JH13 Tunes
Sep 27, 2009 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

SierraHotel01

100+ Head-Fier
"Tunes You Can't Afford to Miss", on your JH13's:

Given the disruptive performance of these little beauties

- their unrivaled speed; which is the sonic equivalent of more pixels in an image

- and, the spooky good sound signature, that Jerry has engineered into the end product

I continually find myself marveling at a this track or that... tracks that, with the JH13's, just reach out & grab you by the throat!

Tracks so well engineered, that they come "alive" on the JH13's

So, I thought I'd try starting a list,
and see if anyone else wants to add to it...

1. Bella Sonus

CD: Enamoured - every single track

- synth keyboards, synth percussion, & Neuvo Flamenco guitar
- jaw dropping sub-bass, lyrical guitar & complex, well engineered percussion
- tight, impactful & highly spatial arrangement
- a reference CD for my ears

2. O.S.I.

CD: Blood

- extremely well engineered, if you like their music
- in their latest CD, Blood - they've really settled into tight, melodious, percussive arrangements
- "subjective-opinion-alert": some of the most unique music & arrangements I've heard, since Pink Floyd in the 70's.

Tracks:

Blood
- synth keyboard (lower register) intro, just "breathes" - you can almost count the cycles, whizzing by
- percussion is stunning, as usual

Radiologue
- hooky melody emerges out of syncopated synth percussion

We Come Undone
- syncopated synth keyboard intro / framework thru song
- catchy vocal hook & great percussion

CD: Free - EP

Track: Kicking (Kevin Moore Remix)
- downtempo, tribal synth percussion, with a great vocal hook

3. Eagles

CD: Long Road Out of Eden

- the most outstandingly engineered Eagles album, ever

Sep 27, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 54
Wow thanks for the recommendation
smily_headphones1.gif
Is there any songs to test its extreme speed? Cos I still cant find a fast enough song haha.

Sep 27, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by behwatch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow thanks for the recommendation
smily_headphones1.gif
Is there any songs to test its extreme speed? Cos I still cant find a fast enough song haha.

Try Buckethead: Big Sur Moon
wink.gif

Sep 27, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 54
Goldfrappe 'Seventh Tree' angelic vocals, deep resonant percussion and synth stabs thick textured rhodes and pads, airy cymbals and looped atmos

Hybrid 'I Choose Noise' (try this one for speed) fantastic deep soundstage/layering, kick ass basslines and arps, edgy male vocal

Massive Attack 'Blue Lines' or any album really
female vocals that reach out and tug at your heart strings, sub-bass and bass lines that well up beneath you, filtered hihats that shimmer and evolve. atmos that transports you

Tricky 'Maxinquaye' deep grooves that get your head bopping, grimey texture that revolts and confuses you, male vocals that take you to the gutter and back, female vocals elevate you to heaven
wink.gif
the production on this album is truly genius IMO, one of those albums that is so cinematic you can picture the stories, both sublime and repugnant

The Crystal Method....anything

Tool 'Aenima' grinding loops and thuds, powerful guitar driven epics, with male vocals that have you on the edge of your seat

Trentmoller 'The Last Resort' simply the most completely amazing electronic album since crystal methods debut IMO from start to finish, this album has as many moods as there are tracks; very high production values and a huge amount of atmosphere
this album hass a couple of sections that bring the JH13 to their knees, but then I have only heard these tracks done well in massive clubs with uber sub-bass. absolutely every headphone I have, on any source or amp fails at one point in this album. there are 2 tiny 1-2 second sections on this album that get them every time.

JET 'Get Born' rock'in and roll'in raw energy, powerful rollicking lead guitar and tight as tight drums. a modern day ACDC, but more melodic, in a grimey kinda way
wink.gif

Ben Harper 'Both Sides Of The Gun' a classic, what can I say. the man wears the torture of his soul on his sleeve and it shows right though on this album. superb slide guitar

I could go on and on, because there just isnt a style of music I have thrown at these things that doesnt have me enthralled. it has me rediscovering my music all over again.

Sep 28, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #7 of 54
I have enjoyed pretty much everything on JH13 but if I were to choose one artist, then it would be:

Porcupine Tree

Especially In Absentia, Lightbulb Sun and Deadwing.

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #8 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try Buckethead: Big Sur Moon
wink.gif

redface.gif
haha thanks, not bad! searching for even faster music.....

@qusp : what is the track that brings jh13 to knees from trentemoller?

Sep 28, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #9 of 54
i'll listen for the exact sections and time stamps for you tonight. the hybrid 'I Choose Noise' album has a couple of iffy moments as well. one thing I forgot to say about this album is the very classical influences, both because they use a lot of symphonic samples, guest appearances and also the composer/producer is classically trained, so the tracks themselves are formulated as such

Sep 28, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #10 of 54
Thanks so much for your time I look forward for the exact spot to trample my jh13 heehee...

The album is sure bassy! My cheap speakers are trashed by the bass. cant catch up on time. JH13 handles it very well though
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #11 of 54
Shpongle (Pretty much any album) but for me it's the compilation album ''The Mystery of the 13 Crystal Skulls'' and the track ''The 6th Revelation'' oh man this just does it for me...... it's a legal trip!!

Sep 28, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #12 of 54
god yes!! shpongle sound mindblowing on JH13!!! I have found myself listening to them much more regularly than usual.

in fact shpongle 'tales of the inexpressible' was the reference album I used testing outboard dacs (fullsize) and amps at the last sydney meet with JH13. superb!!

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #13 of 54
I'm a big fan of almost anything Simon Posford does. the 2 Younger Brother albums also shine on the JH13's due to his mint production. The one album you have to listen to if you haven't is Hallucinogen 'Live' Not just fantastic production and programming but the live instruments and percussion make you feel like you are there.

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #14 of 54
hehe I have been listening to hallucinogen for more years than I care to admit. I also love 'nothing lasts but nothing is lost' by shpongle. both of those have there particular charms and yes they all shine on Jh13.

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #15 of 54
This was a thread I was about to start. But, I wish I heard of some of these artists people mention. Maybe it just shows me how unhip I am
wink.gif
. I do agree that acoustical music like Bela Fleck sound great on these. What about also maybe mentioning best recordings for each different categories, i.e. classical, folk, classic rock, indie etc. I am listening to the remastered Beatles and especially Sgt. Peppers and the White Album sound outrageous with the JH13s. Also, Green Day 21st Century Breakdown, the drums really kick. I do look forward to checking out some of the music you all mention. However, I do find that in addition to enhancing well recorded music, these phones really bring out the defects, in comparison, to poorly recorded sound. Nothing can help that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back