John Grado has agreed to an interview, I invite you to suggest some questions
Jul 26, 2005 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 87

Zanth

SHAman who knew of Head-Fi ten years prior to its existence
Well folks the title says it all. John Grado has graciously agreed to an interview. I have had some questions I have wanted to ask him for a while now ones that I think will be very interesting and informative to the community (particularly because, arrogant or not, I think I am right in a few of my assumptions, but we shall find out!).

So I extend an invitation to the membership to post some mature questions that I will try to throw in there. Please, serious questions only. Don't bother with trade-secret-like questions, I will not ask such questions, nor would I expect John to answer them.

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 87
the secret in the sound of RA1.

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 87
Will you ever do a high impedence grado headphone that will work well with tube amps?

I would love a high impedence grado headphone equivalent to a sr-225.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 87
Whether he will ever add or replace any of the can's in the Grado line up? Oh and please ask him to think about making some closed Grado's...get some kid with you and give him $5 tell him to repeat the words "P-p-please sir....may I have some closed Grado's??"

Haha...hopefully that will make him think about it.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam_Master_J
Any word on when the street-style SR-40 replacement will be released?

That is an AWESOME question lol. Partnered with that is the question of the cable - current grado cables are too heavy/thick/long for portable use - does he plan to get a slimmer more flexible cable for the SR40 that meets his standards? (no trade secrets need be released in answering this)

I know that John loves the bowls. But has he taken a look at the circumaural pad alternatives out there, and would he ever consider them as an option, if not factory stock, then at least an accessory? If that's too much to ask, what does he think about how a circumaural pad affects the "Grado Sound" - likes, dislikes?

Obviously he's going to give big kudos to the RA-1. But what does he think about the other amps out there and the building momentum for headphone-only amps? Is this a trend he's going to jump on, or is he content with his current lineup of RA-1s? (You can ask him about what his fave non-RA-1 amp is, but I doubt he'd answer lol)

Also, the DAC issue. Where does he see the headphone industry moving - towards or away from portable digital line-outs in the future? That could affect the future of portable DACS, DACS incorporated into portable/transportable amps, or even Grado considering a DAC of their own. Hey, if they make a phono stage to address the perfect analog sound, why not something to address the ideal digital signal?

Grado has recently refreshed the SR325/MS-2. Has John put any thought into improving the plastic housings of the rest of the Prestige Series of cans? We'd all love a little more soundstage!

The PS-1. Will John ever release this Professional Series in the States, if not for commercial use, then at least to US Pros? Or is it just a German one-off request? If it was, is there any plans to continue a Professional Series?

What does John think of the recent malady of "Hotmixing" going on in the music industry? Does he have an opinion about the future of music recording/production, if the mainstream continues to horribly compress newer albums to satisfy radioplay while ignoring how it sounds on more revealing cans like the Grado? No one wants to eventually be forced to only listen to "audiophile-quality" reference CDs when they want to put on thier Grados - there is only so much one can listen to New Age Jazz and Classical tunes from Naim!

Obvious question one - Does John visit Head-fi himself? How does he like it?

Obvious question two - Mini-meet at Grado Labs in the future, anyone? I'd love to hear those RS-1 speakers!

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 87
**edited**

What is his relationship with George Alessandro? are they buddies or just business assocoiates?

What was the thinking / business strategy in partnering with Alessandro Music products, and would he consider partnering with another "label". Is he concerned that the MS1 seems to be pulling so much sales volume from the SR125 and SR80?

What were some of the SR125 ideas/concepts that were prototyped but not implemented into the MS-1?

What were some of the SR325 ideas/concepts that were prototyped but not implemented in the MS-2?

Is he accepting resumees'??
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks,
Garrett (MS2/SR40-fan)

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 87
from the most to the least important :

1. given they have more then 10 years now , there will be another hp1000 release ( another bunch ) or there is another Grado monitor type heapdhones release on horizon ?

are there major changes and new arrivals in the Grado line on the horizon ?

are you going to release a new Grado amp in the future ?

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 87
It seems the Grado lineup takes its stylistic cues from vintage headphones. With respect to future developments, will the headphones make form factor changes to allow for greater comfort?

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 87
oh, I forgot

4.(but not less important then 1)

can you send me an hp1000 for free ?

even two , or three , if they're there in your home taking dust send them to me , I'll find a use for them
cool.gif

please Zanth , take this question very seriously among others
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #11 of 87
Does he have any desire to push his products into the mainstream market, and acquire more visibility with celebrities and popular musicians? IE - Howard Stern, MTV, VH1...etc...

Who are some famous musicians who use Grado cans?

Garrett

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #12 of 87
I have some technical questions, but I wonder how much he could answer and how much would be confidential. Have always wondered if the basically ruler flat impedance of Grado's has been a design criteria from the get go, a manufacturing desired spec and goal in the grado design approach.

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #13 of 87
What's his favourite headphone? (including the older ones SR-200 ect) What's his favourite album/track to be played on that headphone? Any thoughts about making some speakers?

And be sure to thank the man! Theres alot of love for his SR-225's coming from the UK.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #14 of 87
1) Does Grado have plans to develop an online store?

2) Comfort (already mentioned), but more specifically, is there any consideration to changing the material of the bowls?

3) Would Grado ever consider offering a group buy to the Head-Fi community?

4) Settle once and for all whether the MS-1 is based on the SR-125 (I guess this is kind of a trade secret thing).

Thanks, Mr. Grado, for agreeing to be interviewed and thank you, Zanth, for asking for our input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back