JPlay 6
Nov 25, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #316 of 347
  Good to hear :) 
DAC Link 170Hz and lowest Buffer I presume?

Regarding lossy files it's against our policy: our aim is only for highest playback quality :)

Cheers, 
Marcin

My buffer is currently at 1 second. It wouldn't play music with some other settings. I'll experiment more and see what happens.

Well, some files are not available in lossless, so not supporting lossy can be frustrating for some people.

Update: Switched the buffer to 0.01 seconds. Too lazy to compare directly, but now it seems to sound more energetic and vivid.

Nov 27, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #317 of 347
Oh man...upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (same hardware, playback software, and settings) has resulted in one of the most dramatic improvements in sound quality I've experienced on any of my systems, aside from upgrading headphones themselves. And bear in mind, this is coming from someone who did not hear a difference between a Schiit Modi 2 DAC and the headphone outputs of his Alienware! I also made sure that no audio enhancements were activated in Windows.

I'm assuming a good percentage of JPLAY users already have Windows 10, but for those who don't and would like to try it, you can get a free upgrade if your device qualifies.

Unfortunately, I still can't use KS with JPLAY; I have to use WASAPI. (I could use KS when I used an external DAC.)

Nov 28, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #318 of 347
@Marcin_gps

I need some help with setting up JPLAYStreamer. I am following the instructions in the manual.

MinimServer won't let me input the commands in the stream.transcode and stream.converter fields. This is especially concerning since the manual says "It is absolutely necessary to set transcoding unless all files in your library are WAV".

What should I do now?

What about AIFF files?

MinimServer did not ask for the location of my music library. Do I input it in the contentDir field?

In Linn Kazoo, when I click settings and try to select the Media Server menu, it says "(not available)".

Can JPLAYStreamer really be used on a single PC setup?

P.S. Sorry for the multiple posts...but this thread isn't very active.

Nov 28, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #319 of 347
@Marcin_gps

I need some help with setting up JPLAYStreamer. I am following the instructions in the manual.

MinimServer won't let me input the commands in the stream.transcode and stream.converter fields. This is especially concerning since the manual says "It is absolutely necessary to set transcoding unless all files in your library are WAV".

What should I do now?

What about AIFF files?

MinimServer did not ask for the location of my music library. Do I input it in the contentDir field?

In Linn Kazoo, when I click settings and try to select the Media Server menu, it says "(not available)".

Have you read this part of the Jplay manual? http://www.jplay.eu/manual/

For ALAC, MP3 & AAC formats you need ffmpeg tool! You can download it from here: link to 32bit build, link to 64bit build. Extract anywhere and copy ffmpeg.exe to MinimServer folder. Put the path to ffmpeg.exe in the stream.converter field (default MinimServer path is C:\Program Files\MinimServer\) and add alac:wav, mp3:wav24, aac:wav24 in the stream.transcode field as shown below.
This step can be skipped if you don’t have ALAC, MP3 & AAC files in your library.

JplayStreamer works with single PC setup. I use it this way (JplayStreamer for Tidal). But you will need a tablet as a control device with Kazoo/BubbleDS Next.

Good luck! You will not be dissapointed when you get it working! :)

Nov 28, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #320 of 347

For ALAC, MP3 & AAC formats you need ffmpeg tool! You can download it from here: link to 32bit build, link to 64bit build. Extract anywhere and copy ffmpeg.exe to MinimServer folder. Put the path to ffmpeg.exe in the stream.converter field (default MinimServer path is C:\Program Files\MinimServer\) and add alac:wav, mp3:wav24, aac:wav24 in the stream.transcode field as shown below.
This step can be skipped if you don’t have ALAC, MP3 & AAC files in your library.

JplayStreamer works with single PC setup. I use it this way (JplayStreamer for Tidal). But you will need a tablet as a control device with Kazoo/BubbleDS Next.

Good luck! You will not be dissapointed when you get it working! :)

Yes, I read the manual and followed all the instructions. MinimServer won't let me input any of the settings! See my screenshot for an example.

You can't use Kazoo on the same laptop computer? I don't have a tablet right now. And I'm only using files on my external hard drive array, not streaming.

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #321 of 347

For ALAC, MP3

Yes, I read the manual and followed all the instructions. MinimServer won't let me input any of the settings! See my screenshot for an example.

You can't use Kazoo on the same laptop computer? I don't have a tablet right now. And I'm only using files on my external hard drive array, not streaming.

As far as I know you will have to use a PC/iOS device (Kazoo)/Android device (BubbleDS Next) to control for Jplay/Minim located on your computer. Could be possible to use the control device on the same computer...but would requires good computer knowledge. I have read about someone using it on some threads before. Check this thread/Fidelizer thread/Tidal lossless Streaming thread and you might find it. I do not know how though. I use JplayStreamer for Tidal only.

I could'nt see the default Minimserver path on your screen shot. That is why I recond that was the reason.

/Micael

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #322 of 347
As far as I know you will have to use a PC/iOS device (Kazoo)/Android device (BubbleDS Next) to control for Jplay/Minim located on your computer. Could be possible to use the control device on the same computer...but would requires good computer knowledge. I have read about someone using it on some threads before. Check this thread/Fidelizer thread/Tidal lossless Streaming thread and you might find it. I do not know how though. I use JplayStreamer for Tidal only.

I could'nt see the default Minimserver path on your screen shot. That is why I recond that was the reason.

/Micael

Hmm. So it would be some trouble trying to get it to work when I'm only using this laptop. Oh well.

I also input the path and so on. Followed all the instructions. But only took one screenshot. The same red error text showed up each time.

So I'm really loving the sound quality improvements of Windows 10. Started a thread about it, if you want to share impressions there:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/789224/windows-10-has-far-better-sound-quality-than-windows-7

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #323 of 347

/Micael

Hmm. So it would be some trouble trying to get it to work when I'm only using this laptop. Oh well.

I also input the path and so on. Followed all the instructions. But only took one screenshot. The same red error text showed up each time.

So I'm really loving the sound quality improvements of Windows 10. Started a thread about it, if you want to share impressions there:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/789224/windows-10-has-far-better-sound-quality-than-windows-7

Remember that you can use any iOS/Android mobile phone as a control device as well. IF you have a smart phone...use it!

Windows 10 is for sure a step up in performance. Still too early for me to fully evaluate everything though....but so far so good! :)

Dec 1, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #324 of 347
  @Marcin_gps

What should I do now?

What about AIFF files?

Hmm, that's weird. The string looks OK. Have you tried restarting MinimServer? 

Dec 4, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #325 of 347
Looks like Tidal is launching hi-res audio streaming in 2016 http://www.whathifi.com/news/tidal-to-launch-hi-res-audio-streaming-in-2016
I keep my fingers crossed that JplayStreamer will work with it when it launches! 
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #326 of 347
Here is a tip! If anybody is using a Uptone Audio USB Regen be sure to check out Elijah Audio Kovertible Lite 160 Regen Link (155mm lenght). I have recently got one for audition and are amazed of the improvement it brings to the table. Better and punchier bass performance, better 3D, more air, smoother, natural sounding, more precense, better instrument placement...well better of everything. The improved sq gives me shivers and makes my toes tapping big time. Not even a comparison to the solid adapter! :)
My problem is that I now have to sell of my beloved Vertere Acoustics Pulse D-Fi v2 USB cable and buy myself a Kovertible Lite 500 as well. Love/hate when that happens! :-\

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #327 of 347
So I'm using JPLAYmini 6.2 with a new amp/DAC.

Current settings:
Playing via: Kernel Streaming
Engine: ULTRAstream
Audio PC: This computer
Bitstream: Native
Bitperfect Volume: OFF
Polarity: Normal
DAC Link: ~1 Hz
PC Buffer: 2 seconds
XtreamSize: 1000
Throttle: ON
Hibernate mode: OFF

I experimented with the DAC Link and PC Buffer settings, but I can't seem to solve this little issue: the first split-second of the track is often cut off.
confused_face_2.gif

edit: I changed the XtreamSize to 250 and this seems to have fixed things.

Also, if anyone would care to share their favorite settings for use with JPLAYmini, it would be appreciated.

Mar 7, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #328 of 347
Here is my settings:

PC Buffer: 10 seconds
XtreamSize: 1000 (but is no used with UltraStream)

Clock changed to 3 in regedit.

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #329 of 347
Single PC, WIN2012 and AO (4A), JPlay6, Mini, Total Commander. KS, Ultrastream/Hibernate, DAC Link@20hz, Buffer@2sec., Clock@10.0ms (other stuff at defaults)
Sounds great but If I try increase the DAC Link I get silence - possibility a limitation of the Tanly XMOS DDC drivers. (I have not tried any other XMOS drivers).

Mar 7, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #330 of 347
  So I'm using JPLAYmini 6.2 with a new amp/DAC.

Current settings:
PC Buffer: 2 seconds
XtreamSize: 1000

I experimented with the DAC Link and PC Buffer settings, but I can't seem to solve this little issue: the first split-second of the track is often cut off.
confused_face_2.gif

edit: I changed the XtreamSize to 250 and this seems to have fixed things.

Also, if anyone would care to share their favorite settings for use with JPLAYmini, it would be appreciated.

Are you saying that switching XtreamSize to 250 with UltraStream Engine selected fixed the cut off? 

Regards, 
Marcin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back