Joseph Grado Signature Product "HP2i" upgraded HP 1000 headphone; information journal and comparative review (on hiatus :/)
Aug 15, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #106 of 279
Quote:
The HP 1000 was initially only the HP 1 model that sold for USD 595 in 1989, it was part of the Joseph Grado signature series of cartridges which were considered the finest and very best designed and made by Grado Laboratories; they were also the most expensive. (The signature series itself became a separate branch of Grado Labs called Joseph Grado Signature Products right when the HP 1000 came out; the HP 2 and HP 3, HPA-1 and Ultra-Wide Bandwidth interconnects, and then HPA-2 were the only other three products made and sold by Joe under that new branch, if I remember correctly)

There was also a 10 foot Ultra- wide Bandwith extension cable that cost $110 at the time I still have mine that was sold by Joe I also have a adapter cable for speaker amps that Grado labs made a few of for the Hp1000s  from the Diagram that came with the HP1000s.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #107 of 279
Quote:
Peanuts!!!, you and i certainly don't have the same definition of what $1600 represents, because to me, it's a substantial sum of money, even for a new pair of headphones, so spending that much to modify an exisisting pair of headphones, is just too expensive.

That being said, even if the mod was cheaper, i still wouldn't go through with it, simply because i bought my HP2 because i like the way they sound stock, so i'd be too scared that i wouldn't like the way they'd sound after the mod.

is now $2000.... 
frown.gif

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #114 of 279
I think that it's because you're also asking him for a drivers replacement along with your upgrade

(USD)
1,250; upgrade base price (if the headphone is in decent condition and requires no physical repair or retouch?)
60; upgraded pads
600; drivers replacement
= 1,910

(Example:) say you were a Canadian...
200~300 shipping (I've was asked 200, tamahome77); Canadian fully insured shipping back of your headphone with customs paid in advance (an arrangement Joe did with USPS in my case); let's average it to 250

2,160 total (or 1,560 without the drivers replacement)

He's probably asking for a round price (you get your drivers replaced, the main upgrade and the upgraded pads); once he receives your headphone, he will calculate how much is the cost for shipping it back to your country and then re-contact you to ask you for the rest of the balance (like he did for me and tamahome77)

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #116 of 279
Devouringone, I saw your unpackaging video of your hp1000 on youtube  and it was shipped via the usps priority international medium box.  On the sheet, Joe marked returned to sender, so that is why you weren't charged taxes. There's no custom fees or brokerage fees because it was shipped from USA to Canada via USPS.   Full insurance should cost less than $10.  Priority international to Canada for medium box is only $40.  I even called the usps post office where his po box is located to inquire about the cost of shipment.  I also calculated the cost at www.usps.com.  It's no where near $200. 
regular_smile .gif

I was told by Joe that the upgrade would cost $1250.  He told me that he will check the drivers out and see how the condition is.  If it's good, he'll leave the drivers in there and if it needs replacement, he will replace it.  He did not state there was a basic upgrade or full upgrade when I initially inquired about the upgrade.  He didn't even mention that it will cost extra to replace the drivers.

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #117 of 279
Okay. But he still told me on the phone that he would take arrangements for me not to have to pay customs or brokerage fees :p.

I'm saying “basic” because you seemed to be implying there could be another step to the upgrade (leading to a full upgrade) that he could do; I'll return read your post... Maybe that service more Joe was talking about on the phone is just a drivers replacement... but he'll need to call you back if he wants money for that too. Maybe it's free for those who also purchase the upgrade; but we would loose the explanation why he asked $2000 of maconhel.

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #119 of 279
He's been running low (very low?) on drivers stock for years, it's possible that he only offers the option of replacing the drivers to those who also take the upgrade.

Peanuts!!!, you and i certainly don't have the same definition of what $1600 represents, because to me, it's a substantial sum of money, even for a new pair of headphones, so spending that much to modify an exisisting pair of headphones, is just too expensive.

When it comes down to household, food, clothing, transport, restaurants, theaters, bars, travelling or any form of entertainment because everywhere you go it costs money nowadays, $ 1,600 isn't peanuts... because it's the most important money I can save.

But headphones, for me, are essential when I'm at my computer since I don't want to bother the people around me with my energetic and often “aggressive” music (I have speakers but I never use them). And I spend my life at the computer; really, I do everything that I do on it... and I also listen to music all the time (while reading web pages, ebooks, mangas), lots of instructive videos and documentaries, some movies and anime, again all from the computer. So, for me, yes, 1,600 $ –(or 5,200$ for the SR-009 or 8,000$ for the Muramasa VIII and etc; but the HP 1000 remains the personal better choice) when it comes to the 'interface' that I need to perceive sound coming from my computer and that I'm going to use daily for the rest of my life– is peanuts.

The objects that I interact the most frequently with are my top priorities.

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #120 of 279
It's now $3000
frown.gif

I'm just kidding, but seriously, it almost looks like Joe's making the prices up as he goes along, regardless, i don't regret for one second having used that money to buy my PS1000, wich i prefer to my HP1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back