John Grado called my cell phone
Mar 3, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #31 of 81
wow, now john grado must be really a real nice guy and a wise businessman to have done that.
smily_headphones1.gif
very hands on, indeed.

Mar 3, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #32 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea I think taht its pretty cool he called. but the fact that he said that they wont fix it is pretty lame. -greg

i think john's point was that they were not messed up, that's just the nature of the finish. having dealt with john many times over the years i would be willing to bet that if there was something to "fix" he would have happily done so.

i expect that the op could return them to wherever he got them, and choose something else. that would "fix" it if he perceives something as being broken.

personally, i'd probably file a restraining order against john to put an end to the unsatisfying phone contact...

Mar 3, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #33 of 81
<shakes head>

It's sad to see how some people so greatly undervalue relationships and community. Enjoy your things, if they mean that much more to you.

Regards,

-Jason

Mar 3, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #34 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpusRob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the unusual condition of the finish which I had noticed and brought to Grado's attention was normal and fairly typical for the metal housings.

Nice of him to call, but the first thing that came to my mind when looking at the pic in your other thread is that it's an artifact of the manufacturing process. To me it would be sufficient reason for replacement, regardless of how "normal and fairly typical" it might be.

What if it was a CD player? For instance, imagine one of those nice Chord CD players encased in aluminum. Would you buy it, or wouldn't you want to replace it, if it had any such "normal and fairly typical" marks anywhere on its surface?
_dbimages_Twin-CD-syst-web2-B.jpg

Mar 3, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #35 of 81
I always thought it was 'Grah-doh' until I spoke to a respected Head-Fi member in New York over the telephone. I'll admit that, in my mind, 'Gray-doh' doesn't sound right, no matter how wrong that is. Apologies to Mr. Grado.

Back to the subject at hand:

I haven't read the initial thread regarding the MS2i, but I have a Grado 325i and noticed that the gold color is a bit uneven. I don't know if they are anodized or just treated with a corrosion resistant material, like cadmium plating. I assumed they were cad plated because of the color, which is really a yellowish gold. Having worked in the defense industry I have seen many commercially coated items and the 325i looks great in comparison. The coating is much more even.

Mar 3, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #37 of 81
Im not a fan of Grado headphones, they just don't do it for me. However I am really at a loss as to the negative comments posted by people here concerning these headphones and Mr Grados phone call concerning them.

I think its admirable that a CEO is involved with his business that way. Now the explanation that that is simply "what the metal looks like" is more than reasonable. If the buyer is unsatisfied with the finish of a product, then you should return it to the retailer. Accusing Grado of poor quality manufacturing is just daft.

Mar 3, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #38 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<shakes head>

It's sad to see how some people so greatly undervalue relationships and community. Enjoy your things, if they mean that much more to you.

Regards,

-Jason

They did not spend their hard-earned money to purchase a relationship, but rather for a product. The relationship, while nice, was not the motivation for the purchase and serves the benefit of the manufacturer far more than it serves the customer. And if he values that relationship so highly, he'd go out of his was to insure that his customers are fully satisfied so as to maintain that relationship.
Also, when you sell "Quality" you really need to provide a quality product, not just call it so. Call a turd a rose all you want it will never smell like a rose.

Mar 3, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #39 of 81
Quote:

<shakes head>

Regards,

-Jason

This hobby is first and foremost about headphones and listening to music on them. Furthermore, I don't think you have the right to judge us by saying we value our possessions more than our personal relationships, just because we want to receive the quality product that we spent our hard-earned money on (in some case, a tremendous amount of money) rather than talking to the president of the company.

Mar 3, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #40 of 81
I had a similar experience with Grado labs. I had a complaint with regard to cosmetic flaws on a new pair of RS-1s. It ended with John Grado talking with me on the phone, and he ended up sending me a replacement pair.

He is a nice, humble and down to earth guy.

For those interested, you can read about it here. If you don't want to dig through the whole thread, you can just jump to post #164.

I never posted the pictures of the replacement pair, but they were very nice cosmetically.

I can't say I ever had a company deal with a complaint that ended with the CEO of said company dealing with me personally over the phone. Pretty classy IMO.

For the record, I can't understand how anyone ever thought Grado was pronounced 'Grah-doh' instead of 'Grey-doh'.
confused.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #43 of 81
Quote:

You're nuts, right? You're saying you'd rather have a flawlessly finished aluminum housing on a pair of headphones than have the owner of an accomplished and unique headphone company recognize your complaints as a customer and spend the time to call you up?

I'm sorry mate, in that case your priorities are in the wrong place. Between a world where headphone housings are flawless and one in which there may be deviations, but an owner who cares enough to read these forums and respond from time to time - the latter is more desirable by a far margin.

I don't think that's what the OP was saying at all. It would be nice if, for that amount of $ ($300), he received a new product that didn't have marks on the housings, AND an owner that cares enough to read the forums and respond from time to time. I don't think he ever said that it had to be one or the other.

The weird thing is that if this condition on the housings is fairly normal, how come other people haven't voiced this problem on the boards?

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #44 of 81
I suspect most manufacturers are here or have someone here pretty regularly. That is awesome that John took the time to call. I saw the thread you originally posted. I am one picky SOB, and that would have bothered me as well. I am loving my RS-1s
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back