JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Aug 14, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #452 of 1,144
Well just ordered the ampsandsound Bigger Ben. I am definitely excited to see how it sounds with both my XTC open and closed!

Aug 14, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #453 of 1,144
Well just ordered the ampsandsound Bigger Ben. I am definitely excited to see how it sounds with both my XTC open and closed!
Nice, big and lush!

Aug 14, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #454 of 1,144
Tuning is about dead on for my listening preference with the angled leather pads with perforations on the inside and the oval ear hole.

PXL_20230815_031648015.jpg

What other pads (brands, etc) has everyone tried? I have some round pads that are leather with a microfiber type material on the face that I would trade if anyone has any all leather / sheepskin / pleather / etc pads they want to trade. These are new and were sent by John, I just can't deal with anything other than slick vinyl / leather type materials against my skin (yeah I'm weird, I know).

Aug 15, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #455 of 1,144
Tuning is about dead on for my listening preference with the angled leather pads with perforations on the inside and the oval ear hole.

PXL_20230815_031648015.jpg

What other pads (brands, etc) has everyone tried? I have some round pads that are leather with a microfiber type material on the face that I would trade if anyone has any all leather / sheepskin / pleather / etc pads they want to trade. These are new and were sent by John, I just can't deal with anything other than slick vinyl / leather type materials against my skin (yeah I'm weird, I know).
Not tried any other pads, but my first choice would be to give some ZMF pads a try, probably the ones for beyerdynamic since they seem the right size.
That's what I was going to get first but didn't want to wait.
Think ZMF make nice pads

Aug 15, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #456 of 1,144
Kennerton pads should fit - Gjallarhorn / Magni size. I have several of them in different styles I plan to try oncc I get mine. I have an XTC open here on loan - much appreciated! Spent some time with them last night, and thus far, incredibly impressed 👍

Aug 15, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #457 of 1,144
Nice, big and lush!
I received the Ampsandsound Kenzie Ovation 2 about a month ago and it is buttery smooth. It is a perfect pairing with the the "scalpel" or "near scalpel" tuning. I have an XTC Closed but just put an order in for the new XTC2 open model.

Aug 16, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #458 of 1,144
speaking of pads....

are there any tricks to put new ones on? its kinda tedious for me to try to get the little sliver of leather/fabric inside the groove they sit in.

I’m trying out the non-perforated leather pads against the perforated that came with my closed 1.5 and I’m not hearing much difference in bass, but the non perforated seem to have more openness and detail (to me anyways)

Aug 16, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #459 of 1,144
speaking of pads....

are there any tricks to put new ones on? its kinda tedious for me to try to get the little sliver of leather/fabric inside the groove they sit in.

I’m trying out the non-perforated leather pads against the perforated that came with my closed 1.5 and I’m not hearing much difference in bass, but the non perforated seem to have more openness and detail (to me anyways)

Aug 16, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #460 of 1,144
Aug 16, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #462 of 1,144
My XTC came intoday. Very impressed. Great unboxing experience, and a very cozy headphone. I'm super happy with them so far! They defiantly pass the eye candy, unboxing, and build quality tests. Wow!

Aug 16, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #463 of 1,144
I was wondering if anyone has scalpel tuning and what they think of it. Also if it compares to higher end stuff. I currently have lcd 5 and atrium.
I have the scalpel tuning opens and really like them, but if you have the LCD5 already I would send them in for an upgrade first if you haven't already (not sure how long the current waitlist is though).
https://www.rhythmdevilsaudio.com/headphones/

The XTC does compare with the best headphones out there. Being light, comfortable, and tuned to your liking make them among the best all day headphones. Although again if I had a lcd5 I would probably just get the upgrade mod done first before making any further purchases. If you still want a XTC me and many others will vouch that they are TOTL headphones in their own right.

I am curious though is there something you would like improvements on or don't particularly like about your ZMF Atrium and LCD5?

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #464 of 1,144
I have the scalpel tuning opens and really like them, but if you have the LCD5 already I would send them in for an upgrade first if you haven't already (not sure how long the current waitlist is though).
https://www.rhythmdevilsaudio.com/headphones/

The XTC does compare with the best headphones out there. Being light, comfortable, and tuned to your liking make them among the best all day headphones. Although again if I had a lcd5 I would probably just get the upgrade mod done first before making any further purchases. If you still want a XTC me and many others will vouch that they are TOTL headphones in their own right.

I am curious though is there something you would like improvements on or don't particularly like about your ZMF Atrium and LCD5?
Thanks for that I’ve never heard of that place modding an lcd 5. The atrium sounds a bit dark slightly muddied up but I think electric guitars and stuff sound nice on it. Lcd 5 sounds clear but guitars seem to be lacking. Not sure how to explain that. Guess I was kind of hoping for maybe a brighter sounding dynamic with more clarity and I’d be okay with less bass.

Aug 16, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #465 of 1,144
Thanks for that I’ve never heard of that place modding an lcd 5. The atrium sounds a bit dark slightly muddied up but I think electric guitars and stuff sound nice on it. Lcd 5 sounds clear but guitars seem to be lacking. Not sure how to explain that. Guess I was kind of hoping for maybe a brighter sounding dynamic with more clarity and I’d be okay with less bass.
Well the bass even on the scalpel tuning I have is really nice and plentiful imo. If you've tried different pads on your Atrium already then yes the XTC will probably give you what you are looking for. Just need to provide as much info and detail as possible to John to help him figure out exactly what you want and you should be good. There is the new XTC2 open if you want to try that one since it should have a even bigger sound stage. I suggest watching this video that was posted recently and the interview video from earlier as well if you have time since it should give you a better idea of what you are getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back