Playing via: Kernel Streaming
Engine: ULTRAstream
Audio PC: This computer
Bitstream: Native
Bitperfect Volume: OFF
Polarity: Normal
DAC Link: ~1 Hz
PC Buffer: 10 seconds
XtreamSize: 1000 (but is no used with UltraStream)
Throttle: ON
Hibernate mode: OFF

Clock changed to 3 in regedit.

Does the clock setting look like this?

What does the clock setting do for you? I experimented with it and didn't notice any difference.

Oddly, the Registry Editor settings are only available under "JPLAY"; under "JPLAY6" there is only:

Also, what does PC buffer changed to 10 seconds do for you? I tried that as well. Not sure if I heard anything different.

Are you saying that switching XtreamSize to 250 with UltraStream Engine selected fixed the cut off? 

Regards, 
Marcin

Yep! :)

Mar 7, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #332 of 347

What does the clock setting do for you? I experimented with it and didn't notice any difference.

No, you are in the wrong place in regedit. You will need to change the Clock in JPLAY6. Here is a snip from Jplay´s manual http://jplay.eu/manual/

And under Computer\\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JPLAY6 key.

regedit2.jpg

Clock: [0,1,2,3] default is 0 and set OS timer resolution to 0.5ms. 1 is 1ms, 2 is 10ms and 3 is 15.6ms.

Also, what does PC buffer changed to 10 seconds do for you? I tried that as well. Not sure if I heard anything different.

For me personally the SQ gets more calm/effortless with 1hz/10 sec setting. If you are using Fidelizer as well make sure to untick the OS timer....option with Clock3 settings. I personally prefer with that option ticked...but many others prefer it with OS timer...option unticked.

Mar 7, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #333 of 347
  No, you are in the wrong place in regedit. You will need to change the Clock in JPLAY6. Here is a snip from Jplay´s manual http://jplay.eu/manual/

Clock: [0,1,2,3] default is 0 and set OS timer resolution to 0.5ms. 1 is 1ms, 2 is 10ms and 3 is 15.6ms.

Oh, I was under the current user folder instead of local machine. Thanks!

So what differences do you hear with the clock setting? What about the PC buffer of 10 seconds instead of 2 seconds?

Do I need to restart for the changes to take effect or is it immediate?

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #334 of 347

Oh, I was under the current user folder instead of local machine. Thanks!

So what differences do you hear with the clock setting? What about the PC buffer of 10 seconds instead of 2 seconds?

Do I need to restart for the changes to take effect or is it immediate?

You are welcome! :)
See my previous post. I edited it with my impressions of the differences.
Yes, you will need to restart right away for the changes to take effect in regedit.

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #336 of 347

For me personally the SQ gets more calm/effortless with 1hz/10 sec setting. If you are using Fidelizer as well make sure to untick the OS timer....option with Clock3 settings. I personally prefer with that option ticked...but many others prefer it with OS timer...option unticked.

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #337 of 347
  If you are using Fidelizer as well make sure to untick the OS timer....option with Clock3 settings. I personally prefer with that option ticked...but many others prefer it with OS timer...option unticked.

In the changelog of Fidelizer 6.9 (I did install 7.0), it says:

"Added ‘OS Timer resolution for low latency audio optimizations’ for compatibility with JPLAY clock tweak"

Doesn't that mean the OS timer option should be ticked? What does unticking it do?

I did save one of your quotes from the past that said you preferred it with it unticked...but now you say you prefer it with it ticked? hehe. This is all so intricate.

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #338 of 347
  Single PC, WIN2012 and AO (4A), JPlay6, Mini, Total Commander. KS, Ultrastream/Hibernate, DAC Link@20hz, Buffer@2sec., Clock@10.0ms (other stuff at defaults)
Sounds great but If I try increase the DAC Link I get silence - possibility a limitation of the Tanly XMOS DDC drivers. (I have not tried any other XMOS drivers).

Hi motberg, 

Is Tanly using Thesycon driver? DAC Link is driver dependent. With Thesycon I can run all values stable. If DAC driver has a control panel that allows for changing buffer size - you might want to check if switching to a different buffer size changes anything

Oddly, the Registry Editor settings are only available under "JPLAY"; under "JPLAY6" there is only:

Yep! :)

Well, that doesn't make any sense as XtreamSize has no effect if UltraStream is selected as the active Engine :) Perhaps you've changed some other values too? 
BTW - changing Clock in registry requires restart of JPLAYService and currently active value can be seen after opening JPLAYSettings panel

Cheers, 
Marcin

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #339 of 347

If you are using Fidelizer as well make sure to untick the OS timer....option with Clock3 settings. I personally prefer with that option ticked...but many others prefer it with OS timer...option unticked.

In the changelog of Fidelizer 6.9 (I did install 7.0), it says:

"Added ‘OS Timer resolution for low latency audio optimizations’ for compatibility with JPLAY clock tweak"

Doesn't that mean the OS timer option should be ticked? What does unticking it do?

I did save one of your quotes from the past that said you preferred it with it unticked...but now you say you prefer it with it ticked? hehe. This is all so intricate.

"Added OS Timer resolution for low latency audio optimizations’ for compatibility with JPLAY clock tweak" means that the latency is set to 0,5ms. Untick this option and you will (hopefully) have Windows default 15,6ms latency. Please note that there is other software installed on your computer that have the power to change the latency as well. However, it is worth a try. If you like the sound with clock3 just keep it. If you do not like it you can check with Clock 1/2 or reverse back to the default Clock 0. Let your own ears decide what you like or not.

Apr 2, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #340 of 347

Not a lot of activity here so I will take the chance and ask you a (maybe stupid) question.

Why are you and almost all other manufacturer still using USB as the way to transfer the audio signal from the source player to the DAC or USB converter?  Why not skip the whole USB thing and go direct to SPDIF, AES or I2S instead (like some music server does)? Please don’t get me wrong, I have the JCAT USB card with the battery PSU and like it. I only want to know if it’s possible to make something like the JCAT board, but instead of USB out has SPDIF, AES or I2S. 

Cheers!

May 27, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #341 of 347

Not a lot of activity here so I will take the chance and ask you a (maybe stupid) question.

Why are you and almost all other manufacturer still using USB as the way to transfer the audio signal from the source player to the DAC or USB converter?  Why not skip the whole USB thing and go direct to SPDIF, AES or I2S instead (like some music server does)? Please don’t get me wrong, I have the JCAT USB card with the battery PSU and like it. I only want to know if it’s possible to make something like the JCAT board, but instead of USB out has SPDIF, AES or I2S. 

Cheers!

Missed your post, sorry
How many DACs support i2s input? :)
Almost all DACs now are equipped with USB input and all PCs/laptops are equipped with USB ports. For i2s/spdif/aes you need a special converter card. It's easier to go with USB and based on my experience USB sounds better than going out with AES/SPDIF. Haven't tried i2s as I didn't have proper hardware. 

Regards, 
Marcin

BTW - seems we have a spammer

May 27, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #342 of 347

Missed your post, sorry
How many DACs support i2s input? :)
Almost all DACs now are equipped with USB input and all PCs/laptops are equipped with USB ports. For i2s/spdif/aes you need a special converter card. It's easier to go with USB and based on my experience USB sounds better than going out with AES/SPDIF. Haven't tried i2s as I didn't have proper hardware. 

Regards, 
Marcin

BTW - seems we have a spammer

The chicken or the egg causality dilemma 
tongue.gif

No doubt USB is the standard today. The question is is it because USB is the best way of transfer data stream or just the new standard….I have got better sonic result with especially I2S but also SPDIF. It will depends on the DAC and USB converter as much as digital protocol, but all other things equal - for both movies and sound I2S HDMI has been the best in my limited experience.

I would like to have a quality board like the JCAT USB, but instead of USB out I would like an I2S or coaxial out, so no need for converting digital protocol. Is it possible to do technically?  

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #344 of 347
I'm using the trial version for evaluation. I did not have any issue in version 5.2.1 but with the latest version I just can't find the settings to work. I like what I heard in v 5.2.1 so I wanted to try the new version to check out the improvements because I want to buy the full license. 

I'm having a problem. Tried WASAPi and KS but the problem remains.

This is what happens every time
open jplay mini, try to play a song and get about half a second of playback then nothing and then the same half a second keeps playing over and over intermittently. pause. change setting. play again. again get half a second of playback then this time I can't pause or skip tracks and even after exiting jpay mini I can't access the jplay settings. I just get the JPlay can't connect to 127.0.0.1 error notification. To access the settings again I have to restart the PC.

DAC link 5Hz 
PC buffer  10 seconds
XtreamSize 500
Throttle ON
Hibernate OFF
Engine Xtream
Bitstream Native
Bitperfect Volume off
Polarity Normal

Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
AMD FX 8 core CPU
16 GB RAM
Single PC

Burr Brown PCM 1793 DAC.

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #345 of 347
  Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
AMD FX 8 core CPU
16 GB RAM
Single PC

Burr Brown PCM 1793 DAC.

I switched to classic and with that I didn't get any playback at all. I can't use ultrastream since I'm on Win 7 ultimate 64bit.  I can't get my AQ Dragonfly to work at all with any combination of settings, which is a bummer since I use it with my laptop on the go and jplay can be used on more than 2 devices with 1 license If I'm not mistaken. I will be getting a Mojo and DF red by March maybe I'll have better luck with those. 

I finally got my desktop burr brown 1793 DAC to work with Xtream and Classic. WASAPI + 40Hz or 85hz or 170Hz DAC link and a 10 second buffer. 20Hz and below don't work. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back