Jonny Greenwood Disses Audiophiles
Sep 4, 2009 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18
Dithering: Jonny Greenwood: Sasha Frere-Jones : The New Yorker

we are the sneering few. Considering how such a large pecentage of Radiohead's listeners are very into lossless music, (based on absolutely no information- thats just the impression I get,) this may come as strange from the artists themselves. Its like Da Vinci saying it doesn't matter what eyesight you have when you view the Mona Lisa in getting a proper appreciation of its work. I hope this doesn't signal a trend towards low bitrate digital only releases, although it seems like thats whats already happening. They have two more releases slated for the 21st. (Although they are available on vinyl.)
[Found this on giz]

Sep 4, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 18
"JG: We had a few complaints that the MP3s of our last record wasn’t encoded at a high enough rate. Some even suggested we should have used FLACs, but if you even know what one of those is, and have strong opinions on them, you’re already lost to the world of high fidelity and have probably spent far too much money on your speaker-stands. "

LMAO.

Sep 4, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 18
This article is super depressing.
frown.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 18
I always knew Jonny was color blind, but I never knew he was deaf also.

Sep 4, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 18
I think you need to read the article again. He is talking about convenience, and admits that the sound quality is not as good. He also states that he prefers CDs and Vinyl at home. I don't feel he is putting down sound quality as much as he is putting attitude on trial.

I think it all boils down to who you are addressing. Higher end fidelity is an aquired taste. While a lot of people have aquired the taste, I suspect we are definately in the minority.

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #7 of 18
If you read the whole article it's quite enlightening. His point is that technology has gotten in the way of music which is the most important. He's saying it occurs at both ends (folks like here who obsess over oxygen free copper cables) and (folks who think they have something because they have a ripped version of every miles davis track ever recorded they are all set).

I also think he's right that a lot of music doesn't need the ultimate audio quality to rock. Listening to "life during wartime" or "london calling" blasting from my cassette car stereo was great and memorable for reasons having nothing to do with how hi-fi it was

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laokid18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always knew Jonny was color blind, but I never knew he was deaf also.

biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #9 of 18
I agree with his points about how important, groundbreaking recordings have become relegated to background music in some ways, and how listening to music has become less of an experience for many... But that doesn't change his comments about audiophilia. It's true that we can go overboard, but a preference for flac music is one of the most sensible ideas we have, not to mention no longer an inconvenience due to increased storage size of daps and computers.

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #10 of 18
He doesn't diss audiophiles. He counts himself among them. He says that he prefers vinyl and cd, but that he doesn't think it makes a huge difference in most rock recordings.

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #11 of 18
Oooooh I think what Johnny was trying to say was that aliens are all around us. Or maybe he was trying to say that they're not! I need to read more carefully and consult my numerology charts.

Sep 5, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Radio_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but a preference for flac music is one of the most sensible ideas we have, not to mention no longer an inconvenience due to increased storage size of daps and computers.

Playing lossless files uses an increased amount of power, so there's that in addition to storage space. Since storage is so inexpensive, why not rip .cda files directly (for home playback)? Why bother with FLAC at all?

Sep 5, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Why bother with FLAC at all?

Because I'll need another hard drive, if I were to convert my flac to uncompressed wave. Also wave holds no tag information, and when streaming network bandwidth is increased.

Sep 5, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you read the whole article it's quite enlightening. His point is that technology has gotten in the way of music which is the most important. He's saying it occurs at both ends (folks like here who obsess over oxygen free copper cables) and (folks who think they have something because they have a ripped version of every miles davis track ever recorded they are all set).

I also think he's right that a lot of music doesn't need the ultimate audio quality to rock. Listening to "life during wartime" or "london calling" blasting from my cassette car stereo was great and memorable for reasons having nothing to do with how hi-fi it was

what a good post ! thank you.

I can easily see how some can find such article "depressing": their world of b/s falling apart (I am being a bit extreme here). I myself fall in the same b/s quite often. But I admit it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back