JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #331 of 1,149
It's very hard to imagine any improvement to the Roxanne. There is really no where to go IMO. I think the only thing that separates these from a high end headphone is really just a tiny little bit of super high frequencies, which are notoriously difficult with BA drivers. And I'm not discounting that this may be due to my sources not having close to zero output impedance. But still, at the neutral bass setting it's the best spectrum presentation I've listened to. For those wondering, the improvement over JH13/16 is substantial. It's not marginal or "different sounding". It's better in all aspects, bass mids and highs. I sent mine back for refit after a week of using them and went back to my JH16 in the interim, and I was a sad panda until I got them back. Shocking really, considering how good I thought the JH16s were.

Anyone who jumped on the wagon cannot be disappointed.....

Mar 7, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #332 of 1,149
Which of the two ciems are more forgiving when it comes to poorly mastered recordings,  the JH13 Pro or the Roxanne? I listen to a lot of metal so I prefer the ciem which is more forgiving. Thanks in advance. 

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #333 of 1,149
  Which of the two ciems are more forgiving when it comes to poorly mastered recordings,  the JH13 Pro or the Roxanne? I listen to a lot of metal so I prefer the ciem which is more forgiving. Thanks in advance. 

Speaking between Roxanne and JH16, I would say Roxanne. From my experience JH16 can be harsh/piercing on some tracks which Roxanne controls very well. Also sibilance is a bit reduced on Roxanne compared against JH16.

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #334 of 1,149
  It's very hard to imagine any improvement to the Roxanne. There is really no where to go IMO. I think the only thing that separates these from a high end headphone is really just a tiny little bit of super high frequencies, which are notoriously difficult with BA drivers. And I'm not discounting that this may be due to my sources not having close to zero output impedance. But still, at the neutral bass setting it's the best spectrum presentation I've listened to. For those wondering, the improvement over JH13/16 is substantial. It's not marginal or "different sounding". It's better in all aspects, bass mids and highs. I sent mine back for refit after a week of using them and went back to my JH16 in the interim, and I was a sad panda until I got them back. Shocking really, considering how good I thought the JH16s were.

My Roxanne is even taking some listen time away from my full size headphone at home. :)

I am planning to get either the LCD-X or LCD-2, but the Roxanne at 1 o'clock bass setting is doing a very good job at simulating similar bass performance of the Audeze's phones.
I think I will put that on hold for a while. My wallet will be very pleased. lol
beerchug.gif

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #337 of 1,149

I'd agree with this. I even think the highs are as good or better than a lot of the top headphones. The main compromise that I hear is the small head stage compared to open phones, and obviously, speakers. Its big relative to IEMs but not open headphones. Within the IEM realm, however, I'm not sure how you'd get much better. Something that hasn't been mentioned enough is that they are very liquid sounding. Something I really haven't heard in an IEM before. 

How long did it take for you to get your refit back? I sent mine in about a week ago (3 day). I just hope its right this time, I miss listening to them.

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #338 of 1,149
I just found out that feeding Roxanne with a very transparent source and setting the bass at 0dB gives Roxanne the best detail resolution. Especially the micro details.

Rockbox recently just become supported with DX50. With rockbox set to all flat response and with a transparent amp (UHA-6S), Roxanne can deliver the details of each recordings as exactly as it was intended.

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #339 of 1,149
  I just found out that feeding Roxanne with a very transparent source and setting the bass at 0dB gives Roxanne the best detail resolution. Especially the micro details.

This sounds like an accurate prescription to me.  While needing very little gain from an amp, they max out the capabilities of my portable sources.  I wish I had a Lavry Quintentessence to hear how far they can go.

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #342 of 1,149
Yes I do realise & have the privilege of owning a dictionary. In pure sound quality alone how do they compare?
Just because one is electrostatic doesn't stop people comparing hybrids to diesels. So?

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #345 of 1,149
  Hey one question, is there any website in Korean for Astell and Kern? Here a guy from POSCO is asking me...
Thank you!

Hey, sorry for the late response. Of course there is. Since it was done with iRiver he can check it out at the iRiver homepage. www.iriver.co.kr. If he wants to buy one he should check out soundcat's store zound. I did a project for POSCO not too long ago. Ask him if he got a really nice 2014 POSCO calendar haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back