Just arrived! Pioneer Monitor 10 (with pictures)
Aug 17, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #92 of 149
Well, twenty minutes into this, I would say I am seeing some definite minuses. One of my fave tracks is the Propellerheads' History Repeating with Shirley Bassey. These cans just cannot handle that track, and it may be because of their age. They distort heavily on some of the horn and vocal passages. And in general, I have noticed on the more dynamic passages in all the cuts I have listened to so far, they sound fairly compressed. Some of that could be the placement sensitivity I alluded to above, but there is no question they are pushed by dynamic recordings.

Aug 17, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #93 of 149
I do like them, but I am not sure I would go so far as to say they reveal the HD800s contrary coloration. Definitely sensitive, and yes prone to clipping.

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #94 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pale Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do like them, but I am not sure I would go so far as to say they reveal the HD800s contrary coloration. Definitely sensitive, and yes prone to clipping.

Just a different generations...the Monitor 10 are by the book, flat FR like the K-1000.

Aug 18, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #95 of 149
Quote:

Well, twenty minutes into this, I would say I am seeing some definite minuses. One of my fave tracks is the Propellerheads' History Repeating with Shirley Bassey. These cans just cannot handle that track, and it may be because of their age. They distort heavily on some of the horn and vocal passages. And in general, I have noticed on the more dynamic passages in all the cuts I have listened to so far, they sound fairly compressed. Some of that could be the placement sensitivity I alluded to above, but there is no question they are pushed by dynamic recordings.

Distortion and clipping... not nice. Is that driven from a good strong amp?

Aug 18, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #96 of 149
If only some company today could make a super durable and good looking head assembly like this today.
I want my Dx1000s to use this head assembly.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #98 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Distortion and clipping... not nice. Is that driven from a good strong amp?

RSA Apache.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #99 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a different generations...the Monitor 10 are by the book, flat FR like the K-1000.

I agree that's what the graph says, but I think it's more than different generations. I've been listening to decent headphones since my first pair of Sen HD414. But that was my last Senn until I got the 800. Flat FR graphs are but one part of the story. We all know that flat FR in speakers or headphones only means so much until we actually get the delivered SQ in the listening environment. Granted, most heads & ears are easier to plan for in the headphone environment than the incredible variations in listening rooms.

The 10s may have a flat FR, but that doesn't make them uncolored. It also doesn't address the issue of instrument location, clarity, detail, air, etc., all those aspects of a driver that contribute to SQ. And even though flat on the graph, I would have to say that lack of tautness in the bass, and the absence of bass in that lower register indicate something is missing.

Could be the age of the cans. I want to emphasize that I am not unhappy with these at all. I like them very much, and as I said, they are very impressive considering when they were designed. No regrets. Build quality is quite nice, though I am not one of those like David who are all over Sennheiser for the HD800 build. I am quite satisfied with that unit as well, and while I can see its aesthetics might not appeal to some, they're fine by me. Variety is nice.

Once I get the other set in that I ordered, I will compare them, before delivering the one set as a gift to my friend.

Aug 19, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #100 of 149
My second Monitor 10 arrived today, in its original, albeit worn, box. Looks like it hasn't been touched for a long time. Will fire it up soon and see how it sounds.

Aug 19, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #101 of 149
Quote:

My second Monitor 10 arrived today, in its original, albeit worn, box. Looks like it hasn't been touched for a long time. Will fire it up soon and see how it sounds.

Take some time for the drivers to kick in.

Aug 19, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #102 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take some time for the drivers to kick in.

Agreed. I noticed that set #1 sounded a bit smoother today, a little less edginess, particularly when getting close to distortion.

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #103 of 149
Today I bought a Pioneer Monitor 10 from 1978 from a collector. The moment I tested them seriously it was hard taking them off. The lower bass is weak. Other then that, they are so pleasant. I don't really find them heavy and the fit is very comfortable. The isolation is very good. They are not as good as my MDR V6-es, still I like them more than my Creative Aurvana Lives. They somehow really work with house, know the tracks were 128 bits WMAs. I'm now playing Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield, FLAC. The Monitor 10 is very impressive. The detail could be better for the instrument seperation isn't up to par with the V6-es and the Aurvana Lives. The same goes for the balance.

Really, I like the these headphones. They look rather cool too.

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #104 of 149
Maybe the sound will change a little bit soon, this old drivers need some run enjoy your vintage cans.
beerchug.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #105 of 149
i find the monitor 10 has bass thats hits a very low note. not head rattling, but smooth and definitely present. its hard to compare vintage and modern cans, as the sound range has increased greatly in modern cans.
imo comparing these to a v6 or cal! is apples and oranges. i sold off my v6 and cal! long ago but still have the pioneer.
smily_headphones1.gif
keep in mind that i love vintage cans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back