JRiver Media Center 19 is better!
Apr 4, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #62 of 178

JRiver Media Center will play ALAC fine.

good to hear this because I read on this thread :

"The ALAC files are going to be a problem. You can get J River to play ALAC files, but J River will not write to ALAC tags. ...By default J River will play ALAC files through QuickTime. QuickTime bypasses the J River audio engine and all of the goodness and benefits it has.... "

--> have thing changed by now ?

Also, is there a version of JrIVER specific for  WindowsTablet ?  I tried using Jriver with my finger.... not so good without the mouse !

by the way, For my HUGO, I found another source "less exotic" than the Panasonic 7" tablet: 

SURFACE PRO 2  + JRiver  (w. 512 Gb internal memory ! )  

see here a thread about using a Surface PRO as music server 

what do you think ? 

Apr 4, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #63 of 178
confused.gif
  I read somewhere here :" ...I loaded jRiver Media center using WASAPI with exclusive access to the Bifrost DAC....Going back to the Sound properties in Control Panel, I selected the default format to use 24bit, 96000 Hz when running in shared mode
eek.gif

can't understand a word !!

what are:   WASAPI ?  exclusive accès ? shared mode ?

--> why the guy isn't JUST loading  jRiver, connect a USB DAC/AMP,  and listen to his music ??
basshead.gif

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #64 of 178
Apr 5, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #65 of 178
Originally Posted by bmichels /img/forum/go_quote.gif

why the guy isn't JUST loading  jRiver, connect a USB DAC/AMP,  and listen to his music ?

as in PNP? you mad bro
evil_smiley.gif

be very careful with magical thinking "audio optimization" tutorials, there are often great advices in there but they are usually drown into a lot of counter-productive tweaks.

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #66 of 178
When i check under Audio Path, it says that its outputting at 32 bit. AFAIK, my dac (fiio e17) supports 24 bit at the highest. I only notice this when im using optical instead of USB. Also i sometimes get random popups from Jriver asking me to download real player, How do i stop this? I only have .mp3, .flac, .m4a, and .wv

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #67 of 178
  When i check under Audio Path, it says that its outputting at 32 bit. AFAIK, my dac (fiio e17) supports 24 bit at the highest. I only notice this when im using optical instead of USB. Also i sometimes get random popups from Jriver asking me to download real player, How do i stop this? I only have .mp3, .flac, .m4a, and .wv

Probably it is just ignoring the extra bits. I get the same thing with my Hiface 2 if I select asio. When I select another output driver I can select 24 bit output which is correct for my device. I use Kernal Streaming and it works fine for me set at 24bit. I would suggest you try changing your output selection and specifying 24bit. 

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #68 of 178
  Probably it is just ignoring the extra bits. I get the same thing with my Hiface 2 if I select asio. When I select another output driver I can select 24 bit output which is correct for my device. I use Kernal Streaming and it works fine for me set at 24bit. I would suggest you try changing your output selection and specifying 24bit. 

seems like 24 bit in a 32 bit package is the only one that fits my hardware. Choosing 24 bit outputs static noises. thanks.

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #69 of 178
  do i choose 24 bit or 24 bit in a 32 big package? 

The settings may be different within JRiver depending on your specific driver. What I mean is that your driver choices may not be the exact same as mine depending on your dac. I would suggest if you are using a dac or any interface that is limited to 24bits you select that as your option within JRiver output settings.The only reason you would choose a 32bit package is if  you were connecting to a 32 bit device.

If you have any further problem you might try listing your equipment chain here so we can give more specific advice.

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #70 of 178
Hello guys,

Can you help a novice, please ! ? I purchased jriver yesterday. ( after a free trial, some months ago. ) I had previously ripped all my cd's to flac 44.1, and during the free trial period I converted a couple of albums to dsd...or I should say dsf ?
I had forgotten about these two converted albums, when I had noticed them in my Sony media go library. I transferred them to my Sony F886 Hi Res Walkman, and was pleasantly surprised that they were reading 192/24.
The only problem is, there is a loudish clicking noise at the end of every song, ( beginning of. ) I purchased jriver in the hope to rectify this, but adding my F886 to jriver & converting to dsd / dsf, doesn't appear to work, i.e. conversion / playback 192/24 ??
Could anyone advise please ? Should it be possible for conversion & plackback of 192/24 via jriver ? ( regards Walkman's ) ? If I could get rid of the one second click, I'd be happy !! ( Audio wise, sounds excellent !! )

Apr 15, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #71 of 178
  Hello guys,

Can you help a novice, please ! ? I purchased jriver yesterday. ( after a free trial, some months ago. ) I had previously ripped all my cd's to flac 44.1, and during the free trial period I converted a couple of albums to dsd...or I should say dsf ?
I had forgotten about these two converted albums, when I had noticed them in my Sony media go library. I transferred them to my Sony F886 Hi Res Walkman, and was pleasantly surprised that they were reading 192/24.
The only problem is, there is a loudish clicking noise at the end of every song, ( beginning of. ) I purchased jriver in the hope to rectify this, but adding my F886 to jriver & converting to dsd / dsf, doesn't appear to work, i.e. conversion / playback 192/24 ??
Could anyone advise please ? Should it be possible for conversion & plackback of 192/24 via jriver ? ( regards Walkman's ) ? If I could get rid of the one second click, I'd be happy !! ( Audio wise, sounds excellent !! )

JRiver does not convert to native dsd files it uses dsd over dop/pcm and depending on your selection during encoding 24/192 playback is normal. There are some selections in the tools/options menu you can try which select silence for track change but that click you here is probably the player switching in and out of dsd mode. You might want to check on the JRiver forum as I recall seeing many posts about this. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #73 of 178
  The settings may be different within JRiver depending on your specific driver. What I mean is that your driver choices may not be the exact same as mine depending on your dac. I would suggest if you are using a dac or any interface that is limited to 24bits you select that as your option within JRiver output settings.The only reason you would choose a 32bit package is if  you were connecting to a 32 bit device.

If you have any further problem you might try listing your equipment chain here so we can give more specific advice.

my DAC is Fiio e17. When i select 24 bit, the sound turns into static. However, in foosbar, 24 bit works fine. Since selecting 24 bit (in a 32 bit package) works, what's the difference? 

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #74 of 178
  my DAC is Fiio e17. When i select 24 bit, the sound turns into static. However, in foosbar, 24 bit works fine. Since selecting 24 bit (in a 32 bit package) works, what's the difference? 

Are you using some dsp to oversample with your computer? In JRiver you can select that in dsp output. In Foobar it is most commonly done with sox plugin. Your device is limited to accepting oversampling rates depending on your choice of cable connection. I think for any further help on this you would have to post for someone who owns the same portable device. Your device is limited to 24 bit and depending on your connection may be limited to 24/96khz. If the dac receives a signal it can't lock you will get static or silence.

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #75 of 178
  Are you using some dsp to oversample with your computer? In JRiver you can select that in dsp output. In Foobar it is most commonly done with sox plugin. Your device is limited to accepting oversampling rates depending on your choice of cable connection. I think for any further help on this you would have to post for someone who owns the same portable device. Your device is limited to 24 bit and depending on your connection may be limited to 24/96khz. If the dac receives a signal it can't lock you will get static or silence.

i'm not oversampling anything. I'm using optical so 24/192. Still doesn't explain why 24 bit dones't work in Jriver. BTW i'm using wasapi 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back