Joshua Bell plays Strad on Street Corner. AAAaaannnddd.....
Apr 9, 2007 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

Jahn

Headphoneus Supremus Prolificus
And one of my fave bands got namechecked - The Cure! Poor "Just Like Heaven" with a double noogie to the iPod as well. C'mon, the guy was trying to enjoy music, don't diss on him for missing some buskin' action!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...040401721.html

Well ok, bust on him a little.
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 76
yaeh. read this one yesterday. rather long article, but very interesting. We can't totally damn those commuters for not noticing Joshua Bell. I think we have to wonder: were we in the same situation would we have stopped? I don't exactly hang around street performers even when I think they're good. I certainly don't know enough about the violin to differentiate a 'hey that guy is pretty good' player from a virtuoso. Makes me think I oughta learn. coincidentally, I plan to check out Bach's Partita No.2 from the library today.

They really incorporated Just Like Heaven into that article pretty well IMO :p Effin' love that song!

Apr 9, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 76
Yeah! I feel disassociated just thinkin' about listening to that song on my Shuffle on the way home!
smily_headphones1.gif

And yep I'll give an extra listen to those pan pipe guys from south america on the way home today. Long live the 4/5 Subway!

Apr 9, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 76
Sad but not surprising, noting the general insensitivity and lack of musical education (and hearing education) of the public-at large.

If I'd heard that my jaw would have dropped and I would have been riveted to the spot with tears in my eyes!

Wouldn't have notice Bell right off, but the skill and the sound of the Strad would have sent hooks into my heart and yanked me around.

Also, the Chaconne was my favorite practice piece in my youth (mediocre skill, of course). I love the piece so much the first note or 2 would have gotten me — probably the first chord would have snapped me to attention. At the very least, I would immediately begun critiquing his rendition (old habit).

Not at all surprised at the results, though.

For quite a few years now audiences have given standing ovations to so many performances — mainly to feel justified/vindicated in having spent the huge price they paid for their seats. Broadway audiences almost always give standing ovations, even for the worst crap (in my opinion). Classical music and opera audiences are definitely somewhat more critical.

I did hear a Joshua Bell recital that saw a standing ovation, and it was a terrible performance on all levels (sorry Josh) — maybe 'cause it was a "Free For All at The Town Hall" concert(?), or maybe he just had an off day. I'd like to think the Carnegie Hall crowd might be more discerning(?). I gave him polite applause for participating (showing up). Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg (on another date) gave a really inspired performance which did deserve a standing ovation — at the same free concert series.

Sigh. (I sigh a lot, lately.)

Apr 9, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 76
Read it yesterday, and I'm following (many excellent points in) the related WashPost online chat right now. I got out three stops further down the orange/blue line that morning.

Stop and think for a second, though. How many of us would've kept following happily along to whatever is pouring out of our equipment while riding up that escalator? I barely manage to catch a fun barbershop quartet that often sings in the station where I transfer trains to head home - I've got a performance degree, even, and I can't say with certainty I wouldn't've kept right on going. It is hella sobering.
frown.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #7 of 76
I don't think that I had heard of Joshua Bell prior to this thread and article, but if I had heard someone playing violin like this I would have crapped my pants. I love hearing street performers, especially when they are good and I would have definitely wanted to stop and talk with him.

Apr 9, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #8 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by random-adam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
…- I've got a performance degree, even, and I can't say with certainty I wouldn't've kept right on going. It is hella sobering.
frown.gif

What kind of performance degree? Violin? … I don't think you would have kept right on going. Read my previous post. How can your ears not rivet you where you stand on hearing playing of that level?

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a great article. A little over-dramatic, but very interesting none-the-less.

What's your perspective/background that you're so blase? Not music/violin/classical/Stradivarius/master violinist - oriented?

I guess I know quite a few who'd walk on by (sorry Dionne) — and who have no (or just a smattering of) education of — or derive no real enjoyment from classical music — and I really can understand their lack of excitement from that perspective.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundGoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think that I had heard of Joshua Bell prior to this thread and article, but if I had heard someone playing violin like this I would have crapped my pants. I love hearing street performers, especially when they are good and I would have definitely wanted to stop and talk with him.

That's what I'm talkin' about. I never thought of "crapped my pants" — but that about says it for me.

Apr 9, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 76
L'Enfant Plaza is a very busy Metro stop. There's nothing but office buildings around it, mostly government. One thing I disagree with in the article is the statement that people in Europe would stop and listen. I'm not sure that's true if its a similar subway stop. If it's a stop with nearly 100% office workers hurrying to get to work, I doubt if there are many big cities where people would stop. If it was a more touristy stop, like Smithsonian, one stop earlier, he may have gathered a crowd. I also think it's interesting that every kid wanted to stop an listen, but their parents hurried them along.

Here in DC we have quite a few good buskers. There's one guy who plays a one string, bowed Chinese instrument. I've stopped and listened to a few. I hope I would stop for Josha Bell.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good version of the partitas. I don't have a copy. For the last 6 months or so, I've been thinking about buying the Grumiaux, but would welcome other suggestions. This article has definitely bumped them higher up on my to buy list.

Apr 9, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
L'Enfant Plaza is a very busy Metro stop. There's nothing but office buildings around it, mostly government. One thing I disagree with in the article is the statement that people in Europe would stop and listen. I'm not sure that's true if its a similar subway stop. If it's a stop with nearly 100% office workers hurrying to get to work, I doubt if there are many big cities where people would stop. If it was a more touristy stop, like Smithsonian, one stop earlier, he may have gathered a crowd. I also think it's interesting that every kid wanted to stop an listen, but their parents hurried them along.

I think that's the main reason why this experiment of the Washington Post didn't get much notice. Joshua Bell was out of context. Sure, there were probably plenty who wouldn't appreciate a violinist's performance. But then there are others who are late for work and would just breeze right by him. I'm one of those who will stop and admire a street performer for a few bars if they're well skilled....but I also usually feel rushed to get to the subway.

If they put Joshua Bell somewhere on the mall in DC...well then he'd have people gather around, take photos, and at least pause enough to listen. The same is true for Boston: if you're ever at Faneuil Hall, there are lots of street performers who get big crowds. I have yet to see any crowds for street performers in subway stations.

Apr 9, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 76
another nod for context. if you're the Naked Cowboy on Times Square, you'll get more of a crowd than the supremely talented pidi player at the Canal St. Chinatown subway stop, even tho the pidi player is far more talented. It's about the "packaging" so to speak.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #12 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of performance degree? Violin?

I got my undergrand in French horn performance, and spent a couple years of that doing near-exclusively orchestral stuff.
Quote:

… I don't think you would have kept right on going. Read my previous post. How can your ears not rivet you where you stand on hearing playing of that level?

My concern is that I would've kept on listening to the IEMs I keep in my ears nearly 100% of the time I'm between my apartment and job. I have absolutely no doubt that I would've noticed the guy playing; unless I noticed at a particularly VISUALLY expressive moment, though, I likely wouldn't've had any motivation to pop out the Shures, un-isolate myself, and actually listen. It's really sobering.

If anybody has half an hour to burn, click the link I posted earlier for the online chat with the author of the article. Lots of good points come up. Among them:
Quote:

A precedent: on the blog @ volinist.com, someone noted:

in Belgium they did a similar experiment. Our own Yossif Ivanov, who had just won 2nd prize in Queen Elisabeth Comp. was asked to play alongside the beach, in summer. People were NOT rushing to work, and were NO Americans. Result: He got just enough money to buy an icecream!

Apr 9, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #13 of 76
I agree with the point of the article, musical ignorance is at an all-time low! (And will probably sink lower.) There are so few people these days who appreciate classical music or even 20th century music that sounds like it's classical (neo-classical).

That said, I'm not familiar with Joshua Bell but I can definitely notice when a virtuoso is around (even off a recording), and if I had been there, I would've stopped to listen for sure, even if it would've made me late for work. Truly talented musicians are rare in this world and they need more appreciation rather than the talentless hacks posing as "musicians" running around in pop-culture today.

Apr 9, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #15 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good read but your title totally ruins the suspense of most of the article!

woopsie. i'll change it! the wonders of our new Head-fi Technology!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back