JH IEM's developing cracks?
Jan 17, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #16 of 20

Quote:

[size=medium]
Update, The Left IEM came apart in 2 pieces yesterday, like a Kinder Surprise egg with some nice goodies and wires inside.
[/size]

I love how you worded this.

Your shells look incredibly thin and fragile. I'd like to think that mine aren't that thin, since there's some bubbling in them which would just worry me more if it were the case that our acrylic were similarly thin.

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #18 of 20

Quote:

[size=medium]
Update, The Left IEM came apart in 2 pieces yesterday, like a Kinder Surprise egg with some nice goodies and wires inside.
[/size]

I love how you worded this.

Your shells look incredibly thin and fragile. I'd like to think that mine aren't that thin, since there's some bubbling in them which would just worry me more if it were the case that our acrylic were similarly thin.

Agreed re: how thin and fragile they look.  If it's just a matter of how much UV they give them at the first step (see video posted on first page), they can leave mine in as long as needed for the 'mil spec' thickness version 
etysmile.gif

shigzeo:  Yeah,  it seems that way re: acrylic cracking.  It's not a very malleable material so it would crack before flexing.  I'd rather have them replaced and made properly, as I don't really want to have to replace them in the next few years... That whole "I've had to send them back enough times so far and want them to be RIGHT before they're out of warranty." thing

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #19 of 20
Happens to otoplastics from time to time, I have seen a lot of cracks like these while I was still working in the hearing aids field. Bad mixture of materials or sudden changes in temperatures most likely can cause these to happen on acrylic otoplastics. There's no need for new impressions if they have digitally scanned them in the past months. Companies usually ask for new impressions if the last ones are more than one year old as slight changes in the ear canal make a big difference for fitting them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back