Joni Mitchell
Sep 24, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #31 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Origen
I was listening to Joni's records before you were even born, and I'll offer my opinion about which of her albums stink and which ones don't whether you think I should be able to or not.

right. there is no difference between expressing one's preferences and disclaiming something as crap.

Sep 24, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #32 of 56
Other titles to avoid:

Shadows and Light: Live album of crappy jazz arrangements.

Night Ride Home: Failed attempt to make a folky comeback; the songs are pretty crappy.

Wild Things Run Fast: Another of Joni's failed stabs, this time at making a pop comeback. Again, the songs are pretty crappy.

Basically with Joni you've got several excellent studio albums: Blue, Court and Spark, Hissing of Summer Lawns, and Hejira. Don Juan's Reckless Daughter should have been a good single album; as a double it has some filler, including the truly dreadful "The Tenth World," which is a bunch of drum noise.

Not all of her later stuff was crap by any means. Chalk Mark in a Rain Storm, Turbulent Indigo and Taming the Tiger are all first-class works.

Dog Eat Dog sounds dated now, but it was okay in its day. And I can still listen to it and enjoy it, but it is clearly a product of its time.

I believe Joni has finally come to grips with the fact that she has nothing new to say and that's why she keeps releasing all the repackages. She had a heck of a career. Too bad she released the horrible symphony albums and went out pitifully for her last musical statements.

Sep 24, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #33 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruggerio79
she is terribly underrated for her genius..

I agree that she is "underrrated". She is underrated not only by the public, but by this thread. Nobody has mentioned that she is a First Rate Guitar Player. She may be the only woman on the 100 Best List.

I agree with most else on this thread. Now, back up the "Big Yellow Taxi", get "My Old Man", "Carey" "Blue", "Turn on the Radio" and "All I Want" is to see "Both Sides Now" of "California" (I know I'm going to Hell!).
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #34 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Blue is one of my faves, and definitely a masterpiece. I have no idea how to even tune my guitar to play one of her songs!

I mentioned it! Her funky alternative tunings are way beyond me. Also, when she went electric, she championed one of my fave amps of all time, the Roland Jazz Chorus, therefore legitimizing solid state amps in the eyes of guitarists. The Jazz Chorus is now considered as one of the legendary vintage amps, and maybe the only one that isn't a tube amp!

Sep 24, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #35 of 56
Jahn says,
Quote:

I mentioned it! . . "I have no idea how to even tune my guitar to play one of her songs!"

WHAT?

I have no idea about the Jazz Chorus amp, but I'm sure it is correct

I totally lost it with Joan Collins. I was ready to go back to bed. Now I'm fully awake.

It is funny, but I do confuse Joan Baez with Joni Mitchell with Joan Collins. How do I keep them straight, easy: Baez slept with Dylan, Mitchell slept with Nass and Collins slept with everyone.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 24, 2006 at 9:52 AM Post #36 of 56
Quote:

Other titles to avoid:

Shadows and Light: Live album of crappy jazz arrangements.

Night Ride Home: Failed attempt to make a folky comeback; the songs are pretty crappy.

Wild Things Run Fast: Another of Joni's failed stabs, this time at making a pop comeback. Again, the songs are pretty crappy.

Basically with Joni you've got several excellent studio albums: Blue, Court and Spark, Hissing of Summer Lawns, and Hejira. Don Juan's Reckless Daughter should have been a good single album; as a double it has some filler, including the truly dreadful "The Tenth World," which is a bunch of drum noise.

Not all of her later stuff was crap by any means. Chalk Mark in a Rain Storm, Turbulent Indigo and Taming the Tiger are all first-class works.

Dog Eat Dog sounds dated now, but it was okay in its day. And I can still listen to it and enjoy it, but it is clearly a product of its time.

I believe Joni has finally come to grips with the fact that she has nothing new to say and that's why she keeps releasing all the repackages. She had a heck of a career. Too bad she released the horrible symphony albums and went out pitifully for her last musical statements.

i see i got you going there. cool.

Sep 24, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #37 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruggerio79
i see i got you going there. cool.

I hadn't realized you were trolling. Well, even so, at least the thread has been useful to steer readers towards Joni's excellent work and away from her crappy work.

Unless you're someone who thinks that everything she has ever done is superb and sheer genius and faultless.

Sep 24, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

I hadn't realized you were trolling. Well, even so, at least the thread has been useful to steer readers towards Joni's excellent work and away from her crappy work.

Unless you're someone who thinks that everything she has ever done is superb and sheer genius and faultless.

No, i am just not someone who decides what is crap for other people.

Oct 30, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #39 of 56
Well, I resurrected this thread (despite its detours)
rolleyes.gif
because I've been relistening to Joni lately and am AMAZED all over again. She was a genius at her peak. "Court and Spark" is such a ridiculously good album, it should be in everyone's collection - period. "Hejira" and my favorite ("Hissing") are also mind-blowing.

Here's the gist, though: I've NEVER HEARD "Blue" or "Ladies of the Canyon". Don't know how I missed them in my four decades of life so far, but there you are. I'm about to remedy the situation.

Oct 31, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
Well, I resurrected this thread (despite its detours)
rolleyes.gif
because I've been relistening to Joni lately and am AMAZED all over again. She was a genius at her peak. "Court and Spark" is such a ridiculously good album, it should be in everyone's collection - period. "Hejira" and my favorite ("Hissing") are also mind-blowing.

Here's the gist, though: I've NEVER HEARD "Blue" or "Ladies of the Canyon". Don't know how I missed them in my four decades of life so far, but there you are. I'm about to remedy the situation.

Yup, ya definitely gotta have "Blue". I love Joni also.

Oct 31, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #41 of 56
I downloaded a TV appearance she made in I think '69. It was an absolutely beautiful but short concert.

I went and bought Court and Spark and hated it, it was too 70's pop for me. What album should I buy for the more folksy 60's sound?

Mar 27, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #44 of 56
Joni's "Court and Spark" =  Miles "Kind of Blue."

Every kid out there tired with todays syrupy pop crap/American Idol garbage should buy this record, play it 10 times and tell me it's not among top 10 in  their collection up to a 1,000 titles.

Fabulous and Timeless!

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #45 of 56

Quote:
Joni's "Court and Spark" =  Miles "Kind of Blue."

Every kid out there tired with todays syrupy pop crap/American Idol garbage should buy this record, play it 10 times and tell me it's not among top 10 in  their collection up to a 1,000 titles.

Fabulous and Timeless!

Wow, resurrecting a 6 year old thread.  A good one to resurrect though. 

Court and Spark isn't even my favorite Joni Mitchell album, so it's not anywhere near my top 10, or top 50 since I'm approaching 5000 albums.  Hejira is my favorite, followed closely by Mingus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back