JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Aug 16, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #466 of 1,144
Well the bass even on the scalpel tuning I have is really nice and plentiful imo. If you've tried different pads on your Atrium already then yes the XTC will probably give you what you are looking for. Just need to provide as much info and detail as possible to John to help him figure out exactly what you want and you should be good. There is the new XTC2 open if you want to try that one since it should have a even bigger sound stage. I suggest watching this video that was posted recently and the interview video from earlier as well if you have time since it should give you a better idea of what you are getting.

I’m not much of a bass head but I don’t think I’d want the scalpel flat bass. As far as lcd 5 goes I’m not sure I get along with planar sound.

Aug 16, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #467 of 1,144
My XTC came intoday. Very impressed. Great unboxing experience, and a very cozy headphone. I'm super happy with them so far! They defiantly pass the eye candy, unboxing, and build quality tests. Wow!
Mine should arrive tomorrow...pretty darn exciting indeed to wait and then see and hear them. Would you mind posting some pics? Also, do you plan any break-in period ?

Aug 16, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #468 of 1,144
Mine should arrive tomorrow...pretty darn exciting indeed to wait and then see and hear them. Would you mind posting some pics? Also, do you plan any break-in period ?
Definitely will do some break in and post some pics.

Aug 17, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #470 of 1,144
Thanks for that I’ve never heard of that place modding an lcd 5. The atrium sounds a bit dark slightly muddied up but I think electric guitars and stuff sound nice on it. Lcd 5 sounds clear but guitars seem to be lacking. Not sure how to explain that. Guess I was kind of hoping for maybe a brighter sounding dynamic with more clarity and I’d be okay with less bass.
I think you should order the XTC each phone you have will produce a different sound signature. If you're getting "muddled" sound from the Atrium, I suggest checking your source and changing the pads, try the Caldera completely perforated leather pads, as it is a very good headphone. I had to change tubes in my amp to get the glorious music they are capable of producing. The source is important when making judgements on headphones. The XTC has a very extended top end, John will adjust to your taste, mids are beautifully layered and the bass is delivered without muddying the mids.

Aug 17, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #471 of 1,144
I think you should order the XTC each phone you have will produce a different sound signature. If you're getting "muddled" sound from the Atrium, I suggest checking your source and changing the pads, try the Caldera completely perforated leather pads, as it is a very good headphone. I had to change tubes in my amp to get the glorious music they are capable of producing. The source is important when making judgements on headphones. The XTC has a very extended top end, John will adjust to your taste, mids are beautifully layered and the bass is delivered without muddying the mids.
Maybe muddied up isn’t the best term. I think there’s just a bit of clarity missing and I went with the iha6 amp from zachs recommendation and it’s pretty good for me. I did actually try the caldera ultra perf pads but i have the be2 lamb back on now. The caldera pads are very comfortable though. Not a huge difference but I thought the mids weren’t as forward with caldera pads. I went with the lcd 5 because everyone says they’re very analytical I figured the sound would be sharp. I read someone say that they are too soft sounding and not enough bite and that’s my issue with them.

Aug 17, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #472 of 1,144
Maybe muddied up isn’t the best term. I think there’s just a bit of clarity missing and I went with the iha6 amp from zachs recommendation and it’s pretty good for me. I did actually try the caldera ultra perf pads but i have the be2 lamb back on now. The caldera pads are very comfortable though. Not a huge difference but I thought the mids weren’t as forward with caldera pads. I went with the lcd 5 because everyone says they’re very analytical I figured the sound would be sharp. I read someone say that they are too soft sounding and not enough bite and that’s my issue with them.
Just curious did you try the 4’s which I like better. It will be interesting if you order the XTC 2.5 which I am ordering shortlly. JM is very proud of them and he believes they are his best.

Aug 17, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #473 of 1,144
Just curious did you try the 4’s which I like better. It will be interesting if you order the XTC 2.5 which I am ordering shortlly. JM is very proud of them and he believes they are his best.
I only tried the 5s. It was between them and focal utopia 2020. Would have bought the utopia if not for focals reputation and the clipping reported by users.

Aug 19, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #474 of 1,144
Well I’m officially a member of this thread and very excited to be here. I’ve been harassing John for a month or so (asking him questions) and finally sold some gear to buy the euforia 2.5s! I have hifiman hek stealths and sendy peacocks as my main open backs and needed a bloody good pair of closeds too. Let the process begin!!!!

Aug 19, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #475 of 1,144
Well I’m officially a member of this thread and very excited to be here. I’ve been harassing John for a month or so (asking him questions) and finally sold some gear to buy the euforia 2.5s! I have hifiman hek stealths and sendy peacocks as my main open backs and needed a bloody good pair of closeds too. Let the process begin!!!!
What music do you listen to Sendy Peacocks with? I’ve actually been looking at a decent set of planars and am curious how they do with metal, deathcore and that type of music

Aug 19, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #476 of 1,144
I’m currently in that process of harassing him too lol. I said once he has time I’ll have him help him walk me through ordering the 2.5 xtc open. Look forward to hearing impressions I no longer have a closed back.

Aug 19, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #477 of 1,144
What music do you listen to Sendy Peacocks with? I’ve actually been looking at a decent set of planars and am curious how they do with metal, deathcore and that type of music
I listen to 50% hard rock and classic rock, 49% metal (all genres and sub genres) and 1% classical. Sendys are fantastic all rounders and look amazing and are comfy as hell for their size. They struggle a bit keeping up with speed metal, and that’s why I got the hek stealths. I didn’t try side by side, but I did try ZMF auteur classics. I would equate the peacocks with the auteurs. But they are awesome with rock imo and I’ll never get rid of them.

Aug 19, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #478 of 1,144
I’m currently in that process of harassing him too lol. I said once he has time I’ll have him help him walk me through ordering the 2.5 xtc open. Look forward to hearing impressions I no longer have a closed back.
The euphorias are most definitely worth it!! I’m the first owner and they are far and away the best headphones I’ve had in literally every way; the soundstage is the biggest I’ve heard in a headphone, but I have not listened to the 800s before so I wouldn’t know ab that, the imaging and instrument separation is so pristine and precise these are amazing for gaming and the dynamics are out of this world, I’m not sure how it stacks up to the 1266 or the utopia but it kills everything else I’ve heard in dynamics, and the timbre of the headphones makes everything thing sound so realistic; from music, to movies, to games, it sounds like you are there experiencing all of it, not just listening, experiencing. This headphone and everything about it just makes everything you listen to an “experience”, if you got the money and want them I’d say buy them over anything else within this price range, and honestly up to like 3.5k nothing in my eyes cheaper than that would be better than this headphone, at best it would be close to the euphoria. Also for reference my previous headphones are the hd600 and 650, Audeze Maxwell, ksc75x, ether cx, px7, AirPod max, Beyerdynamic 900 prox, and nectar ambrosia.

Aug 19, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #479 of 1,144
The euphorias are most definitely worth it!! I’m the first owner and they are far and away the best headphones I’ve had in literally every way; the soundstage is the biggest I’ve heard in a headphone, but I have not listened to the 800s before so I wouldn’t know ab that, the imaging and instrument separation is so pristine and precise these are amazing for gaming and the dynamics are out of this world, I’m not sure how it stacks up to the 1266 or the utopia but it kills everything else I’ve heard in dynamics, and the timbre of the headphones makes everything thing sound so realistic; from music, to movies, to games, it sounds like you are there experiencing all of it, not just listening, experiencing. This headphone and everything about it just makes everything you listen to an “experience”, if you got the money and want them I’d say buy them over anything else within this price range, and honestly up to like 3.5k nothing in my eyes cheaper than that would be better than this headphone, at best it would be close to the euphoria. Also for reference my previous headphones are the hd600 and 650, Audeze Maxwell, ksc75x, ether cx, px7, AirPod max, Beyerdynamic 900 prox, and nectar ambrosia.
I’m looking for a headphone that’ll be fairly sharp sounding. I want the scalpel tuning and the ear pads with the holes cut out. Probably something most would find fatiguing. I’m leaning towards that setup.

Aug 19, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #480 of 1,144
I posted a review of the XTC. I'm really enjoying it. Great headphones. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/jmaudio-xtc-open-back-audiophile-headphones.26248/reviews

1692492684901.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back