Just arrived! Pioneer Monitor 10 (with pictures)
Jan 7, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #106 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i find the monitor 10 has bass thats hits a very low note. not head rattling, but smooth and definitely present. its hard to compare vintage and modern cans, as the sound range has increased greatly in modern cans.
imo comparing these to a v6 or cal! is apples and oranges. i sold off my v6 and cal! long ago but still have the pioneer.
smily_headphones1.gif
keep in mind that i love vintage cans

You are right, hard to compere vintage hps to the new ones, but still the monitor 10 have few advantage like the flat FR a nice sound stage and they do hit the 30hz area, and as studio monitor hps they are very analytical.
smile.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #107 of 149
For all those with more experienced ears, my apologies. The Monitor 10s are more addicting than my V6-es. The lower bass just gets better and classical music sounds heavenly. 'Chop Suey' by System of a Down never sounded so good. I must now take off the Monitor 10s before...

They are off, good night.

P.S. My MDR V6-es are the 1985 model and my first serieus headphones. Comparing them with the Monitor 10s may be incorrect. Even so the V6-es are my reference for now. Don't get me wrong. (I had to edit this short explanation just to clarify my reasoning.)

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #108 of 149
The Pioneer Monitor 10r (2004) is in. It's on my head connected to a Fiio E5 connected to my trusty Nokia 6303 playing Kagrra tracks in 320 kbps WMAs. The sound is really good and even at higher volumes the music sounds soft.

After a 48/50 hours burn in I can really start comparing it to my oldie. Who would like an old versus new impression? I might add the MDR V6 just for the fun of it.

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #109 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Pioneer Monitor 10r (2004) is in. It's on my head connected to a Fiio E5 connected to my trusty Nokia 6303 playing Kagrra tracks in 320 kbps WMAs. The sound is really good and even at higher volumes the music sounds soft.

After a 48/50 hours burn in I can really start comparing it to my oldie. Who would like an old versus new impression? I might add the MDR V6 just for the fun of it.

Good idea
beerchug.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #110 of 149
Quote:

X2 I was wondering about the 10R, impression will be great
beerchug.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #111 of 149
Quote:

Looking forward to it!
happy_face1.gif

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #113 of 149
At the moment I'm testing the old Pioneer. Later on the new Pioneer and V6 will undergo my extensive track list. I even added Tubular Bells 1973 Part One. By the Weekend I should be done.

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #115 of 149
I might be joining the club.. The style & build are incredible..In some ways they look sturdier then the DT48 which is quite a feat.. I love the industrial look, FR, analytical, but with more bass then the DT48.. Seem smoother & more involving.. If/when I get a pair I will give you my 2 cents, & make comparisons.. Seriously good studio headphones are such a steal, no over head cost, marketing, no exotic or luxury, like many expensive 'audiophile' headphones.. Just a true blue color worker doing their job & doing it well..

Jul 6, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #117 of 149
Like a previous writer in this thread, I'm intrigued by the "free edge design" description in the Monitor 10 manual. The photo of the driver on Wikiphonia doesn't reveal any radical differences, unless it's the foam (?) at the periphery.

Any information on this?

Oct 28, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #119 of 149
Quote:
i find the monitor 10 has bass thats hits a very low note. not head rattling, but smooth and definitely present. its hard to compare vintage and modern cans, as the sound range has increased greatly in modern cans.

I must agree with you. Maybe a bit late but I tested the Pioneer with the all to known Massive Attack track "Angel" and plugged the Pioneer into my SRC2496. I can be short about it: bass is deep indeed, deeper than it sounds in comparison with other headphones. Something else, for some reason "Angel" sounds scary with my old Pioneer as if the low and dark sounds are surrounding me with their ever growing presence.

Time to make some notes...

P.S. "Teardrop" as exposed as it sounds dangerously trippy and beautiful... 

Nov 21, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #120 of 149
Sundays are always fine for some tinkering. I cleaned up my Monitor 10:s that's basically been laying in their box since I bought them in June, opened the cups and dusted drivers and pads. I took a close look at the driver's diaphragm as I - like Defective Audio Component - wondered what Pioneer meant with their "free edge design". Apparently it's only the suspension along the edge, doped fabric of some sort, which resembles ordinary loudspeaker suspensions. Also notice the quite high and rounded centre dome:

The suspension may be the first of its kind in headphones as a contemporary Sony design glues the edge of the polyester diaphragm directly to the frame:

It would be very interesting to compare with the HD414 driver which is supposed to be among the earliest "microphone membrane" headphone drivers. I was surprised by the thickness of the Monitor 10 voice coil wire, glued on top of the diaphragm, less so by the thickness and stiffness of the membrane itself which is typical of its age. This means quite a hefty moving mass, far away from today's paper thin (well, actually thinner) diaphragms - stiffened by ridges - and wires so thin they are barely visible.

Yet this dinosaur sounds quite good! It can't move enough air to reproduce the deepest bass, and the thick diaphragm probably sets limits, but it's balanced and quite detailed. A couple of hours listening to rock, jazz and classics has been quite inspiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back