JH5 vs SE535 vs UM3X
Sep 8, 2010 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

hapyhar0ld

Head-Fier
So here's the story. After a couple of years of listening to my Shure Se530 I left them on my return flight from NYC back to Seattle (some lucky SOB probably found them). With that said I need a new pair of IEMs. I do love how the 530s sounded but since I'm getting a new pair I figure I'd get something a little different.

I'd like something similar to the 530s but something that has more "air" between the instruments, less treble rolloff and more bass impact. Not more bass, just something that isn't as "soft".

I'm now looking at the SE535, the JH5 and the UM3X.  How do these compare?

Sep 9, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 12
There are plenty of threads on the Se530 vs UM3X, but not much on the JH5.  Bump?

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 12
I haven't heard any JH IEMs for the obvious reason that they are customs, but between the UM3x and SE535s, I prefer the SE535s by a good margin.

Better sound stage, and the mids are still the best!

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
Have you considered a pair of Earsonics SM3s? They might or might not be what you want.

They are great IEMs for sure...but I wouldn't necessarily classify them as balanced like the SE535s and UM3x.

Sep 10, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I haven't heard any JH IEMs for the obvious reason that they are customs, but between the UM3x and SE535s, I prefer the SE535s by a good margin.

Better sound stage, and the mids are still the best!

That is what my thoughts are too.  Not many people have heard them since they either go for the JH13/JH16 or they don't go custom at all.  I spoke with JH today and gave them my CC as a deposit and a little bit for the shipping.  They're shipping me their demo pair of JH5 before I make the plunge.  Hopefully, that will clarify this for me.

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #7 of 12
I'm very familiar with the 530 and I like it overall as you did.. Heard the 535 and JH5 in close progression with the same known source (wav files on a touch down converted from better than CD sources) at CanJam. JH5 would be my choice. I don't think they go lower than the Shure but the bass character was excellent. They were very clean without being analytical. Mids were seemless which surprised for a 2 way. I don't want to call them midcentric because they're flatter than that but they had that nice color you get from that type of IEM. Highs were pristine and sounded fully extended but smooth and not artificially sparkley in any way. Compared to a JH 13 which were my fav of the line, they weren't as dry/fast but they are freindlier without anything lacking or other abberations and less fur in the mix than others I've heard in this price range. Perhaps the Shure has more air but it's difficult to know if its just more fuzz around a note as the JH5 didn't lack for harmonics or space. It clearly sounded cleaner yet as I said, anything but cold. This was from auditioning with stiff universal foam that I jammed uncomfortably deep so they're probably even better. This was from only a minute or 2 with each so grain of salt but I use my ears for evaluation most every day and would buy the JH5 myself if I was currently looking in that range. Heard the 16 also but a few seconds of too much bottom told me the 13s were more correct. On stage, too much bottom is the right amount but otherwise just for bass heads.

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 12
Having owned the UM3x SM3 and 535s I personally preferred the 535s.

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #10 of 12
Thank you for your responses!  The demos should be here and Tuesday, but it sounds like I'll be ordering a pair of JH5.  I got my ear impressions yesterday and they turned out really good.  I'm hoping I won't have to resend them for a refit.

Sep 18, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
Thank you for your responses!  The demos should be here and Tuesday, but it sounds like I'll be ordering a pair of JH5.  I got my ear impressions yesterday and they turned out really good.  I'm hoping I won't have to resend them for a refit.

Hey did u ever get to hear the demos? I'm considering these phones and wanted to hear some thoughts about how they sound.

Oct 1, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #12 of 12
Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread to answer your question.  I did hear the demos and after shoving them into my head as hard as I could to create the best seal I could, I liked it enough to make the plunge.

I just got my JH5 yesterday and I will say they are super cool.  First pair of custom IEMs and I'm pretty stoked.  After listening to them, I will say that they are as different as the Shures as you can get.  The Shures are extremely smooth and liquid with a strong forward midrange presentation.  The JH5 are airier in the treble region with punchier bass.  I think the Shures have more bass quantity, but the JH5 have more bass impact.  Where the Shures have an emphasis on the midbass, I feel that the JH5 are more balanced with a touch of warmth.

Unfortunately, the left monitor ended up hurting my ear after an hour of listening, so they look like they'll have to be sent back to JH to be remolded.  I thought I was going to be different than everyone else, but no such luck.

Lastly, the famous JH customer service.  When I first contacted JH Audio regarding their sound signature I was emailed back by Jerry himself to tell me the difference of the line up within several hours.  Still on the fence they offered to ship me a pair of demos (on my dime) before I made the purchase.  Very impressed!  Then when I made my order I was going to also order a pair of their musician plugs as I am a shooter and would love to also have a pair of custom made ear plugs.  However, they were initially $50, but when I went to order they were $100.  I called Brittany to ask about the price difference and to this day have not heard back yet. 

EDIT: I shipped out my headphones on 10/6 via priority mail and they are now returning them back to me 10/8.  They basically took care of it the same day the got the package.  I included an extremely in depth description of what was happening with the headphones, so I will update this post the second I get them.

EDIT 2: Well just got them back in the mail.  They were nice enough to ship it back to me via 3 day select via UPS.  I popped them in and they are much better than before.  Perfect?  No, but pretty darn close to the point where if they messed with it, I think it would get worse than better.  So bottom line.  I have no regrets and no buyers remorse, they look and sound fantastic.  So if you're on the fence.  Just buy them.  Other than getting customs to fit being a pain in the neck it is worth it at the end. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back