little dinged up and the "chrome" on the plastic around the edge of the pads is flaking a bit, the pads themselves are in great condition (both the foam and the covers) and seal quite well.  To be honest, I'm actually almost relieved that the metal parts are a little dinged up, so I can actually use them and not be so precious about handling them.  Once I got them "dialed in" (quite literally with these), the fit was much more comfortable than I expected, and though they are heavy, it's kind of comforting, like the lead blanket at the dentist's office or a nice, heavy down comforter.

My "go to" for the past three months or so has been AKG K553's with a Leckerton UHA-6SmkII with the OPA627.  As an audio recording guy, I go for a pretty clinical sound, and thus I get my "excitement" from the sound stage.  I purchased the K553 because they seemed like the best closed design headphones in my price range that would deliver a decent sound stage, and they definitely don't disappoint (they blow my previous "travelers," the ATH-M50x out of the water).  However, I'm finding that the Monitor 10's are even more interesting in the "sound stage" category.

Currently I am tethered to my Carver C-2 preamp because it has a 1/4" headphone port (and that means I'm listening to everything on vinyl right now).  I can't believe there are only four viable options for a cabled 1/4" female to 1/8" male adapter for people with vintage cans that only have a 1/4" plug (Sennheiser, Grado, Cardas and the uber-cheap Hosa).  And all four options have a rather large housing on the male adapter end so they can't fit in a recessed hole (like if there is a case involved).  Is there really not a greater market for this item?  The solid body (no cable) adapter puts way to much strain on either the headphone port and/or the adapter itself (I have had many of the tips on these types of adapters break off --in fact, that's why I currently have no adapter and can't listen to the Monitor 10's via my Leckerton), so a cable is really the only decent ("correct?") option.  I think I may start building this type of cable adapter and offering it for sale (without the typical insane price tag so often seen on "custom cables").  I ordered some parts last night, and today I started taking apart various adapters and cables I had laying around to start prototyping.

Anyway, back to the Monitor 10's... there have been a couple of times that the instrument separation was almost disturbing, but I think that'll evolve as a sort of "acquired taste" (like how Bourbon tasted like kerosene the fist time I imbibed, but now it tastes like sweet nectar of the gods).  You can just really hear how each instrument lives in its own place with these headphones.  It's quite amazing.  At first, it overshadowed the listening experience a bit, especially since vocals were sounding a little recessed (this was especially true with "Those Shoes" by the Eagles), but I think as the drivers "wake up" as someone else has put it, things are getting better.  I am letting them "burn in/revive" by leaving them plugged in while I'm working and listening to vinyl via my Magneplanars, but "Eye in the Sky" by Alan Parsons Project just came on and I had to don the Monitor 10's for a moment.  To be immersed in the musical experience like that is fantastic (and the mids and vocals seem to be emerging from their previous cocoon).

Anyway, many thanks to all have posted regarding these headphones who helped tip me over the edge to purchase them.  I love them.

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #147 of 149
Congrats on your purchase :).
I can't claim the same listening experience as you since mine have HM5 pads on. But there is something distinctly special about Monitor 10s sound. Mine are being powered by Aune X1s+X7s combo and what I'm experiencing is basically like all my albums were vinyls - which they're not. The mids especially, the vocals and acoustic instruments are like an undulating stream of steaming green tea (how's that for a description :D). And I find these require quite a bit of power to get them going but when they do get going... Oh my goodness.
Sometime in the future I'd maybe try and recable these into balanced connection. May not though for the fear of breaking something. They are after all older than I am.

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #148 of 149
  in the future I'd maybe try and recable these into balanced connection. May not though for the fear of breaking something. They are after all older than I am.

Yeah... I was thinking about the possibility of recabling (the coiled cord is really the *only* thing about these that I'm not wild about).  But I was reading about the pads being glued on vs. just tucked in and people having problems disassembling because of that.  Though... I just peeled back one of the pads and the glue seems to give pretty easily (and remain tacky to put it back on).  The glue doesn't seem to be as tricky as I was expecting (maybe I got lucky again), and there was a screw right where I peeled it back, so maybe I'll give it a go.  What I am most interested in is how the "swivel" where the cable enters the headphone housing works, and if that would be a good place to implement a mini xlr connector for a removable cable... especially if I can keep the "swivel" function intact.  The other option would be to just cut the coiled cable right before it starts coiling (about 4 inches from the headphones) and ad a mini XLR connector there.  That way I wouldn't need to open up the assembly and wouldn't be messing with the swivel part.  I could then switch out whatever cables I build at the mini xlr connector.  This wouldn't allow for a balanced cable configuration, but at least it would be an easy way to lose the coil (and have a detachable cable).

Oct 25, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #149 of 149
Oh, I have mine recabled already :). Check here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/335475/just-arrived-pioneer-monitor-10-with-pictures/120#post_11368551 .
Taking the pads off is not a big deal, save for some residue cleaning. I did not do the recabling myself, Forza did and he said the swivel was kind of an issue for him. That is why I'm hesitant to rip his work apart and try balanced. Maybe I should just buy another pair...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back