JRiver Media Center 18
Dec 25, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #16 of 289
Quote:
Looks like a tagging issue to me.
JRiver can tag WAV ID3 style but you have to enable it explicitly.

In 16, enable WAV tagging http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WAV_%26_AIFF_Tagging
Then use Library Tools > Update Tags from Library

Roseval,  Thank you very much, you made my day, Merry Christmas!

Great tip, genius of the day!

I would have never found that searching support!

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #17 of 289
Quote:
I have just upgraded to 18 from 17, after reading this thread and I must say sonic improvements are immediately noticeable....

Initial thoughts:- larger soundstage, more airy, leading edges have more attack, bass is more textured and extends further, Mids more fleshed out. More detail!!! 

What a great $24............

After getting all of my settings checked between both MC16 and MC18, and getting the tags straightened out thanks to Roseval's post (thanks again Roseval, I have all of the tag information when I import files again), I have been doing critical listening and A/B of the two versions MC16 and MC18.....I will agree 100% on your impressions that even though jRiver does not acknowledge and sonic differences between MC16 and MC18, these hear the upgrade as you do spkrs01!

A great $24 spent for me as well!  I resample all of my 16/44 to 88, wonder if that is what makes the difference?  I am very happy with the change in sound!

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #18 of 289
I have spent half an hour playing the same tracks in both versions side by side and can't detect any differences, and that with the HE-6. 
confused.gif

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #19 of 289
Quote:
I have spent half an hour playing the same tracks in both versions side by side and can't detect any differences, and that with the HE-6. 
confused.gif

I am resampling to 88 and using crossfeed standard increased spatialization, and playing from memory, also using all wav files!  Really noticing the changes with 24/96 studio masters!  Try it with your 24/96 files, changes there would be more noticable, otherwise try something that is mastered very well, acoustic, but use the best you have got to compare.  Soundstage and airy, biggest change for me, but that would make it sound more detailed.  Maybe spkrs01 could post if he is using resampling to 88 and crossfeed as well!  My headphones have carbon nanotube technology, and I have upgraded the cable to DHC copper!

Sorry you can not notice a change, but I still agree with spkrs01 above!  We all hear differently, check my gears in my sig, that may be a difference from my gears to yours.

Also using Wasapi Event Mode!

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #20 of 289
I still have unstabilities running Media Center 18.

Sometimes it would randomly freeze on close, glitch music files randomly, have a little pop noises here and there.

Hopefully they fix these issues with version 19 or 20.

Options they should update, the way it is, is badly organized.

Tim

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #21 of 289

I am resampling to 88 and using crossfeed standard increased spatialization, and playing from memory, also using all wav files!  Really noticing the changes with 24/96 studio masters!  Try it with your 24/96 files, changes there would be more noticable, otherwise try something that is mastered very well, acoustic, but use the best you have got to compare.  Soundstage and airy, biggest change for me, but that would make it sound more detailed.  Maybe spkrs01 could post if he is using resampling to 88 and crossfeed as well!  My headphones have carbon nanotube technology, and I have upgraded the cable to DHC copper!

Sorry you can not notice a change, but I still agree with spkrs01 above!  We all hear differently, check my gears in my sig, that may be a difference from my gears to yours.

Also using Wasapi Event Mode!

I have lots of Hi Rez files so no resampling, but even on good redbook files, the improvements noted are really apparent.

I do not crossfeed. 

I use MC18 to output using ASIO to a HIFace 2 and into a Violectric V800 Dac and V200 amp. I use a 6n OCC silver usb cable and the rest are all OCC 7n silver/gold hybrid cables plugged into the V800/V200.

Quote:
I still have unstabilities running Media Center 18.

Sometimes it would randomly freeze on close, glitch music files randomly, have a little pop noises here and there.

Hopefully they fix these issues with version 19 or 20.

Options they should update, the way it is, is badly organized.

Tim

That is strange, I am finding the MC18 much better than the MC17 compatibility wise.

I am literally glitch free while on MC17 I was having similar problems as what you are describing. To solve it, I bought a new PC to get rid of all the issues noted.

From using an i5 Sony F laptop to an i7 Sony L desktop. But even with the i7 PC, I couldn't lower my USB steaming nor ASIO buffer size until I upgraded to the MC18. Now I can choose use the minimum settings on my ASIO driver with out the pops and clicks. This leads me to believe that the MC18 ihas more compatibility with Windows.

Dec 26, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #22 of 289
Quote:

I have lots of Hi Rez files so no resampling, but even on good redbook files, the improvements noted are really apparent.

I do not crossfeed.

With MC18 you can set resampling 44.1 to 88.2, and leave the othes at no change (this is new in MC18, just left click in each output to change).  You can experiment to notice improvements in sound.  I found this setting searching for Audiophile settings in jRiver MC, that advanced Audiophiles have been using for a long time, they also explained the reasoning.  It is not upsampling, resampling definition is different, you should look in to it.  I think you would enjoy it.  

I always use crossfeed now....Jan Meier put me on to it when I inquired about his headphone amplifiers (Jan implements crossfeed into his higher end gear, and recommends it).  It is meant to reduce fatigue while listening to headphones/IEM's.  It really works for me, as I listen for hours each day.  It really improves soundstage, separation/imaging.  Look into the exlplanation of crossfeed.  I go into DSP settings and uncheck to Headphones box while listening to my speaker system, very easy to toggle back and forth.  You can do the same while listening to headphones to toggle crossfeed on and off to experiement with the different levels.  I use crossfeed standard increased spatialization always while listening to phones!

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #23 of 289
Quote:

With MC18 you can set resampling 44.1 to 88.2, and leave the othes at no change (this is new in MC18, just left click in each output to change).  You can experiment to notice improvements in sound.  I found this setting searching for Audiophile settings in jRiver MC, that advanced Audiophiles have been using for a long time, they also explained the reasoning.  It is not upsampling, resampling definition is different, you should look in to it.  I think you would enjoy it.  

I always use crossfeed now....Jan Meier put me on to it when I inquired about his headphone amplifiers (Jan implements crossfeed into his higher end gear, and recommends it).  It is meant to reduce fatigue while listening to headphones/IEM's.  It really works for me, as I listen for hours each day.  It really improves soundstage, separation/imaging.  Look into the exlplanation of crossfeed.  I go into DSP settings and uncheck to Headphones box while listening to my speaker system, very easy to toggle back and forth.  You can do the same while listening to headphones to toggle crossfeed on and off to experiement with the different levels.  I use crossfeed standard increased spatialization always while listening to phones!

Thanks for the tips and most importantly explaining where they are located on MC18....I will try out the various options and report back.

Dec 26, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #24 of 289
Have used crossfed for a while with MC17 and as much as it increases the soundstage it takes away the bass/low end impact.....for my ears.
So now I don't use any DSP filters at all.

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #25 of 289
That is strange, I am finding the MC18 much better than the MC17 compatibility wise.

I am literally glitch free while on MC17 I was having similar problems as what you are describing. To solve it, I bought a new PC to get rid of all the issues noted.

From using an i5 Sony F laptop to an i7 Sony L desktop. But even with the i7 PC, I couldn't lower my USB steaming nor ASIO buffer size until I upgraded to the MC18. Now I can choose use the minimum settings on my ASIO driver with out the pops and clicks. This leads me to believe that the MC18 ihas more compatibility with Windows.

Im running a i5 2500k at 5Ghz so i don't think the "slow pc" part plays a role in this,im running multiple solid state drives so there should be no delays finding/runnin music and open/closing the program.

I solved the pop noise on J.River MC, my latency in ASIO Control Panel was at 2ms and it had tiny static pop noises due to bits not coming in on time from such low latency. Setting it to 4ms fixed the issue. Right now im testing if giving it a little more latency (10ms) would have any sonic improvements.

Do you hear a small static pop when you stop a song? I hear it everytime regardless of what latency im on.

Tim

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #26 of 289
Quote:
Have used crossfed for a while with MC17 and as much as it increases the soundstage it takes away the bass/low end impact.....for my ears.
So now I don't use any DSP filters at all.

That is too bad.....crossfeed is not a DSP filter, you need to Google crossfeed and understand what is does, I will not explain it for you too complicated, but it is basically something that makes headphones sound like speakers, so that you hear parts of what is in the left speaker in your right ear, and part of what is in your right speaker in your left ear, simple as that, headphones are closed so that what is in the left stays in the left, and what is in the right stays in the right, but that is a basic explanation.  Have you ever been in a listening room for a 2.1 or 5.1 system?  What happens with a speaker system is that you get reflections from walls, floor, deiling, furniture windows etc, and you hear differently left to right ear.  It does not change any frequency response whatsoever.  If you are losing bass/low end it must be caused from something else.  It is really designed to reduce the fatigue of listening to headphones for longer periods of time!  I love it, and I only listed to headphones with crossfeed turned on.

Hope this helps.....enjoy your music!

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #27 of 289
Crossfeed is done through Digital Signal Processing within JJRiver. I also really like it but I also found it affects bass response, which is to be expected. Jan Meier usually include a slight bass boost on his  amps to compensate for it.

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #28 of 289
Quote:
Crossfeed is done through Digital Signal Processing within JJRiver. I also really like it but I also found it affects bass response, which is to be expected. Jan Meier usually include a slight bass boost on his  amps to compensate for it.

Your headphones can affect bass response.....there is an excellent parametric equalizer within MC18, so bass boost included here as well, compensate all you want!  I just A/B MC18 and headphones with my high end 2.1/5.1 system that I have gone to extremes in room acoustics and a bass EQ called Antimode 8033, and I can match bass to both systems!  So I have the capability to utilize MC18 to suit the Audiophile in me!

Really works well for me!

Enjoy your music!

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #29 of 289
Quote:
Im running a i5 2500k at 5Ghz so i don't think the "slow pc" part plays a role in this,im running multiple solid state drives so there should be no delays finding/runnin music and open/closing the program.
I solved the pop noise on J.River MC, my latency in ASIO Control Panel was at 2ms and it had tiny static pop noises due to bits not coming in on time from such low latency. Setting it to 4ms fixed the issue. Right now im testing if giving it a little more latency (10ms) would have any sonic improvements.
Do you hear a small static pop when you stop a song? I hear it everytime regardless of what latency im on.
Tim

Hi.

No small static pops whatsoever except when I change bit rate, redbook to 24/192, then I get a few clicks.

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #30 of 289
Quote:

Your headphones can affect bass response.....there is an excellent parametric equalizer within MC18, so bass boost included here as well, compensate all you want!  I just A/B MC18 and headphones with my high end 2.1/5.1 system that I have gone to extremes in room acoustics and a bass EQ called Antimode 8033, and I can match bass to both systems!  So I have the capability to utilize MC18 to suit the Audiophile in me!

Really works well for me!

Enjoy your music!

Using EQ etc for a speaker system may be/is useful,but I listen exclusively with headphones and all sort of EQing compromises the integrity of a headphone as it changes the headphone's sound signature.I went through a lot of headphones to find the ones with the sound I like.
I think headphones like Audeze deserve that sort of "respect"!
Nevertheless,even unEQed....MC18 sounds really good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back