JHaudio Universal IEMs?
Mar 22, 2012 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

jhelsas

100+ Head-Fier
After reading a bit about JHaudio and Jerry Harvey, I was thinking: Would they be interested in doing some Universal Fit In-ears, istead of solely custom fit?

Would anyone (else) here be interested in something like this?

JH5 pro is by US$ 400 at their site, so, I think, maybe they could start by something about the same price-range, right?

This is a free topic, I was thinking about this other day and wanted to discuss with someone.

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 28
I faintly remember someone mentioning that Jerry Harvey is working on a universal iem. No idea as to when they should be expected to be in the market, but I would be interested in listening to them.

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 28
Universal then get it reshelled into a custom lol.

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 28

Quote:
I faintly remember someone mentioning that Jerry Harvey is working on a universal iem. No idea as to when they should be expected to be in the market, but I would be interested in listening to them.

If he is doing it... :D

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #5 of 28
That would be very interesting indeed :D
How about 8 drivers per ears like JH16 
atsmile.gif

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #6 of 28
With so many good universal IEM options out there, does the world need another "me-too" product?   Face it, there is only so much that can be done with BA's within the confines of an IEM.  Plus, the sources of high quality internal components and cables/connecters are common to all "manufacturers", at least those who still care about quality.  JH has a great niche with big ticket, custom products.  Why dumpster dive into a lower price category? Especially when the third world, knock-off parasites are chasing the same universal IEM dollar.

Mar 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #8 of 28

Quote:
With so many good universal IEM options out there, does the world need another "me-too" product?   Face it, there is only so much that can be done with BA's within the confines of an IEM.  Plus, the sources of high quality internal components and cables/connecters are common to all "manufacturers", at least those who still care about quality.  JH has a great niche with big ticket, custom products.  Why dumpster dive into a lower price category? Especially when the third world, knock-off parasites are chasing the same universal IEM dollar.

Why would a JH Universal be any more a "me too" product than yet another Custom? There is always room for another well designed IEM of any stripe (Custom or Universal). No dumpster diving necessary either, as it stands, if you want a truely top tier Universal it will cost you commensurate to a top Custom, circa 1k$ and up.

I think there is an underlying fallacy here, that Customs are somehow "serious" and have large, insurmountable sonic advantages over "dumpster diving" Universals. The reason Customs exist is not necessarily SQ, but isolation (both in and out, the Talent where I work use them so their mic's won't pick up director cues). I suspect a well-designed Universal can be entirely competitive with a well-designed Custom (assuming that the listener can get a proper insertion with that particular Universal), as the AKG 3003 suggests.

I also suspect that the reason most SQ inclined IEM manufacturers tend to produce Customs is the perception that a Custom SHOULD cost significantly more than a Universal, making it easier to get the price that research, quality components and careful hand-building by a small perfectionist company deserve. Personally, I see no reason a, say, Universal JH-13 (assuming there are no technical reasons why that could not be done) would be much cheaper than a Custom version. I also suspect it would be in the top tier of available Universals, given JH Audio's expertise.

Kevin

Mar 23, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #10 of 28
Definitely do-able, as obviously demo JH products exist for retailers to let potential customers listen before purchasing. I don't think that universals will be as good as the custom equivalent though because when I demoed the JH13 and JH16 customs they didn't sound like their full potential was being utilized.

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #11 of 28

Quote:

It's a monetary source for JH.  Remember, JH is a business, and if they can get more business, why not?  As for BAs being at their best, I think the technology is just starting to shine and will continue to do so.  Looking at an IEM like the Phonak PFE 232 that is up there with the Westone 4, it really makes me wonder what would happen if someone actually tuned 4 drivers to their fullest today. 

So why would you want to dumpster dive into a lower price category?  Money, it's a source of money, face it, the general public doesn't want to pay 400+impressions for good headphones.  Many don't want to go through the process of getting impressions done.  I understand that JH makes professional products for professional use, so does UE and Westone.  Are you saying both of these companies dumpster dove into the lower price category?  Of course not, they found another audience they could sell to.  This would be a good move for JH if implemented correctly.

Regarding knock offs, you speak like every IEM ever made is knocked off.  Only the really popular ones get knocked off.  I've never heard of a knock off Westone or knock off Shure. 

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #12 of 28

Quote:
It's a monetary source for JH.  Remember, JH is a business, and if they can get more business, why not?  As for BAs being at their best, I think the technology is just starting to shine and will continue to do so.  Looking at an IEM like the Phonak PFE 232 that is up there with the Westone 4, it really makes me wonder what would happen if someone actually tuned 4 drivers to their fullest today. 

So why would you want to dumpster dive into a lower price category?  Money, it's a source of money, face it, the general public doesn't want to pay 400+impressions for good headphones.  Many don't want to go through the process of getting impressions done.  I understand that JH makes professional products for professional use, so does UE and Westone.  Are you saying both of these companies dumpster dove into the lower price category?  Of course not, they found another audience they could sell to.  This would be a good move for JH if implemented correctly.

Regarding knock offs, you speak like every IEM ever made is knocked off.  Only the really popular ones get knocked off.  I've never heard of a knock off Westone or knock off Shure. 

One adendum. General public not always have the chance to find somewhere to make good ear impressions. An universal IEM with comparable SQ I think would surely be a very atractive option for many people who don't have the time or the means(=/= money, you can have the money and don't have any decent place to do an ear impression) to make a custom, at least this is my personal opinion.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #13 of 28

Quote:

IMHO, the PFE 23 is even better than W4. I've never heard of fake Shures or Westones either. Definitely only the famous and widely used ones only. :)

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #14 of 28

Quote:
IMHO, the PFE 23 is even better than W4. I've never heard of fake Shures or Westones either. Definitely only the famous and widely used ones only. :)

I do see why the PFE232 is preferred over the W4.  However, I do find them at the same level (sound quality wise), however, the W4s are more technical to my ears than the 232s.  My sound preference still leans towards the 232s over the W4s.

Mar 25, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #15 of 28

Quote:
I do see why the PFE232 is preferred over the W4.  However, I do find them at the same level (sound quality wise), however, the W4s are more technical to my ears than the 232s.  My sound preference still leans towards the 232s over the W4s.

Hmm... Simply because I think the 232 is more balanced I guess? W4 seems very bright/flat IMO. I like the 4, just that after listening too much to SM3, my taste changed a bit. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back