Joshua Bell plays Strad on Street Corner. AAAaaannnddd.....
Apr 9, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #31 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure you wouldn't have stopped just to gaze at Hilary Hahn
icon10.gif

I'd probably do even more then that....maybe even wait til she was through, talked with her...and then try my luck at asking her out
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #32 of 76
I have multiple recordings of Stard violins (and cello), but damned if I could tell it from a "regular" violin blindfolded.

Apr 9, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #33 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have multiple recordings of Stard violins (and cello), but damned if I could tell it from a "regular" violin blindfolded.

I'm sure Joshua Bell could have been playing on a cheaper violin at the in the noisy environment and even someone who can tell the difference wouldn't have been able to.

Apr 9, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #34 of 76
Anyway I do listen to street musicians whenever I can, but in the aformention scenario I wouldn't have recognized Bell and couldn't have named anything he played (my "classical" is pretty much symphony related). I probably would have tossed a buck or so at most.... too many violiners playing for change in NYC. (2nd only to the acoustic guitar)

To be honest my favorite "street instrument" is the steel drum. I always throw them more money.

Apr 9, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #35 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your perspective/background that you're so blase? Not music/violin/classical/Stradivarius/master violinist - oriented?

My background in classical music is playing the french horn for about 12 years in more orchestras than I care to mention. I've played under some great conductors and I have had the pleasure of accompanying some serious musicians also. Chris Garrick is the most serious violinist that I can remember playing with with myself in the orchestra, but I have attended other orchestral concerts and heard some of the worlds great orchestras. I do have at least a vague idea of what serious playing is and what it sounds like. I myself generally stop at buskers who are any good, and I think I would have stopped for this.

The issue I was taking was with the degree of shock the author was displaying over the event, constantly re-stating it. It just seemed over-written. I mean, the article was generally pretty good, and maybe I am being cynical, but it seemed too surprised that people didn't stop. I know it's careless to refer to the "general public", but using that term as a cover-all it's fair to say that a good majority of the "general public" aren't that interested in classical music. If you aren't interested in classical music, then no matter how good the guy on the fiddle is, you're not going to be grabbed. As an example, I am not particularly interested in hip-hop, I don't hate it, but it's not for me. If you had one of the world's greatest turntablists [sp.?] spinning records in an obscenely clever way and busking with it, he could be as talented as Joshua Bell or even more, doing incredible things with his decks, and I probably wouldn't stop. Just not my cup of tea.

Would it be as shocking then? Probably not. Would it be as shocking if, say, Arturo Sandoval took his trumpet down to the subway and did exactly the same thing (presumably with the same results) or would it be any more surprising if Courtney Pine did it with his Sax? It's strange how a greater value is attributed to the classical music, purely because that art form is seen somehow as "higher". There's a fantastic book "what good are the arts?" by John Carey, that covers this idea of the value of art, and the points in it ring very true in this instance.

Reading this back, it seems almost confrontational, and I don't mean it to be, as your initial question clearly wasn't.

Apr 9, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #36 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The issue I was taking was with the degree of shock the author was displaying over the event, constantly re-stating it. It just seemed over-written. I mean, the article was generally pretty good, and maybe I am being cynical, but it seemed too surprised that people didn't stop.

Just to let you know, the author is a humor writer in the Dave Barry vein. If you read the online chat, you'll notice a couple of his readers asked how many poop jokes his editor had to remove from the article. This is the first time I've ever seen him write a serious article.

Apr 9, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #37 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too would like to imagine I'd've stopped. You never know. In New York, I've seen one of the guys playing the ... what's it called... dangit. let's assume the name will continue to escape us. Anyways, though intrigued, I didn't stop. Pique my interests or not, I either have places to be, or I don't want to hang around in a subway to listen to music. At least not right where the trains are (this guy was on the platform).

dangit. Can't quite find a copy of it here at the school. Gonna take a couple of chances. There are some partita No.2s by Bach here, but they're for organ or piano. wuh? Found something on vinyl, but I won't be able to take it home till my new stylus comes in the mail.

Maybe if you search for Bach's Sonatas and Partitas for Unaccompanied Violin … there are MANY great artists who've recorded them.

Just to name a few: Itzhak Perlman, Henryk Szeryng, Aaron Rosand, Hilary Hahn, Arthur Grumiaux, Oscar Schumsky, Gidon Kremer, Pincus Zukerman, Nathan Milstein, Jascha Heifetz, Shlomo Mintz,, Georges Enescu, Joseph Szigeti, Dmitry Sitkovvetsky, Lara St. John, Julia Fisher, Garrett Fischbach(?), Rachel Podger (period instrument), Ruggiero Ricci, Michael Rabin(?), … and many more.

Search in the Music Forum and you'll many recommendations and personal preferences.

Apr 9, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #38 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My background in classical music is playing the french horn for about 12 years in more orchestras than I care to mention. I've played under some great conductors and I have had the pleasure of accompanying some serious musicians also. Chris Garrick is the most serious violinist that I can remember playing with with myself in the orchestra, but I have attended other orchestral concerts and heard some of the worlds great orchestras. I do have at least a vague idea of what serious playing is and what it sounds like. I myself generally stop at buskers who are any good, and I think I would have stopped for this.

The issue I was taking was with the degree of shock the author was displaying over the event, constantly re-stating it. It just seemed over-written. I mean, the article was generally pretty good, and maybe I am being cynical, but it seemed too surprised that people didn't stop. I know it's careless to refer to the "general public", but using that term as a cover-all it's fair to say that a good majority of the "general public" aren't that interested in classical music. If you aren't interested in classical music, then no matter how good the guy on the fiddle is, you're not going to be grabbed. As an example, I am not particularly interested in hip-hop, I don't hate it, but it's not for me. If you had one of the world's greatest turntablists [sp.?] spinning records in an obscenely clever way and busking with it, he could be as talented as Joshua Bell or even more, doing incredible things with his decks, and I probably wouldn't stop. Just not my cup of tea.

Would it be as shocking then? Probably not. Would it be as shocking if, say, Arturo Sandoval took his trumpet down to the subway and did exactly the same thing (presumably with the same results) or would it be any more surprising if Courtney Pine did it with his Sax? It's strange how a greater value is attributed to the classical music, purely because that art form is seen somehow as "higher". There's a fantastic book "what good are the arts?" by John Carey, that covers this idea of the value of art, and the points in it ring very true in this instance.

Reading this back, it seems almost confrontational, and I don't mean it to be, as your initial question clearly wasn't.

Thanks for the reply. I understand perfectly.

Apr 9, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #39 of 76
Quote:

This is definitely what the guy in DC plays. It's pretty amazing what he can do with one string. I don't think it's music that a lot of people appreciate though.

I've heard a few musicians play it so well it sends chills up your spine — an incredibly silken, heart-tugging, ethereal sound.

There's one guy who plays regularly in the 42nd Street, 8th Avenue subway station, downtown side, who just can't cut it — gives me a headache — but I empathize with him. I just can't listen to his playing anymore.

Apr 9, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #40 of 76
Quote:

I... Every few minutes, it seemed, a train would come through the station and drowned out the music. Seem to me that its a horrible place to play.

I KNOW!!! ::waves arms excitedly! jumps up and down for effect:: I couldn't imagine being down there for any longer than it took to get on the first subway that came my way, but that's exactly what the old guy was doing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Maybe if you search for Bach's Sonatas and Partitas for Unaccompanied Violin … there are MANY great artists who've recorded them.

Just to name a few: Itzhak Perlman, Henryk Szeryng, Aaron Rosand, Hilary Hahn, Arthur Grumiaux, Oscar Schumsky, Gidon Kremer, Pincus Zukerman, Nathan Milstein, Jascha Heifetz, Shlomo Mintz,, Georges Enescu, Joseph Szigeti, Dmitry Sitkovvetsky, Lara St. John, Julia Fisher, Garrett Fischbach(?), Rachel Podger (period instrument), Ruggiero Ricci, Michael Rabin(?), … and many more.

Search in the Music Forum and you'll many recommendations and personal preferences.

I tried as much as bach partita no. 2 violin and so on. Got a 'your search would go here' between two other things. Trust me, I was surprised that it would be hard to come by in our library. UNT is a music school, too, afterall... They had plenty of sheet music, though. Will give it another try. It looks like they at least have it on vinyl at my library. I imagine if it grabs me I'll buy a copy, and that should be easier to find. Well, hopefully. My favorite piece is the sextet Souvenir de Florence by Tchaikovsky. Don't think I've ever seen it in a store, though it just occurred to me I should order it online. Thanks for the recommendations, by the way. When it comes to classical music, I know nothing of artists. Just composers, really...

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #41 of 76
Quote:

This is definitely what the guy in DC plays. It's pretty amazing what he can do with one string. I don't think it's music that a lot of people appreciate though.

2 strings.

Apr 10, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #42 of 76
I can just imagine the following exchange in the office of Washington Post:

[size=small]Editor: It's about time. Show me the story.

Reporter: Which story?

E: The Fed Ed budget story. That interview you did this morning.

R: Er... sorry it is not quite ready yet... in fact, there was no interview.

E: Huh?

R: Let me explain. This morning when I got to L'Enfant Plaza, I heard this absolutely spellbinding violin music. It was so beautiful my heart was just bursting with joy! I look for it source, and you won't believe it! It was JOSHUA BELL playing in the corner, T-shirt and jeans; but there was no mistaking him, cos his instrument was a 1713 STRAD!!! He started with the most divine and godly music created by mortal men: Bach's CHACONNE for solo violin!!! I was completely transfixed on the spot, wondering it was just some strange hangover. But no, it was real, I tell you. I was so moved: I follow each line of melody, each counterpoint. It felt as if the world did not exist any more, all that remained was myself, Bell, and this heavenly music -- after Bach it was Kreisler... I did not know how long I stood there; I lost all sense of time. When the music ended, I realised I was at least half an hour late. So, I missed the interview. I'm very, very sorry.

E (Tearful-eyed, but softly smiling): It's all right son. (patting the reporter on the back) A journalist's instinct, after all, is telling what is important from what is not -- art is the ONLY thing that matters; beauty ALWAYS transcends utilitarianism. Music is what raises human beings above beasts, and the ability to recognize beauty is the sign of the knowing man. In the end, it is divine music like Bach's that redeems us, not Federal Budgets and all such nonsense. Good job son, tomorrow you'll be the Chief Editor of the Arts and Music Section. (To everybody present: ) this young fella, who through his innocent eyes sees the very essence of humanity, is the role model for all of you!

(applause and cheers from everyone present)[/size]

Apr 10, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #43 of 76
Like most fiddle music, that scratchin' would have kept me walking.

And it was too damn loud.

Apr 10, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #44 of 76
It's a sobering story.

Every head-fi member should consider carefully whether he/she actually ENJOYS the music they listen to. Pursuit of beauty, or at least the idea of it, is what gets all of us into this hobby. Don't get so caught up in dissecting the details of your music and nitpicking headphone faults that you become more like the person passing by Joshua Bell who noticed the musician but only thought of logistical issues (whether the case should start with money or start empty for a street musician to do the best financially) instead of actually HEARING the music.

It's a valid analogue, I think. Remember that Joshua Bell was playing in a subway station... not great acoustics, and not a respectable venue, and in an undignified context. Yet I think just from those videos you can tell that, being there, it would have been beautiful. SO... don't get so hung up on the "venue" and the "context" that you listen to your own music in—i.e. the particular nuances of your headphones/amp/source/cables—that you disregard the beauty in the music itself.

Obviously though there's a great benefit to giving yourself a good "venue"... but no venue ever made music. Unless you count John Cage's 4'33".

An eargasm is a fleeting thing (much like the word it puns on), and musical beauty is not about equipment. Quick, everybody, go listen to something beautiful!

Apr 10, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #45 of 76
Along those lines … sort of … is an illustration I sometimes use. Pablo Casals' recording of the Bach Cello Suites — even the more engineer-tweaked versions — still sound scratchy and far from "audiophile-quality". Nonetheless, the genius and depth of his musicianship, and his great understanding of and passion for the music are so engrossing that almost immediately the sound quality disappears and there's only his cello, the music and his beautiful soul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back