JRiver Media Center 18
Dec 23, 2012 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 289

BlackstoneJD

100+ Head-Fier
I just upgraded from version 17 to 18. I think I am hearing some sonic improvements across the board. That is not, however, a touted new feature of the upgrade. I use WASAPI. Food for thought.

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 289
Have you ever used WASAPI Event Style? I don't hear any sonic differences between the two.

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 289
Always event style. Always. Or Direct Sound to mix with other things. Not sure if event style is better than just WASAPI, but it has less issues and glitches for me.

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 289
Quote:
Always event style. Always. Or Direct Sound to mix with other things. Not sure if event style is better than just WASAPI, but it has less issues and glitches for me.

Weird, i also run a lot smoother on Event Style.

Sometimes when i open a song on normal WASAPI the sound would $@*& up, making me have to reopen it 1-2 more times before it runs stable.

Tim

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #5 of 289
Have you ever used WASAPI Event Style? I don't hear any sonic differences between the two.

Normal WASAPI has buffering issues. I just think Media Center 18 sounds better overall.

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 289
Trying out MC18 as I write and I don't really hear any difference but some people hear differences in cables so such comments don't surprise me any more. 
wink.gif

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 289
Quote:
Normal WASAPI has buffering issues. I just think Media Center 18 sounds better overall.

Maybe you used a better cable or better file, because i absolutely hear nothing different between 17 and 18.

However, i've started to use Event Style all the time now, and my songs doesn't glitch anymore and sounds smoother.

Tim

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #8 of 289
Yes I just upgraded from 17 to 18 and the sound quality is better with more detail ,bigger sound stage and dynamic range giving a more "live" and involving sound.
Switching between 17 and 18 the difference is quite obvious.
For those who cannot hear it maybe you setup/system is unable to take advantage of the extra resolution.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 289
I have just upgraded to 18 from 17, after reading this thread and I must say sonic improvements are immediately noticeable....

Initial thoughts:- larger soundstage, more airy, leading edges have more attack, bass is more textured and extends further, Mids more fleshed out. More detail!!! 

What a great $24............

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #10 of 289
Also have just upgraded and there is a sonic difference....I need to get used to it, but I think I like it.

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #11 of 289
i upgrade from 16 to 18 and lost all of my settings, is there a way to get my settings from MC16 into MC18.  Also, my library was imported into 18, but I don't see all of my albums, they are in wav format, all I see are a few albums that are in mp3 format?

I am panicing, can anyone help?

Thanks

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #12 of 289
Quote:
i upgrade from 16 to 18 and lost all of my settings, is there a way to get my settings from MC16 into MC18.  Also, my library was imported into 18, but I don't see all of my albums, they are in wav format, all I see are a few albums that are in mp3 format?

I am panicing, can anyone help?

Thanks

I think the settings only carried over from MC17 to 18.

You should have the MC16 on your PC to refer to for the settings. I still have the MC17. I think you just need to scan for the music files again on MC18

Hope you get everything sorted out and functioning properly!

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #13 of 289
Quote:

I think the settings only carried over from MC17 to 18.

You should have the MC16 on your PC to refer to for the settings. I still have the MC17. I think you just need to scan for the music files again on MC18

Hope you get everything sorted out and functioning properly!

I did the scan and over 5000 files were imported to MC18, but they were all wav files.....I see some files, mp3 and flac, but the wav files do not show up, nor any of the albums where the wav files are located, so obiously MC18 is useless to my until I get an answer.

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #14 of 289
I have wav files which I don't usually listen to, as they have been converted to flac., and keep it in a separate folder. I just scanned this folder and all the wav files play but just a bit messy as I have no meta data in these files....

Did you check wav box when you were installing the MC18? Go to tools > Options > File Types and go through the list to see if you have wav as a file association..

Hope this helps a little. To be honest I am not techie at all :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back