John Grado called my cell phone
Mar 3, 2007 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 81

OpusRob

100+ Head-Fier
Most days, when my cell phone rings, it's not John Grado on the other end of the line. Today was different. I was teaching a lesson in my music theory class when one of my students said something was vibrating - it was my phone. When I answered, the voice on the other end said, "Rob, this is John Grado calling." Needless to say, I was confused. He was calling to respond to my concerns about the finish on my MS2i that just arrived last week (see my other post at http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...hlight=normal). Anyway, to make a long story short, he wanted me to know that the unusual condition of the finish which I had noticed and brought to Grado's attention was normal and fairly typical for the metal housings. It is apparently a characteristic of the metal used for the finish. I very much appreciated the call and his effort as the president of the company to assuage my concerns personally. While I still wish the outcome was somehow different (I think I had hoped that they would change out the housings, if only to satisfy my desire for cosmetic perfection), overall, I thought it was very nice of him to call and talk with me personally. If only I had been less taken aback, I might have had something ready to ask him or at least a comment about how much I liked Grado's phones and cartridges. Instead, I stammered a bit and repeated myself. Oh well. Perhaps next time . . .

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 81
Sweet ... I think ill post about how I hate jessica alba's acting ....
...maybe she will call ..
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet ... I think ill post about how I hate jessica alba's acting ....
...maybe she will call ..
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

you, sir, are a genius

Mar 3, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #4 of 81
It's like the "Schweet Maunster" moment - you post away but then WHO is reading? Yikes!
eek.gif
Glad to see that folks are so responsive to our fellow Head-fiers tho!

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #5 of 81
I looked at your photo on the other thread. Those ares chromate marks, what happen was overexposure to removing yellow chromate. Normally aluminium is chromated to prevent it from oxidizing. Yellow chromate offers the best protection, but not necessary good looking, so they use a technique to remove some of the yellow chromate until it becomes clear, but clear chromate offer less protection.

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #7 of 81
that means john grado is a lurker

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #8 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that means john grado is a lurker

I wonder what his user ID is?

Mar 3, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #12 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace o' Spades /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gray-doh

It's settled then. Noone can bully others into saying grah-doh anymore.
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #13 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's nice he phoned you up, but it's still a crappy finishing job. Oh well, can't have everything.

You're nuts, right? You're saying you'd rather have a flawlessly finished aluminum housing on a pair of headphones than have the owner of an accomplished and unique headphone company recognize your complaints as a customer and spend the time to call you up?

I'm sorry mate, in that case your priorities are in the wrong place. Between a world where headphone housings are flawless and one in which there may be deviations, but an owner who cares enough to read these forums and respond from time to time - the latter is more desirable by a far margin.

I can't help but feel that the people behind Stax of the old days would have done the same (at least in Japan). Can't say the same of the beancounters running that company in this modern era. After all, they're the ones who are satisfied with showing customers Omega 2 being run out of 007t's.

A world in which people actually have such a stake in their product as what John Grado has exemplified here is a fleeting thing.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #15 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's settled then. Noone can bully others into saying grah-doh anymore.
tongue.gif

Now it's settled? What Brooklyn-born Italian would pronounce Grado "Grah-do"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back