Joni Mitchell
Mar 27, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #46 of 56
Great thread to unearth. She really is so perfect, you'd have to invent her if she didn't already exist. 

May 11, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #48 of 56
I think Joni "shines" far above Carole King or Carly Simon.  Not even in the same class of music or musician as far as I am concerned.  Joni has played with (and been well-respected by) Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorious, Lyle Mays, Wayne Shorter, Don Alias, Michael Brecker and a host of others.  Carly Simon was married to James Taylor.  Need we say more?

May 13, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #49 of 56
To dismiss Carly Simon simply as having been the wife of James Taylor is short-sighted. Rather than my listing her many achievements let me direct you here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carly_Simon

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #53 of 56
None.  Don't get hung up on the equipment.   Enjoy Joni for her musical accomplishments regardless of what you are listening to her on.

To me , she sounded best on the Westone W4.  Her vocals SO lush and engaging.....

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #54 of 56
Basically with Joni you've got several excellent studio albums: Blue, Court and Spark, Hissing of Summer Lawns, and Hejira. Don Juan's Reckless Daughter should have been a good single album; as a double it has some filler, including the truly dreadful "The Tenth World," which is a bunch of drum noise.

I believe Joni has finally come to grips with the fact that she has nothing new to say and that's why she keeps releasing all the repackages. She had a heck of a career. Too bad she released the horrible symphony albums and went out pitifully for her last musical statements.

I've always got my Joni fix from the old FM radio.  I'm a 70's guy and I'm just now getting around to some Joni music added to my collection.  I've got original releases (vinyl) of Blue, Court and Spark, Hissing of Summer Lawns and Heijra (great Jaco bass on that one) heading my way via Discogs.  Does anyone have opinions as to whether the Rhino rereleases are any good?

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #55 of 56
I'm reading good things about the remaster / reissues of Blue, Court and Spark, Hissing of Summer Lawns and Heijira so I'm going to order them.  That should give Joni good representation in my vinyl library.

Jul 10, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #56 of 56
I have Court and Spark and the Live album with Jaco,  Metheny and Mays.  Love both of these recordings immensely!!!

I have sampled a few others but they bore me.  Are there one or two more I may have missed that are close to as good as Court and Spark.  (that record is sensational.....)  I was 35 years late to the party.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back