JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Aug 28, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #496 of 1,111
I've had the XTC 2.5 closed backs for about a week and have been letting them break-in. I realize there can be opposing views on break-in of equipment, and personally feel that for speakers and headphones where there is mechanical, and actual movement of components, it makes a difference.

My expertise and experience with headphones is relatively low compared with the many dedicated members on this site, so take my views with a grain of salt. I'm mainly a traditional 2-channel stereo guy. The search for closed back headphones was driven by the need to block outside noise when I cannot fully appreciate my 2-channel system. My wife enjoys cooking...a lot...in our open floor plan home. I previously used the Denon AH-9200 and while they sound great (and a little smoother than the XTC 2.5 up top) I felt they were a little light in tone and lean in nature.

I reached out to John when learning of the XTC Closed here and put in an order for warm but detailed tuning. John provides a level of customer care and service I've never experienced before. He presented wood cup options and all were amazingly beautiful. I chose the matte finish on a darker wood. It looks sort of like walnut, but John mentioned it is a form of Brazilian Ebony. The wood feels very dense and substantial in weight, but the head band carries the weight so well making them extremely comfortable.

The sound is simply amazing. I listen primarily to jazz when using headphones and the XTC 2.5 accurately conveys the sense of recorded space (i.e. small club / studio / large venue), and with the weight and tone the Denon's couldn't match. I do feel the Denon is more finely grained in the upper frequencies that produce a more liquid like presentation, but it's really splitting hairs and only notice it when swapping quickly between the two. The XTC 2.5's high performance in other areas make this a non-issue for me.

The sound isolation is also fantastic even when listening at moderate levels. I cannot hear anything short of a garbage truck coming down the street.

Overall, I feel John's headphones are a bargain given the level of service and expertise he brings to the equation, and can highly recommend the XTC to anyone looking for a closed back design...with tuning options by the person who actually builds them.

Attachments

• IMG_3086.jpg
    IMG_3086.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3090.jpg
    IMG_3090.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3085.jpg
    IMG_3085.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3089.jpg
    IMG_3089.jpg
  • IMG_3091.jpg
    IMG_3091.jpg
  • IMG_3087.jpg
    IMG_3087.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Aug 28, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #497 of 1,111
I just received these headphones. Have now a quick test with them. As you read probably already above its uniquely tuned. What I instantly noticed was that the details enforce themselves somehow better, might be the reason that the bass is lowered. Other than that insanely clear more than the warm tuning, it’s easier to listen to, these need imo some time to burn in to truly shine ✨
Absolutely the longer they burn in the better they sound. I also noticed a nice scaling up on the two systems at the store then my reference Mjolnir II (Chord TT2 & Upscaler and Ifi signature Pro). Still hear an exaggerated S on female vocals. Nice 2.5s!

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #498 of 1,111
Absolutely the longer they burn in the better they sound. I also noticed a nice scaling up on the two systems at the store then my reference Mjolnir II (Chord TT2 & Upscaler and Ifi signature Pro). Still hear an exaggerated S on female vocals. Nice 2.5s!
I could not see burn in whatsoever on beryl at all. Smooth from the start. Biowool sounded slightly grainy at first and it may have smoothed out completely by now need to test it more. Burn in on Focal Clears and Bathys was very profound. I also could not see burn in on z1r.

Aug 28, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #499 of 1,111
I could not see burn in whatsoever on beryl at all. Smooth from the start. Biowool sounded slightly grainy at first and it may have smoothed out completely by now need to test it more. Burn in on Focal Clears and Bathys was very profound. I also could not see burn in on z1r.
Well I have😃…. Mine sound markedly better. Could be brain burn in also, though I doubt it.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #500 of 1,111
Would you say that the Beryllium drivers offer better resolution and a cleaner, clearer presentation than the Biowool? Any other noticeable differences that stood out to you?

Aug 28, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #501 of 1,111
Would you say that the Beryllium drivers offer better resolution and a cleaner, clearer presentation than the Biowool? Any other noticeable differences that stood out to you?
I would say Beryl is cleaner/clearer but close to the same resolution. I must say the Bio really scaled nicely on my new stuff and sounds black, refined in some sense and quite smooth with revealing tubes but still not as smooth as the beryl overall. It's right at the point where I'm really happy with how it sounds and it doesn't bug me to compare in a revealing system. They are definitely apples and oranges. I am having so much fun swapping them out I just smile every time finding no preference I like them both so much. The biowool does some interesting stuff. It has some really amazing dynamics going on. Sometimes the bass will hit twice as hard and it can be quite colorful. My beryl are tuned extra musical and my biowool more neutral but still very musical. Stage/imaging/timbre/tone texture just all kinds of differences between the two it's a pretty big mind warp to swap out and I've been smiling the last two days every time. Both scale unbelievably well to me and this is my first time experiencing some of this stuff.

Aug 28, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #502 of 1,111
I would say Beryl is cleaner/clearer but close to the same resolution. I must say the Bio really scaled nicely on my new stuff and sounds black, refined in some sense and quite smooth with revealing tubes but still not as smooth as the beryl overall. It's right at the point where I'm really happy with how it sounds and it doesn't bug me to compare in a revealing system. They are definitely apples and oranges. I am having so much fun swapping them out I just smile every time finding no preference I like them both so much. The biowool does some interesting stuff. It has some really amazing dynamics going on. Sometimes the bass will hit twice as hard and it can be quite colorful. My beryl are tuned extra musical and my biowool more neutral but still very musical. Stage/imaging/timbre/tone texture just all kinds of differences between the two it's a pretty big mind warp to swap out and I've been smiling the last two days every time. Both scale unbelievably well to me and this is my first time experiencing some of this stuff.
Thank you, much appreciated. One more question, how would you describe the timbre, texture, and tonality differences you mentioned? I know this is extremely difficult to describe. I've had a 1.5 open Biowool on loan. Just really curious how the Beryllium sounds in comparison.

Aug 28, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #503 of 1,111
Probably didn't pay his Head-Fi bill again.

Just kidding.

I was thinking of getting an XTC 2.5 based on what owners are saying here. I would compare it to my OG XTC-Closed.

Aug 29, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #504 of 1,111
Thank you, much appreciated. One more question, how would you describe the timbre, texture, and tonality differences you mentioned? I know this is extremely difficult to describe. I've had a 1.5 open Biowool on loan. Just really curious how the Beryllium sounds in comparison.
There are so many differences and nuances it is a big answer. The beryl really makes me happy and wins in some cases related to texture and separation. Hilary Hahn it is more cool overall tone and able to perfectly and easily follow her playing inside of the concerto. Much more silky sounding violins, thinner sounding but clearer seperation still plenty of nice color. Everything in one big seamless cloud. Some really nice bass rumbling timbres and textures and some very airy Cello strikes and beats the Biowool another win and in the bass region for Beryl. Bio does something weird and makes a chunky edgy stage that can sound really cool and is alot of fun. It tends to fill in bass for more texture/timbre there in it's own way in a bigger overall and throughout sense. I hear alot of big heavy tones punching through with the biowool I don't get with the beryl and I think that's a win there for the bio. I think the Beryl is more refined sounding overall and pulls of some pretty extra amazing things at times that probably put it ahead. But wow who can put words to the pizzazz of the Biowool with some of this stuff. A nuance I see the beryl also do is adding some real colored zing and zest to certain small details as well randomly in some recordings. Both have some really unique attributes and pizzazz for sure indescribable maybe I can after more than a couple of days of comparing like this with this stuff. I have alot of stuff breaking in right now and I have noticed a difference today with things being more vibrant in general. In a few weeks I should be more precise to answer this kind of thing. I plan to maybe do a review after a few months once I've gotten past the intial effect and bias that occurs. It is hard not to give bad impressions that could be misleading no doubt!

Aug 29, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #505 of 1,111
I must say the same the biowool sounds somehow damped in the high end region

Aug 29, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #506 of 1,111
I must say the same the biowool sounds somehow damped in the high end region
The gap closes in upper forwardness and seperation increases alot and becomes much closer when swapping it I EQ it to an even level with the mojo 2 upper shelf which is a non distorting EQ. The Bio EQs very nicely this way. Biowool Very Detailed would be some nice tuning for sure. I wish I could AB the same tuning. I am going to AB a bunch today on the Mojo and the Woo.

Interesting to see my Bio really likes Tubulus I2s and does not like my unbroken in AVplay 300 I2s at all sounds dull as crap in the upper, brings out the bass to an insane level vs the beryl here though, just like a whole bass song emerges on it's own in comparison... Beryl really likes Avplay 300 on some songs just incredible fine details but the bass is lacking in all songs and doesn't sound right. It takes a long time to break in the AVplay cable only got about 40 hours on it but seeing how it all responds to various combinations is really really obvious and they are just so different what the heck!!

Aug 29, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #509 of 1,111
how long does it take to get your headphones? I ordered the XTC 2.5
It took John less than a week to do mine, emailing back and forth every day. He sent out from USA to Australia and it looks like I have a UPS date of 1 week from sent date-pretty bloody fast!!! Mine arrive on 5/9.
I began the journey in 20/8.

Aug 29, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #510 of 1,111
It took John less than a week to do mine, emailing back and forth every day. He sent out from USA to Australia and it looks like I have a UPS date of 1 week from sent date-pretty bloody fast!!! Mine arrive on 5/9.
I began the journey in 20/8.
How are the 2.5s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back