JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
Aug 19, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #481 of 1,161
The euphorias are most definitely worth it!! I’m the first owner and they are far and away the best headphones I’ve had in literally every way; the soundstage is the biggest I’ve heard in a headphone, but I have not listened to the 800s before so I wouldn’t know ab that, the imaging and instrument separation is so pristine and precise these are amazing for gaming and the dynamics are out of this world, I’m not sure how it stacks up to the 1266 or the utopia but it kills everything else I’ve heard in dynamics, and the timbre of the headphones makes everything thing sound so realistic; from music, to movies, to games, it sounds like you are there experiencing all of it, not just listening, experiencing. This headphone and everything about it just makes everything you listen to an “experience”, if you got the money and want them I’d say buy them over anything else within this price range, and honestly up to like 3.5k nothing in my eyes cheaper than that would be better than this headphone, at best it would be close to the euphoria. Also for reference my previous headphones are the hd600 and 650, Audeze Maxwell, ksc75x, ether cx, px7, AirPod max, Beyerdynamic 900 prox, and nectar ambrosia.
Are these on the website?

Aug 20, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #484 of 1,161
I own already a xtc open back from john, but because i use my headphones primarily for mixing i asked if he could tune a new set (im from Germany, and sending it back and forth for repair would be just a total mess) to the diffuse field target with a 10db tilt (1 db per octave downwardslope). I chose cherry wood and it’s shipping with a copper xlr cable. So tomorrow is the day it’s going on its route to Germany . I’m excited . I post pics and my impression once I receive them. 🙂
IMG_4406.jpeg

Aug 23, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #485 of 1,161
I own already a xtc open back from john, but because i use my headphones primarily for mixing i asked if he could tune a new set (im from Germany, and sending it back and forth for repair would be just a total mess) to the diffuse field target with a 10db tilt (1 db per octave downwardslope). I chose cherry wood and it’s shipping with a copper xlr cable. So tomorrow is the day it’s going on its route to Germany . I’m excited . I post pics and my impression once I receive them. 🙂 IMG_4406.jpeg
Monday it arrives

Aug 23, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #486 of 1,161
Monday it arrives
John is doing my xtc 2.5s as we speak - bloody excited!!!! He has been great to work with!!!! He puts up with my myriad questions and answers everything as soon as he gets it. Thanks @John Massaria !!!! Much appreciated from a very happy Aussie!!!!

Aug 26, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #487 of 1,161
Last Tuesday I went over to Hi-Fi Buys in Atlanta’s Buckhead section with my XTC to do a little comparison shopping. I am actually looking for the Hifiman He1000se and Arya Organic to listen to. If you’re ever in Atlanta this is a virtual candy store for over ear phones, Dacs and amplifiers. I sat down with Chord TT2 and the Hugo upscaler, next to the Ifi DSD Pro Signature. Headphones I played with Susvara, New Utopia, Meze Elite, Hifiman Organic, focal Stellia. I do know now why some people consider the Susvara the top dog, to me something was missing in the lower frequencies as well as some dynamic punch. The Utopia is much improved in my opinion. Still constricted in soundstage with. They said when I come back I can listen on the DCS Lina rig. You can hear a greater level of refinement on the beryllium driver used in the Utopia compared to the 5x less expensive XTC. It was a closer race then it had any right to be…. The XTC scale very nicel.
i really enjoyed the Stellia and Arya Organic. I did not like the Meze.
Im selling or trading in a lot of my existing equipment to purchase a new rig. Either the new Burson Conductor GT or the Schiit Mjolnir III JM’s 2 new phones and one of the Hifiman phones, we’ll see. I have the XTC and my He 6/EF400 on Audiogon, just because I can’t afford to hold 3 JM’s in my inventory And I’d like to write some more reviews.

Aug 26, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #488 of 1,161
Last Tuesday I went over to Hi-Fi Buys in Atlanta’s Buckhead section with my XTC to do a little comparison shopping. I am actually looking for the Hifiman He1000se and Arya Organic to listen to. If you’re ever in Atlanta this is a virtual candy store for over ear phones, Dacs and amplifiers. I sat down with Chord TT2 and the Hugo upscaler, next to the Ifi DSD Pro Signature. Headphones I played with Susvara, New Utopia, Meze Elite, Hifiman Organic, focal Stellia. I do know now why some people consider the Susvara the top dog, to me something was missing in the lower frequencies as well as some dynamic punch. The Utopia is much improved in my opinion. Still constricted in soundstage with. They said when I come back I can listen on the DCS Lina rig. You can hear a greater level of refinement on the beryllium driver used in the Utopia compared to the 5x less expensive XTC. It was a closer race then it had any right to be…. The XTC scale very nicel.
Im selling or trading in a lot of my existing equipment to purchase a new rig. Either the new Burson Conductor GT or the Schiit Mjolnir III JM’s 2 new phones and one of the Hifiman phones, we’ll see. I have the XTC and my He 6/EF400 on Audiogon, just because I can’t afford to hold 3 JM’s in my inventory And I’d like to write some more reviews.

Man, I remember the days when there were Hi-Fi Buys locations all over Atlanta! Had a few SQ car systems done by them, and attended many of their car audio comps back in the mid 90's.

Aug 27, 2023 at 12:20 AM Post #489 of 1,161
It is funny how everyone’s tastes, and ears are different. I listened to all those plus the Audeze offerings last week at a dealer as well. I think the Stellia is not close to a TOTL headphone and I thought the Elite was the best of the bunch. LOL. I liked it so much I bought the fancy Epoque version of it LOL.

Aug 27, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #490 of 1,161
It is funny how everyone’s tastes, and ears are different. I listened to all those plus the Audeze offerings last week at a dealer as well. I think the Stellia is not close to a TOTL headphone and I thought the Elite was the best of the bunch. LOL. I liked it so much I bought the fancy Epoque version of it LOL.
I didn’t say they were totl said I”liked” them on short listen. I did not like the tonality of Elites sorry😀👊🏽

Aug 27, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #491 of 1,161
I didn’t say they were totl said I”liked” them on short listen. I did not like the tonality of Elites sorry😀👊🏽
I was just stating that what we hear can be radically different. No insult was insinuated so I hope you didn't take it that way.

Aug 27, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #492 of 1,161
Yeah, I also seem to have eclectic tastes when it comes to tonality. I absolutely love, love, headphones with zing--speed, detail, transparency even if the bass is largely lacking like on my RAAL SR-1b driven by my Benchmark HPA4. I am not as much of a fan of what I call bass-prominent phones that are so prevalent these days although the bass of the XTC-Closed is welcome on certain recordings. A friend who heard my SR-1b detested their sound and loved my XTC-Closed. Well, I love the XTC-C myself so no surprise there. Anyway, who was it who said there is no arguing in matters of taste?

Aug 27, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #493 of 1,161
Yeah, I also seem to have eclectic tastes when it comes to tonality. I absolutely love, love, headphones with zing--speed, detail, transparency even if the bass is largely lacking like on my RAAL SR-1b driven by my Benchmark HPA4. I am not as much of a fan of what I call bass-prominent phones that are so prevalent these days although the bass of the XTC-Closed is welcome on certain recordings. A friend who heard my SR-1b detested their sound and loved my XTC-Closed. Well, I love the XTC-C myself so no surprise there. Anyway, who was it who said there is no arguing in matters of taste?
Cannot wait for my xtc closeds-John has shipped them!!!!

Aug 28, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #494 of 1,161
I own already a xtc open back from john, but because i use my headphones primarily for mixing i asked if he could tune a new set (im from Germany, and sending it back and forth for repair would be just a total mess) to the diffuse field target with a 10db tilt (1 db per octave downwardslope). I chose cherry wood and it’s shipping with a copper xlr cable. So tomorrow is the day it’s going on its route to Germany . I’m excited . I post pics and my impression once I receive them. 🙂 IMG_4406.jpeg
I just received these headphones. Have now a quick test with them. As you read probably already above its uniquely tuned. What I instantly noticed was that the details enforce themselves somehow better, might be the reason that the bass is lowered. Other than that insanely clear more than the warm tuning, it’s easier to listen to, these need imo some time to burn in to truly shine ✨

Attachments

• IMG_4591.jpeg
    IMG_4591.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4592.jpeg
    IMG_4592.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4593.jpeg
    IMG_4593.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Aug 28, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #495 of 1,161
This is so true.

Individual human hearing and how a system is tuned around a headphone can make all the difference. Headphones can need alot of TLC and tweaking to get everything out of them especially something like a Susvara. I would prefer a headphone on a certain rig but absolutely not on the next which can make false senses of advantage or that a headphone is bad too.

I've played piano my whole life and I have been tested with perfect pitch multiple times. Piano is very hard to record and takes some incredible stuff to sound right. My 'reference' Focal Clears are the equivalent of eating plastic when you ordered pizza compared to these here and I LOVED these things. I have never heard piano sound correct until the XTC. It is just like wow finally. I can't believe how fake piano sounds in 90 percent plus of recordings and I had just accepted that as normal until the XTC. I would not be surprised if the beryl XTC was the most precise upper mid bass headphone in existence. I have just began testing the biowool on my new system and WOW it shines on there too. I did an all out double take yesterday when I swapped to the biowool. It is so intense, mind warping layers for your brain to re-register vs the Beryl and to AB. I2s cable + purifier with cable + nice tube wow wow wow. These headphones scaling is just unreal. I just want to AB Susvara on a perfectly tweaked system and see if it can make pianos sound like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back