Jomo Audio Impressions & Discussion Thread
Nov 19, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #316 of 687
Can't wait for the impressions of these, and interested in hearing about the difference in sound between the brass housing, and stainless steel housing for the Trinitys :gs1000smile:

Nov 19, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #317 of 687
Can't wait for the impressions of these, and interested in hearing about the difference in sound between the brass housing, and stainless steel housing for the Trinitys :gs1000smile:

The stainless steel and the brass are just the nozzles. The rest of the body is acrylic and the sound tubes are the standard, PVC-ish material - trust me, I’ve seen them. :p There shouldn’t be any difference between the two at all. The stainless steel simply looks better IMO. :wink:

Nov 19, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #318 of 687
The stainless steel and the brass are just the nozzles. The rest of the body is acrylic and the sound tubes are the standard, PVC-ish material - trust me, I’ve seen them. :p There shouldn’t be any difference between the two at all. The stainless steel simply looks better IMO. :wink:

There is a significant difference between the SS and brass editions. My take on it is that the SS is more technical and intense while the brass is more laidback with a tonality that I think will be enjoyed by more people at the cost of sheer definition. My personal favourite would be the SS, but both are very capable flagships.

ACD3AFBF-56D8-4F53-B52A-E3C5EF021C13.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #319 of 687
There is a significant difference between the SS and brass editions. My take on it is that the SS is more technical and intense while the brass is more laidback with a tonality that I think will be enjoyed by more people at the cost of sheer definition. My personal favourite would be the SS, but both are very capable flagships.

Ahh, I wasn’t aware of this. Thanks for letting us know! :D Based on the internals I was able to see when the nozzle popped off my loaner unit during tip-rolling (my unit is the CanJam Shanghai demo, so it’s seen a weekend’s worth of heavy wear and tear), the distance between the tip of the internal sound tubes and the tip of the nozzle is around 2mm, so I wonder where the discrepancy between the two variants take place. Perhaps the nozzle is acting as a waveguide then. Considering what I’m hearing with the SS version, the brass variant will certainly make the Trinity an easy flagship to recommend options-wise. I wonder how the custom will sound then? :wink:

Nov 19, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #320 of 687

The graphs look pretty great as well. I told Joseph after my initial listen that the 7-10kHz region was a touch too hot for my tastes relative to the bass and midrange, even though I could get used to it within a track or two. The brass variant looks like it has my preferred bass quantity, but the upper-mid discrepancy will be my main point of concern. On one hand, the 1-4 kHz rise will be more linear (I EQ'ed 3-4kHz down a touch on my SS unit a few days ago and the result was mixed-to-positive), but would the 2-3dB, 2-4kHz drop perhaps make instruments sound too distant/diffuse? What were your thoughts on this, @crinacle or anyone else who attended the Euphoria event?

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #322 of 687
The graphs look pretty great as well. I told Joseph after my initial listen that the 7-10kHz region was a touch too hot for my tastes relative to the bass and midrange, even though I could get used to it within a track or two. The brass variant looks like it has my preferred bass quantity, but the upper-mid discrepancy will be my main point of concern. On one hand, the 1-4 kHz rise will be more linear (I EQ'ed 3-4kHz down a touch on my SS unit a few days ago and the result was mixed-to-positive), but would the 2-3dB, 2-4kHz drop perhaps make instruments sound too distant/diffuse? What were your thoughts on this, @crinacle or anyone else who attended the Euphoria event?

I felt that the transients took a bit of hit in exchange for a more pleasing timbre/tone. I preferred the SS more or less due to the fact that the brass was too midbassy for me and the SS had a sub-bass focus. Separation was also a little fuzzy on the brass compared to the SS, but again the brass has a more natural decay and so better timbre. I tried them at the Jomo offices yesterday for a few hours but I'll see if I can get a loan so that I can get a more in-depth analysis of it all.

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #324 of 687
I felt that the transients took a bit of hit in exchange for a more pleasing timbre/tone. I preferred the SS more or less due to the fact that the brass was too midbassy for me and the SS had a sub-bass focus. Separation was also a little fuzzy on the brass compared to the SS, but again the brass has a more natural decay and so better timbre. I tried them at the Jomo offices yesterday for a few hours but I'll see if I can get a loan so that I can get a more in-depth analysis of it all.

Thanks! Based on what I'm hearing with the SS, I may prefer the Brass a touch more. Though, I'll have to see how much technical performance is sacrificed in the process when I visit Singapore again next month. Cheers! :)

Nov 20, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #326 of 687

I do have the SS variant at the moment and you’ll soon see that the “flaws” I hear in the SS may be answered with the Brass. :wink:

I'm a little concern about what you say about SS, and compared to Brass, especially in the timbre/tone as it is very important for me. Are we talking about real differences there, or margin spreads ?

Nov 20, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #328 of 687
the measurements show difference in the upper mids and the whole bass area, that will be audible for sure
For sure but what is worrying me is the impact of thoose differences on timbre, especially when Deezel talks about "flaws", even within brackets...

Nov 20, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #329 of 687
For sure but what is worrying me is the impact of thoose differences on timbre, especially when Deezel talks about "flaws", even within brackets...
well the brass will be warmer with less bite in the upper mids, more mid, upper and sub bass, more musical, crinacle pointed earlier - less technique, pick your poison

Nov 20, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #330 of 687
well the brass will be warmer with less bite in the upper mids, more mid, upper and sub bass, more musical, crinacle pointed earlier - less technique, pick your poison
I know how to read a curve and went through the various posts, thanks.
Just wanting to know more about the timbre/tone, their consistency, articulation etc...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back