Job offer but moral dilemma... what say you Head-fi?
Mar 13, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #31 of 45
It is nice to see other people who show loyalty. I am somewhat the same. Having been made redundant 3 times, the last time with a big cheque
biggrin.gif
, one comes to a point where you have to realise that loyalty is about 90% employee to employer and 10% the other direction.

I say jump ship as soon as you can. Sooner or later your number will be the next in the lay-off queue.

I will leave you with this true anecdote

I was working for a North American company until recently. The HR (Human Remains as I like to call them) director piped up with this comment in a meeting one day:-

"We don't want your loyalty, we want your commitment"

Something to think about isn't it?

Mar 13, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #32 of 45
Thelonious Monk;2788551 said:
i think that him surviving two sets of lay-offs proves that the company doesn't want to lose him.
Before I was laid-off the third time, I had survived seven, yes 7, rounds of lay-offs over 3 years. Nothing is ever certain!

Mar 13, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #33 of 45
Wakeride - if your present company didn't have you sign a note of obligation requiring a year of service in the new rating...

Businessmen respect business-driven decisions. That is how they operate 100% of the time, if they are good at it. Just business.

Be polite to your fellow workers, and explain the offer - I'll bet they say "GO FOR IT!", as they are friends. Tell them how much you regret having to leave them in a hard spot. They will completely understand.

Make no offer to pay the present company back. Only offer to stay if their counteroffer is good enough to make you think it is a better deal (NET) than the new company deal. Just Business - your family is your most important business, and you gotta do what you gotta do.

Mar 13, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #35 of 45
I respect that you're trying to do the right thing Wakeride, but not taking the job is misguided. There is absolutely no moral dilemma here.

I work in Bay Area also. I'm sure your company will lay you off at the drop of a hat if it's fiscally or otherwise necessary in their opinion. And that's fine...this is business, not friendship.

Your loyalty should be to your co-workers, but it shouldn't extend to skipping a job...that's just silly. Instead, try to give as much notice as your new employer will allow. When I left my job of seven+ years, I gave more notice and furiously trained my co-workers. I went back a number of times at my cost after hours and on weekends to make sure I helped them with questions they had. I also made myself available by e-mail after hours, and responded the same day with any questions they had. You could do that.

Mar 13, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #36 of 45
Go ahead and explore the possiblility of a new job. If they want to give you an offer, then I suggest you make your decision based on only one thing. Look at all the pluses and minuses of working for either company and then decide if you really want to take the new job or stay. If after doing that you decide that you really want to stay, then you really have no delimma.

If you decide that you really would like to take the new job, then you just have to do so cleanly as people have suggested. However, you need to do it in a way that works for you. If you'll feel better my paying back the $5k, then do so. You'll have to live with yourself so don't start the new job with any extra regrets (there are always some regrets).

As to feeling disloyal to your current boss and coworker, you shouldn't. If you really think that they are good, you should eventually try to hire them into the new company and they will probably be happy to have such a landing place. If you don't think that they are not that good (not my impression), then you shouldn't stick with them.

Just my 2 cents.

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #37 of 45
Take the new job.

Congrats!

Mar 13, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...As a company speaking they would lay you off if they had to save their butts in the end..so look out for your own butt always!

QFT. The only one truly looking out for you is you. If it's something you're interested in go for it.

If it doesn't work out you could probably go back to the other company if you left on good terms...

Mar 14, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #40 of 45
This is really a question of company loyalty. The offer sounds really terrific, and hard to miss (assuming that the job won't rotate to somebody else quickly). I would have to agree with the fact that if you stay with your present company, you'll probably have to deal with the possibility of being laid off in the near future. However, since they've invested that much into you as a employee, it's natural to feel disloyal for thinking about moving on. In fact, if I left my current position for something I would feel guilty, but it's a matter of financial growth, and if they can't manage to match it at least within 6 months, I would leave. So in short, yes, I would take up the offer, but I would give the current employer time to look for someone as dedicated as you are.

Mar 14, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #41 of 45
Take the new job if offered. I think the shorter commute will be worth more to you than the money.

As for the current job, be honest with them if you take the new position. Tell them the same thing you told us and they should be OK with it. Be sure to offer to help them out if you can.

My brother-in-law recently left a job and offered to give them a hand if needed. They responded by keeping him on part time as a consultant for some projects. They give him $75 an hour. Not too bad and (I think) everyone is happy with the situation. I don't know if you'd want to do something like that, but it's worth keeping in mind. You could help them out and make a few extra dollars, too.

Mar 14, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #42 of 45
As good as you think your current employer is, your primary responsibility is to yourself. If you decide to stay, and you told your boss that you just turned donw an offer, do you think he will match or beat the offer? Will he give you a big fat cheque when you do finally leave to make up for any lost opportunities?

Do what's best for your and your situation. As long as you don't make job hopping a habit and you get a reputation for it - what's the problem. Hey, there's even a possibility that you go to the new place and stay a few years, skill up an dthen decide to go back to your current employer - but with even more skills than you may have developed if your had stayed.

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #43 of 45
Just wanted to update this thread and let y'all know I just got the offer after a Friday interview... this is crazy, it was the easiest and shortest interview I've ever had and they offered my 30% more than I am making now with a $4k sign-on bonus!

Of course I accepted... now to deal with my departure here... oh and expand the first home purchase search!

Thanks for all the feedback... guess it was meant to be.... now I will be fit for some wallet damage at the meet
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #44 of 45
congrats!!

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #45 of 45
Congratulations!! I read this thread a bit late, was going to suggest mentalize yourself to accept the offer, but notify your current employer before, so as to give it a chance to counter-offer. That counter-offer most likely would not be as attractive, but you gave it the chance anyway out of courtesy.

In any case I think you made the right move for your professional growth. Congratulations again and best luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back