John Grado has agreed to an interview, I invite you to suggest some questions
Jul 27, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #46 of 87
What's the design philosophy of your products? Tell us what you aim for with regards to how your headphones sound. What kind of experience do you want the customers to have when listening to your headphones?

Jul 27, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #47 of 87
1. Can you ask if they can tame down the midrange-to-high resonant peak in the RS-1, or another way of asking is if they are planning on making a can with less trouble energy.

2. Do they plan on experimenting with different cup designs / driver placement to improve soundstage.

3. Will they ever re-release the HP-1 or 2s?

Jul 27, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #50 of 87
1) How the heck does he manage to get such an amazing, detailed sound out of a $40 cartridge? (Grado Black) ...rhetorical, of course.
biggrin.gif

2) I too want to know the progress of the Grado streetstyle phones. I e-mailed Grado once and they simply replied "Still under development. No release date set as of yet. Thank you."

3) Is there a possibility of yet another type of pad coming out? Personally, I really wouldn't mind having another headphone pad in my inventory to switch with every once in a while.

4) Tell him to keep up the good work! My SR-80's have been chugging along perfectly so far and haven't shown any signs of wear, though they have burned in more, resulting in better bass.

Jul 27, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #52 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Will you ever do a high impedence grado headphone that will work well with tube amps?

Change the amp, not the headphones.
wink.gif

Grado's need some serious current, tube power amp like power, not sissy tube pre-amp like power. ^^

Biggie.

Jul 27, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #53 of 87
Ask John whether he could produce an electrostatic headphone (without amp) that equals the performance of the Orpheus HE90, but that costs less than $3,500, and also whether he could produce a dynamic headphone that equals the performance of the Sony R10, but that costs less than $2,500.

Jul 27, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #56 of 87
has he considered making a super expensive but super quality phone, like the orpheus, just to show the skill of grado and bring in some fame?

Jul 27, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #57 of 87
Ask him if he has any plans or thoughts of any ideas for a new set of cans to introduce into the line.

Also, what does he feel about how headphone amplification has progressed. Has he listened or does he own/listen to any of the current headphone amp offerings available now?

Jul 27, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #58 of 87
1] What percentage of RS-1 bodies are scrapped during production?

2] How thick are the driver membranes?

3] Aprox how long and what gauge are the voice coils?

4] What is the criteria used for matching drivers to 0.05db. Are they matched at one frequency and which one (or more). Is a sampling of a batch measured or is every set "matched"?

5] Besides PS-1, all drivers are physically the same in appearance, are they all the same and if not, what is different?

6] The PS-1 was obviously made for a special limited run which seems to be nearing the end of availability (from what I've read here). I would assume a new model is in the works that will be in the same vein and released in USA, assuming with probable improvements cosmetically and possibly sonically. From the PS-1's popularity business wise, it seems it would be foolish not to, so bring it on. Since the PS-1 didn't exist until after it was released, I'll assume we may hear nothing till a new model is actually for sale. But just in case you're feeling jolly and loose lipped (without giving too much info), will the name follow PS such as PS-1000, PS-Pro, PS-2 (nah) or something totally new?

7] What's made in house, anything anymore? How about some manufacturing pics of anything that is... let's see the basement!

Jul 27, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #59 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
What's the design philosophy of your products? Tell us what you aim for with regards to how your headphones sound. What kind of experience do you want the customers to have when listening to your headphones?

Yes, this should definitely be on the list!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #60 of 87
1. I think that it is fairly clear, both from my own experience and what I have read here, that his headphones have a distinctive sound. How did he arrive at that sound? Does he foresee revisiting the "Grado sound"?

2. How does his commitment to American production figure in on his business? His designs?

3. Where is the company going in the next five years? Ten?

4. How does he view his position in the market? Who is his ideal consumer?

5. Given the rapid development of audio technology in the past ten years, where does he see the market going? Does he see a change in corporate philosophy because of the inevitable paradigm shift?

6. In re his cartridge business: Does he see expansion of the vinyl market, as digital refugees seek something with (arguably) greater fidelity and a more personal level of involvement with the music? Also, how has the entrance of the "DJ culture" into the mainstream affected his business?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back