Joni Mitchell
Sep 21, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #16 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by zowie
Judy Collins, not Joan Collins. LOL!

Dude, Joan Collins was one of the greatest folk artists of our time! And boy could she do a number on that Crystal Carrington!
262560~Joan-Collins-Posters.jpg

Sep 21, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #17 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by zowie
Judy Collins, not Joan Collins. LOL!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Dude, Joan Collins was one of the greatest folk artists of our time! And boy could she do a number on that Crystal Carrington!

dudes, you both totally own me due to a minor brain fart.

However, let me rise from the ashes by suggesting that Joni's "Turbulent Indigo" from the mid '90's is an album for that time. Give it a listen and see if you don't agree that she endures.

Sep 21, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #18 of 56
If you haven't seen/heard 'Shadows and Light', you must do so. and soon.
Besides some wierd film clips that randomly appear, you get to see Joni, Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius, Lyle Mays, and Michael Brecker with backing harmonies by the Persuasions doing stuff from Hejira, Mingus, and Hissing of Summer Lawns.
Also her duet with Neil Young ('Helpless') and 'Coyote' on The Last Waltz dvd is spine-tingling.
tongue.gif

Sep 21, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #19 of 56
Ah, another great artist I forgot about. I see a large CD order in my future...
cool.gif

Sep 21, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #21 of 56
Quote:

"Hissing of Summer Lawns" is the one to start with.

I think that's pretty tough sledding for a first Joni disc. Court and Spark is much more accessible.

Sep 21, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #22 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
"Hissing of Summer Lawns" is the one to start with.

i think BLUE is a better starting point..one should discover her albums chronologically from BLUE til Mingus and witness the stunning evolution from folk to rock/jazz to experimental jazz....HIssing is too sophisticated for a beginning joniphile...

Sep 21, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #23 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruggerio79
i think BLUE is a better starting point..one should discover her albums chronologically from BLUE til Mingus and witness the stunning evolution from folk to rock/jazz to experimental jazz....HIssing is too sophisticated for a beginning joniphile...

Then may I recommend "Ladies of the Canyon" as a start.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #24 of 56
This is really weird, I was/still am listening to Blue right now. I love Joni Mitchell and I am in High School. Most people my age have no idea who she is, so it seems weird that I should stumble on this thread while listening to "Blue" on Blue.

Earlier today I actually thought to myself that I should just go home and relax with my new k601 and listen to some Joni, and here I am. I have not yet heard The Hissing of Summer Lawns, so I will check that out tonight.

I thought I was a minority liking Joni Mitchell. Thanks Head-fi
cool.gif

Sep 23, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #25 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by aiiee
Then may I recommend "Ladies of the Canyon" as a start.
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree; "Blue" is great, but "Ladies" is not to be missed. I clearly remember the first time I heard it (the newly issued vinyl was $4.99!) expecting not to like it and being completely won over.

Sep 23, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #26 of 56
Warning! Do not buy either of her last two regular releases (not counting her many many greatest hits repackages). They are both with symphony orchestras backing her and Joni is horrible. Her voice is shot and her idea of singing soulfully is to sing everything S -- L -- O -- W -- L -- Y. Stick with anything from the 70s (except Mingus, which is wretched beyond description and you'll do fine.

Sep 23, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #27 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Origen
Warning! Do not buy either of her last two regular releases (not counting her many many greatest hits repackages). They are both with symphony orchestras backing her and Joni is horrible. Her voice is shot and her idea of singing soulfully is to sing everything S -- L -- O -- W -- L -- Y. Stick with anything from the 70s (except Mingus, which is wretched beyond description and you'll do fine.

I dont think its fair for you to slam those releases.Maybe its not to your taste but there are alot of people who like MINGUS and those joni albums with orchestra you were talking about are Both Sides Now which is an album of jazz standards poignantly and superbly sang by joni whose "shot" voice works great with jazz and travelogue , a double cd containing jazzy/orchestra reworks of her songs, some very very beautiful moments on those cds.

Sep 23, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #28 of 56
I was listening to Joni's records before you were even born, and I'll offer my opinion about which of her albums stink and which ones don't whether you think I should be able to or not.

Sep 23, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #30 of 56
Red Eyes Alert!!!

The link I'm about to post will take you some time to filter through, but if anyone is looking for some excellent suggestions about which Joni Mitchell albulms are worth the effort, here's the place to go:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...ad.php?t=83145

There are some SERIOUS music nuts at the SH Forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back