JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Aug 11, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #437 of 1,238
Yeah although the dekoni are only perforated inside the pads
Not tried any kennerton, i did try my ZMF pads but were to big. If the kennertons are about 100mm you might as well give them a try, think the dekonis were around 102mm according to there website.

Aug 11, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #438 of 1,238
Update on my earpad choice for the XTC open, had the fuzzy on, nice but felt something missing, so i took them off, ordered some Dekoni Beyerdynamic hybrid perforated pads since i could get them in th U.K. I have to say in my opinion you get a bigger soundstage, the clarity and resolution goes up a wee notch with better detail. Don't think i lose much on the bass front, i actually like better.

Read a review by Eugene2 and have to agree with him on the pads, although he used JM Audio premium pads
I am curious did you cutout the fuzzy? It's pretty amazing if you haven't tried it
IMG_4352.jpeg

Perforated? You mean those at the bottom??
I really want to try those perforated on the bottom. Those look great. I haven't been able to find that option clearly on the site.

Aug 11, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #440 of 1,238
With my XTC open I love my perforated luxury pads, I have open with warm but detailed sound
I went from the perforated to the fluffy open and back to perforated. Fuzzys were great but it was less smooth imo compared to the perforated ones.

Aug 12, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #443 of 1,238
I think that one on the left in the picture is the velor? I got a velor with both my XTC. The perforated one is a custom option, which I got a custom option with both of my orders too. I really like the velor it's similar in a way to the fuzzy to me. I also opted to get lambskin, it's the most comfortable but I like velor/fuzzy sound better.

Pads are a nice way to tune things like tubes and headphone cables and will work different for every setup and person. I've been really enjoying the tuning world I didn't know existed before. It is very practical. I like warm colored full tones. It's the only way pianos sound real and vocals sound amazing like this as well. Biowool does better with a more detailed tube in the balance and OCCC copper cable but my Beryl I like it a bit smoothed out and the Litz OC cable they even out in the middle this way and it can be surprising how much tuning can be done this way. I can hear flaws up to 50 percent more in recording just swapping those 2 cables with the beryl. My other mogami ect. cables sound bad compared to these two cables I like both very much. Both are smooth detailed and musical cables OCCC copper all the more.

I can also get my biowool detailed and beryl very detailed to the same level of detail if I so desire. To even out the detail on my mojo 2 upper treble shelf 3-4 DB up and 2-3 on 16k puts them also about the same which shows there is a substantial difference between the two. Also I can get them just as evened out as the mojo 2 EQ by other means if I wish using OCCC copper is def a solid couple of notches of detail vs OC copper, differences between decent tubes are a few notches of detail as well (bad tubes reduce more detail). Cutout pad is also couple notches about some things sparkle ect ect. It's all about that non fatiguing balance and how much I want to smooth over recordings. The audio chain gives alot of options.

Aug 12, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #445 of 1,238
Aug 12, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #447 of 1,238
Alright, so what parts are best to cut?
take pads off cups, turn upside down, cut an oval leaving about a half inch to inch around the oval so that sound can penetrate but the remaining fabric creates a good seal- I will make a instruction video

I hope these pictures help

IMG_3070.jpeg

IMG_3071.jpeg

IMG_3072.jpeg

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #450 of 1,238
This looks interesting!
Just had my order sent...missed it by two days...!
But John was so nice to offer me to precut my fluffy to me. I look forward testing the different pads and cables.
Comparing the options is it not part of the fun of this hobby?
So far, A1 experience with John ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back