JH16Pro's and sweat
Jun 30, 2010 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

laxmictr895

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I plan on ordering the JH16pro and the only thing that's keeping me is the issue of sweat. I plan on wearing them during my workout/cardio sessions and I tend to sweat a decent amount. 

Have you guys had any problems with your JH pro's getting affected by sweat/humidity. Whether it be the cables cracking, or problems with the buds themselves. Any and all input is appreciated!

Thanks

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 20
I don't think they would have a problem to be honest. I mean touring artists use them during shows, and they sweat. Just don't pull them a lot otherwise you will have cable issues. But, I do not own a pair, this is just my assumption, wait for someone to confirm it. Good luck!

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 20
I've been using the 13's for the past year (same cord, same enclosure, just different amount of drivers) and while I didn't use them for exercise per se, (1000$ is too much for an exercise headphone for me -- although I'm looking into a JH5 for exercise,) I did get them wet at a variety of levels, (the most being walking in an occasional drizzle) and while the actual headphones weren't damaged (as long as they're in your ear while they get wet,) but the cord is a different story.  First, if its the clear cord, it turns a sickening statue of liberty-ish green, but without the benefit of patriotic nostalgia and austerity to augment its appearance.  And if they continue to get wet -- well, my first cord stopped working in one ear as a result, and the cord isn't covered under their warranty.  If you're okay with shelling out 32$ a couple times, you're okay.  Although I would add a warning:  These headphones are very effective at noise cancelling, which is awesome in most respects.  But if you plan on wearing these outdoors while jogging, in any area with a decent amount of cars -- proceed with caution, as you are a deaf man walking. 

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 20
Any kind of liquid--sweat included--can damage the drivers if they get that deep into the bores (sound tubes).  To my understanding , this type of damage is not covered under warranty.  Even if they don't get that far sweating while wearing customs is not the best experience any time you move your jaw and you feel liquid getting trapped between your ear canal wall and the shells.

I just stick with my Shure SE530s and an iPod Shuffle while working out using foam tips to soak up any sweat.  And not to speak of the risk getting it stolen while you are in the shower. 

Jul 1, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #5 of 20
I think the cable turns green bcos of oxidation, not bcos of wetness.

Quote:
....  First, if its the clear cord, it turns a sickening statue of liberty-ish green, but without the benefit of patriotic nostalgia and austerity to augment its appearance.  And if they continue to get wet -- well, my first cord stopped working in one ear as a result, and the cord isn't covered under their warranty. ...

Jul 1, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #7 of 20
I have noticed no issues with swear or a little extra water in the ear canal while using my customs. I have poped them in shortly after taking a shower and using q-tips in my ears and then poped them out an hour later and there is some left over moisture but no issues with sound.

I have even worn mine when it's been raining, although I did have my hoodie on.

You could always give them a good wipe down after a workout then put them in a container of  (dry uncooked) rice overnight.

Jul 2, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #9 of 20
Personal experience is that IEM balanced amateur are very resistive to moisture like standard drivers. I job with my IEMs and even accidentally washed them. No issue with sound quality. Do note the area tat will get damage is the wire contact point and the cable itself. The damage is due to the salt in your sweat and oxidisation. Its usually just cosmetics though.

Jul 20, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
Personal experience is that IEM balanced amateur are very resistive to moisture like standard drivers. I job with my IEMs and even accidentally washed them. No issue with sound quality. Do note the area tat will get damage is the wire contact point and the cable itself. The damage is due to the salt in your sweat and oxidisation. Its usually just cosmetics though.

What type detergent did yo use
etysmile.gif
, you must have the cleanest IEM's on this planet. By the way, my cord on my JH16's at the Y connection has started to turn green, no biggie, it almost matches the color of my IEM's,  black smoke clear,

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 20
  1. Sweat does not affect them unless it gets into the bores so don't take in and out while exercising unless you dry your ear canal before re-inserting.
  2. Always wear a heavy duty thick head band.  It helps immensely.  They can take a few days to dry so use a few and circulate them.
  3. Leave IEM's out after working out to air dry.  Don't tuck away unless only temporarily to get home from the gym.

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #13 of 20
I wear my 13's for 4-5 workouts a week. 4.25 mile run in 30 minutes, 45 minute lift. Heavy athletic workload. I have not had a single problem in a year. I wipe them down after my run while I change shirts and every so often in between sets with a hand/sweat towel I keep with me. They sound better then the day I bought them. Over the years I have worn everything from ibuds to tf10's and nothing is as comfortable or easy as customs. As long as the sweat does not get into the bores, you should be fine. Your ear canels dont sweat, it's after and "leakage" you need to look out for. Also, stick with black cord, the clear will turn green in a week.

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #14 of 20
sweat should not be an issue as I was going to buy JH5s for working out but I already own JH13s. I was told by Jerry that they should be just fine given performers wear them inder stage lights without issue. They are not water proof and you should dry them off after but general sweat should not enter the canals and cause damage during exercise.

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #15 of 20
what ?  I am so disappointed with the noise reduction I achieve with mine !!!  It's interesting to read about your experience, but I thought the general consensus was some noise reduction, but reallly mostly sounds are muffled down (I think that is the word) ....In my experience certainly not a concern for running or anything at all.

Anyhow, no problem whatsoever when running with my JH13.

Quote:
I've been using the 13's for the past year (same cord, same enclosure, just different amount of drivers) and while I didn't use them for exercise per se, (1000$ is too much for an exercise headphone for me -- although I'm looking into a JH5 for exercise,) I did get them wet at a variety of levels, (the most being walking in an occasional drizzle) and while the actual headphones weren't damaged (as long as they're in your ear while they get wet,) but the cord is a different story.  First, if its the clear cord, it turns a sickening statue of liberty-ish green, but without the benefit of patriotic nostalgia and austerity to augment its appearance.  And if they continue to get wet -- well, my first cord stopped working in one ear as a result, and the cord isn't covered under their warranty.  If you're okay with shelling out 32$ a couple times, you're okay.  Although I would add a warning:  These headphones are very effective at noise cancelling, which is awesome in most respects.  But if you plan on wearing these outdoors while jogging, in any area with a decent amount of cars -- proceed with caution, as you are a deaf man walking. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back