JH IEM's developing cracks?
Jan 3, 2011 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Darwin022

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone else has been having this problem with any of their JH custom IEM's.  Early December, the tip of my right JH13 developed a crack.  The next day, 3/4 of the end tip where the two tubes/holes are deposited itself on my desk.  Shipped them down to JHA, they repaired the broken tip and shipped them back pretty quickly.

Today (actually, exactly 1 month later), I noticed a massive crack in the shell of the Left IEM (other one).  This crack runs from just under the "JH" in the serial number over o the rear edge of the shell, then down, snaking it's way back under where my initials are printed, down to the base of the earpiece.  Right now it seems limited to the shell and not the acrylic within that shell.

A few things I can think of are either cold (but they didn't develop these cracks last winter)... Or that somehow the acrylic shell is separating from the acrylic they inject to the earpiece to hold the drivers in place.  This might also explain why there seem to be a lot more "imperfections" just under the top layer that weren't there when I got them (I'd have sent them back again if that were the case :wink: ).  "Physical damage" is always possible, but I don't see or remember anything that would cause this sort of crack.

I'm curious though, has anyone else had these problems?  If so, any thoughts as to what is causing it? Obviously I'm going to have to send them back again to have them repaired (my JH13's have more frequent flyer miles than I do these days).

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 20
That might be what I ask them for.  They have a set of molds that their guy made while I was sitting in their FL lab early last year.  As long as they haven't shrunk, they should be able to re-make them correctly.  JHA has great customer service and I'm sure they'll make everything right.  I've just had to send them back so many times in the last year that I've nicknamed them "the Jaaaag" based on how often they're in the shop.

Quote:
I would push for a complete remold. This is weird.

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 20

Quote:
That might be what I ask them for.  They have a set of molds that their guy made while I was sitting in their FL lab early last year.  As long as they haven't shrunk, they should be able to re-make them correctly.

They actually keep the (permanent) casts that they make from your original impressions, so as long as your ears haven't changed you should be fine.

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #6 of 20

Quote:
That might be what I ask them for.  They have a set of molds that their guy made while I was sitting in their FL lab early last year.  As long as they haven't shrunk, they should be able to re-make them correctly.  JHA has great customer service and I'm sure they'll make everything right.  I've just had to send them back so many times in the last year that I've nicknamed them "the Jaaaag" based on how often they're in the shop.

Quote:
I would push for a complete remold. This is weird.

If your impressions were made a year or more ago, they may ask you for new impressions.  A lot depends on what is "early last year".

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 20
kiwirugby, I noticed that you said in another thread that you had to get new impressions made for JH16s since the molds were about 7 months old.  Did JHA ask you to do that, and if so why?  I thought they scanned the impressions into a digital copy.  Or do they make a permanent physical mold?  This is the first time I've heard of anyone needing new impressions due to passage of time after they had already been sent to a custom IEM maker.

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #9 of 20
Most companies (well, at least JH & UE), actually take a digital scan (with PEW PEW lasers), of the impressions when you send them in, so there is no need for physical casts, or the keeping of impressions, that may shrink.

1:50 on the video

Jan 7, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 20
Yeah, that's right... I remember them mentioning that they scanned them (and I think I saw the scanner while I was there).  They did, however seem to keep all impressions still and "adjust" them with wax.  Fantastic video, thanks :).

Quote:
Most companies (well, at least JH & UE), actually take a digital scan (with PEW PEW lasers), of the impressions when you send them in, so there is no need for physical casts, or the keeping of impressions, that may shrink.

1:50 on the video

Jan 7, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #11 of 20
just curious Darwin..i dont remember what JH warranty coverage is or how long it lasts, but are yours still within warranty?  are they charging anything for this service?
im not insinuating that they would necessarily, just wondering as i will be a jh owner soon myself.

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
kiwirugby, I noticed that you said in another thread that you had to get new impressions made for JH16s since the molds were about 7 months old.  Did JHA ask you to do that, and if so why?  I thought they scanned the impressions into a digital copy.  Or do they make a permanent physical mold?  This is the first time I've heard of anyone needing new impressions due to passage of time after they had already been sent to a custom IEM maker.

Actually, I think i said - and sorry if I was misleading - that I got a new set of impressions because the original set made by Sonus fit badly from the outset and after I sent the 13s back about 5 times for tweaking (mostly adding acrylic), Jerry told me to just get a new set of impressions by someone he respected and knew in the LA area.   I did and the fit with a new set of earpieces was perfect.  So, for my JH16s the impressions from this summer are fine.  Sorry for any and all confusion I may have caused.

The other day, Jaime from JH Audio rang me telling me that my impressions were more than a year old (which the Sonus ones were) and that I needed new impressions for the JH16s I had pre-ordered for the JH-3A.  I told Jaime about the newer impressions that I sent in back in June, 2010, and problem solved.  But it is important to remember that after a year, JH Audio will likely tell anyone who wants another one of their IEMs that a new impression is required.

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #14 of 20

[size=medium]
Update, The Left IEM came apart in 2 pieces yesterday, like a Kinder Surprise egg with some nice goodies and wires inside.  Seems to be made of 2 thin shell layers.  It's pretty amazing to see how hollow they are.  I should have pics tonight.  About to initiate the process of getting this all taken care of.  I think by this point, my existing pair are lemons, tired of dealing with their problems.
[/size]

Jan 17, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #15 of 20
So here's an interior construction shot:

Sent off an e-mail to JHA this afternoon, should hopefully hear back from them tomorrow with how they want to handle this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back