Just added the new J Money ear pads to my new AH-D7000
Dec 15, 2010 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

HyperM3

100+ Head-Fier
So for the past few days I've been breaking in my new headphones on my desk looking forward to using them as they sound awesome every time I've put them on so far. However, before I got my headphones delivered but knew they were ordered, I ordered the new ear pads from J-Money. I had only read reviews and basically this was THE mod to do to these headphones.

Well they finally came in today so I was excited to put them on. First off, I saw the package was a typical light brown soft shipping packet. Figured the ear pads were stuffed in there or if anything had bubble wrap around them. To my delightful surprise, they actually were protected by a nice cloth sack. Nice touch!

After looking at the pads compared to the original ones, they seemed to be a little thicker. They were also not as soft(squishy?). Seems that J-Money is using some new type of memory foam which makes it stiffer at first. OK, I just went with it. Now when you are removing the OEM pads, you have to note theres a plastic ring with 4 tabs that lock into the case. If you just try to pull these off you will break or snap them. Also, you could be twisting the OEM ear pad for days until you realize that you aren't twisting the plastic ring at all. I kind of pried up the plastic ring just a little bit and grabbed onto that with my thumb and forefinger then tried twisting off. This seemed to work for me without any issues. I cannot take any blame if you break yours doing it the same way, so use caution.

After removing one of them, I compared the new one and the OEM one together. You can see that the J-Money one on the right actually has a larger inner opening. Plus you can see the actual leather being thicker than the OEM vinyl(?) type padding cover.

Also you can see how much thicker the depth of the pad is compared to the OEM one here(J-Money on the right). This actually was something of use for me since I have a smaller head, the OEM pads seemed slightly loose. Now theres a slight bit of pressure making me feel that the headphones are a bit more secure on my head.

I havent really given it much time on the ears to see the comfort but right off the bat they seem to mold to the side of my head. My ears fit perfectly inside and I think the added depth gives it just a wince of wider soundstage. Could be a placebo effect but Ill take it.

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 6
How do they sound compared to stock?  I don't like the small openings on the stock pads.  I agree that the stock pads are too small to have a firm grip on the head.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
How do they sound compared to stock?  I don't like the small openings on the stock pads.  I agree that the stock pads are too small to have a firm grip on the head.

Honestly, I didnt have them long enough to comment. I sold them and moved into ED-8's which is what Ive really always wanted. I have smallerish ears I guess because they fit fine in the smaller openings of the ED-8's. Never had any issues with the D7000's. They did have better clamping force for my peanut head because the J$ pads are a bit thicker. If I was going to use headphones at home only I would never have gotten rid of these as they sounded awesome. Unfortunately I needed a pair to travel with and these just arent them.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the update. I guess I'll buy a pair to try. No mention of return policy on JMoney site.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 6
I cant imagine there would be a return policy for something thats handmade by an independent person. That being said, it does take a bit for him to make them and then send out. Be patient, its definitely worth it. Im sure you could resell them on here if you didnt like them. I have yet to read a review on here from someone who wasnt happy though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back