Just about to Pull the Trigger on DENNON AHD2000
Jun 15, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #46 of 60
I would love to try a DT770/600 one day, but i will never trust beyerdynamic again. Right now I'm more focused on getting that deoxit kit --> cleaning the tube pins on my tube amp, try rolling some other tubes to see if that helps, but if all else fails, Sennheiser HD650, here i come
beerchug.gif

Jun 15, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #48 of 60
Jun 15, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #49 of 60

Quote:
I don't personally have any treble problems with the D2000.  Some people do though.  And some people complain about sibilance.  But I think some of that is due to people under-amping them, trying to drive them with a portable amp or a USB powered DAC or some other under-amped source.  I'm not sensitive to or bothered by sibilance (I own a SR325is after all) so any sibilance with the D2000 isn't an issue for me.  I consider the D2000 to just give whatever sibilance is in the recording without adding to it or softening it.  A headphone like the HD600 softens sibilance.  Some headphones like a Sony V6 will add to sibilance.

D2000 is sibilant whether you properly amp it or not, it just happens to be one of its weaknesses. You obviously don't mind this coming from SR325i..one of my least favorite Grado.

Jun 15, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #50 of 60
For the OP something you might want to consider is the burn in time. The Denons will require a ton of burn in (from what I have seen here 250 - 300 hrs) for their sound to hit their full potential. The good news is that with that burn in some of the bassiness does go away. If your still not satisfied with the sound then I would consider doing the MarkL mod and see how that helps.

Jun 15, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #51 of 60

Quote:
D2000 is sibilant whether you properly amp it or not, it just happens to be one of its weaknesses. You obviously don't mind this coming from SR325i..one of my least favorite Grado.

Which is why I said I personally have no problem with the highs or sibilance but some people do.  Different people hear sibilance and peaks in the highs differently.  Some people are more bothered or more focused on those problems than others.

Jun 15, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #52 of 60
Quote:
For the OP something you might want to consider is the burn in time. The Denons will require a ton of burn in (from what I have seen here 250 - 300 hrs) for their sound to hit their full potential. The good news is that with that burn in some of the bassiness does go away. If your still not satisfied with the sound then I would consider doing the MarkL mod and see how that helps.

My bass is going to go away? Say it ain't so!

Jun 15, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #53 of 60
I'm pleased with the bass on my Denons. Apparently my experience with the bass was much different than most. When I first got them I compared them to my HD280s which are bass light and found the bass to be maybe slightly greater. Now though the bass is great more prominent than before but fitting to the music. I do feel my experience is atypical though.

Jun 15, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #54 of 60
After burn in, the bass tightens up a little. But is still a good bass for techno music, some people differ on his opinions regarding the bass. 

Jun 15, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #55 of 60

Quote:

I'm guessing the Denon D2000 might be the ones that i could live with since their treble isn't too fatiguing. But i have read that the bass on the HD650's scale quite well for all types of music. It may not have the oomph or sub bass kick that I'm looking for, but as long as Equalizing isn't necessary and the treble is smooth, I will be a very happy camper.  How would you rate the bass on the HD600's tho?

The bass on the HD600 fills in and doesn't leave me thinking music is bass light.  The bass is full enough.  But it lacks punch.  The punch escapes out of the open back and never makes it back to the ears.  That's a problem with a lot of open headphones.  If you try to get punch from the HD600 you'll find yourself listening to them too loud.  If you get them loud with the right electronic music you can get your jowls vibrating.  There's lots of open headphones that can't do that.  But that's also louder than I like to listen.

You can hear the bass drum thuds in rock music.  But the thuds are missing the lower frequencies and the punch.  You just hear the thud and don't feel it.  Listen on a D2000 and you get both the lower frequencies and the slight punch.

Bass on the HD600 is tighter.   If I'm trying to listen to something like the fingering by a jazz bass player I'll use the HD600 rather than the D2000.  The HD600 lacks in the sub-bass, the really low stuff is not there.  The D2000 has the way down low sub-bass.

I never get the urge to boost the bass on the HD600 so the bass is filling in well enough for me.  I do sometimes add bass boost to my Grado SR325is with bass light songs.  When I listen to the K701 at meets and demos I'm always floored by the complete lack of bass (the bass does not fill in at all).  So all in all the HD600 bass does OK.  The D2000 bass does better for me though.

Jun 15, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #56 of 60
So Ham,

do you think i should opt for a Senn HD600 or a HD650 if i decide to sell my beyers?  Bass and impact like the DT990/D2000 is important to me, but I'm not sure if the HD650's will mustard up to the task if i decide on keeping just this headphone for everything 

or maybe get a HD600 for now and D2000 later when i upgrade to a Woo Audio 6 or something? What do you think ! Oh, and comfort is also a big + for me.

Jun 15, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #58 of 60
Quote:

Well not quite go away. Best way to put it is that its going to be more controlled.

That's good then.  It could stand to be a little tighter.

Quote:
So Ham,

do you think i should opt for a Senn HD600 or a HD650 if i decide to sell my beyers?  Bass and impact like the DT990/D2000 is important to me, but I'm not sure if the HD650's will mustard up to the task if i decide on keeping just this headphone for everything 

or maybe get a HD600 for now and D2000 later when i upgrade to a Woo Audio 6 or something? What do you think ! Oh, and comfort is also a big + for me.

I didn't think the HD650 had nearly as much bass impact as the 990/600s or the D2000s.  Everything else about them was better, but not better enough for me to give up my bass.  A pair of HD580s I heard seemed to sit in between the D2000s and the HD650s.  Unfortunately I'm out of details.  I didn't take notes on it because I knew I didn't want to scour ebay and the FS forum to find something I wouldn't be all that sure about.  If you're up to it, then it might be worth looking around for a pair.

Jun 15, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #59 of 60

Quote:
So Ham,

I've only listened to the HD650 at meets and always with amps that I'm not familiar with.  Never yet done a head to head comparison of the HD650 to the HD600.  So I don't really know.  I bought the HD600 over a decade ago, before the HD650 existed.  Never had to decide between HD650 and HD600.  And now that I have the HD600 I haven't been curious enough to fuss over whether the HD650 would be better for me.

The HD600/HD650 do clamp the head rather firmly.  If you have a large head they can be uncomfortable.  If you have a small head (like me) they are comfortable for all day marathon listening and smooth enough that the ears don't get fatigued (as long as you keep the volume reasonable).

Jun 15, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #60 of 60
Wow, great thread. 
My dime store opinion is that these are my go to headphones.  Yes, as many have said it's extremely subjective.  I would try them.  Forgive me if you've already grabbed a pair, I only read the first page. 

***Extremely important to give them a good 50-100 hours (just guestimating) before they really start to shine. 

But yes, I think a proper amp is essential.  Running them directly out of the source or with an underpowered portable amp will leave you wanting more. 

These have great punch and clarity to my ears. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back