JKenny Audio Ciúnas DAC and Ciúnas SPDIF
Aug 16, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #436 of 598
So far I'm pretty impressed with the Ciunas DAC.  So much so I'm also thinking about the Ciunas Converter..  

Has there been any comparisons with the Ciunas Converter and others like the Alpha USB or the AP2 and converters like that...

Also, how does the Ciunas converter differ from the MK3 JKSPDIF converter?

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #437 of 598
Now based on the Amanero board which is a purpose specific.  Other than that... no idea.

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #438 of 598
Now based on the Amanero board which is a purpose specific.  Other than that... no idea.

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #439 of 598
Totally different USB chip:
- Amanerro: 32/384 support; UAC2 compliant -> Ciunas
- Hiface 1: 24/192 support; requires proprietary drivers for all OS -> JKSPDIF.

Did you do some burn-in on it already? It does open up a good bit on the first few hours.

Remember my comment about it sounding warm like the NFB-27 (first impression)? It's no longer the case now.
It's pretty much akin to the U3 + Quad now.

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #440 of 598
Quote:
Totally different USB chip:
- Amanerro: 32/384 support; UAC2 compliant -> Ciunas
- Hiface 1: 24/192 support; requires proprietary drivers for all OS -> JKSPDIF.

Did you do some burn-in on it already? It does open up a good bit on the first few hours.

Remember my comment about it sounding warm like the NFB-27 (first impression)? It's no longer the case now.
It's pretty much akin to the U3 + Quad now.

Letting it play with music now while i'm at work..  I have no solid impressions on it yet.  Sometime next week most likely.

So does that 32/384 mean it can play DOP / DxD files at that bit depth and sample rate?  Not interested in DSD at all - just asking.

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #441 of 598
Quote:

Letting it play with music now while i'm at work..  I have no solid impressions on it yet.  Sometime next week most likely.

So does that 32/384 mean it can play DOP / DxD files at that bit depth and sample rate?  Not interested in DSD at all - just asking.

While I never read J.Kenny state it could do DSD or DxD on the website, the Amanero USB board does sopport DSD up to DSD512.

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #445 of 598
Quote:

I'd hesitate to take that as gospel,  you might also want to read a critique of that "paper" at ProSoundWeb -http://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,13518.0/wap2.html

I agree the problem with the paper is that it has too many assumptions, signal propagation velocity differs between cables, and signal risetime also varies between equipment.  If a SPDIF converter manufacturer wants to design a cable to go with their transport then fine, but other than that I don't think the advice in that paper is all that useful.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #446 of 598
Why not just use some shield Mogami wire and diy one a USB cable?

From all that has been said, the Jkeny MKIII is not in the same league as the Ciunas converter.  The Ciunas DAC is an i2S using his converter (I believe) so there would be no point in buying another converter for the all in one dac...in fact, if anything, a properly done I2S device should sound much superior than separate components.  It's short leads, direct, and no reason that dual "proper" implementations of both the dac and converter would not lend to much superior results than the same dac only+the converter.  This said, I know many components are excellent as dacs, but terrible for converters, or that some that are excellent at dual roles often require the use of say some specific interface that may not be your choice or even possible to use.

Point in case, especially with Jkeny's stuff, is his all in one dac+converter is an excellently done I2S device that if one does not have a given dac of choice, makes for a great dac/converter in one.  If one has a better dac, one should be looking at the Ciunas and a number of others on the market that work best as a converter for the dac.  The absolute best solution, again, would be to take your favorite dac, and your favorite converter, I2S them, and enjoy:wink:.  OR, if you had an amp-preamp-dac-converter of choice, knew you were not going to be upgrading for some years or are a good diyer that it doesn't matter how much you fiddle with things, put all of it in one chassis or possibly two with very very short leads between everything combined with proper shielding and so on/so forth so the only thing you have is one lead to the computer and binding posts to your speakers (like the Nad M2 concept but with all your favorite goods in one device unlike the Nad can offer for many users).

Curious but why did one of the more recent posts want to buy a Jkeny dac of past when this new one should handily best it?

Cheers all!

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #447 of 598
Quote:

Curious but why did one of the more recent posts want to buy a Jkeny dac of past when this new one should handily best it?

Cheers all!

$$$. Law of diminishing returns would quickly set in. I haven;t heard JKDAC32, but from all  the reviews I have read, it wasn't a  slouch.

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #448 of 598
Quote:

$$$. Law of diminishing returns would quickly set in. I haven;t heard JKDAC32, but from all  the reviews I have read, it wasn't a  slouch.

True.  But the point is that they are so cheap, that even on the used market, the price differential is not going to be much.  Now if his stuff sold for $5K and his last one could be had for $2K used, it's a no brainer unless he did something miraculous for improvements to the latest version.  But say this new one is $800, and last one is going for $500...I'd pay $300 more if it's a darn solid step up.

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #450 of 598
Got the Ciunas DAC hooked up to the GS-X mk2 with the LCD-3s ..   Pretty Good 
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back