JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread
Sep 4, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #662 of 1,149

Mine is nearly dead silent - I need to turn it up about 3x comfortable listening level (about 1/2 way up my MBP volume slider) before hiss is perceptible.  

I *did* just upgrade the firmware recently and noticed terrible hiss upon plugging in, but that was because the system volume slider was pegged afterward.  

My firmware is also current.  I suspect some of the of the differences in experience are because the Microstreamer is sensitive to noise delivered to it from the digital source.  It seems to vary quite a bit from phone to phone & computer to computer.  

I just wish there were a way to turn the gain WAY down with a firmware mod.  It's really not made for something as sensitive as the Roxannes.  As you said, one's ears would bleed with the volume halfway up.  For me, listening volume is around 10%.

But in the end, it is a brilliant DAC.  I've not heard more stage depth from a portable source.  It's a steal for the price they charge, and makes me wonder if HRT's other DACs are even better?

Sep 5, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #663 of 1,149
I have to admit, and I have mentioned this before, my enjoyment of these Roxanne Uni's has unfolded in a rather natural and organic way. After ordering these but before I received the 'phones, I had heard enough less-than-glowing assessments and criticisms (be it customer service, sound, size, quality control) to make me think this may have been one of my biggest blunders in my years of IEM listening, but I forged on. When I got them, they were big, and bulky, and didn't support the tips I had grown to know and love over the past couple of years (Westone Star Tips/Red). The sound didn't deliver too great to me, but it seemed the fit was off, and that elusive and debated "burn-in" may need to be done. Alas, I found the right tip (Medium Comply T500), and rolled them through a hundred or so hours of "burn-in", and with a little trial and error, found a great fit in my ear. These IEM's have rewarded me, and I love them. The cost is a lot for some to swallow/pay, but without sounding like a d#ck, you know whether you can or should be able to afford them. Highly recommended. Now on to upgrading my source(s)...!?!?!

Sep 5, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #664 of 1,149
I have to admit, and I have mentioned this before, my enjoyment of these Roxanne Uni's has unfolded in a rather natural and organic way. After ordering these but before I received the 'phones, I had heard enough less-than-glowing assessments and criticisms (be it customer service, sound, size, quality control) to make me think this may have been one of my biggest blunders in my years of IEM listening, but I forged on. When I got them, they were big, and bulky, and didn't support the tips I had grown to know and love over the past couple of years (Westone Star Tips/Red). The sound didn't deliver too great to me, but it seemed the fit was off, and that elusive and debated "burn-in" may need to be done. Alas, I found the right tip (Medium Comply T500), and rolled them through a hundred or so hours of "burn-in", and with a little trial and error, found a great fit in my ear. These IEM's have rewarded me, and I love them. The cost is a lot for some to swallow/pay, but without sounding like a d#ck, you know whether you can or should be able to afford them. Highly recommended. Now on to upgrading my source(s)...!?!?!

Yes, I can definitely say for sure this IEM needs burn-in. When I tried it the first time, I experience a very bad sibilance on some of the songs. It is so piercing that I couldn't really stand it, but I kept telling myself that it will change with burn-in and low and behold it does change. Don't get me wrong, on bad mastering songs, it will still sounds bad, the harshness is gone but the shrill (from bad recording) still there although no more hurting your ear. What I love about the roxanne is that it does imaging and instrument separation superbly. None of my other IEMs come close to it. I am loving it more and more each time I use it. Just don't forget to burning it in for at least 50 hours.

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #665 of 1,149
  ...After just receiving my CF Custom Roxannes today (BF order!)...

...with delivery just a little later than expected...

You are a class act. Congrats! 

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #666 of 1,149
I guess BA's can change with burn-in. Would be nice, the Rox is a bit sibilant. I would also like the bass to calm down, and I'm not talking about just turning down the bass-adjustment knob. 

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #667 of 1,149
Yes I am surprised myself actually. I am using the bass at 12 o'clock and it is enough for me although in some songs (Lorde - Team), I wish the bass has more oomph. But of course BA will never match DD bass.

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #668 of 1,149
  Yes, I can definitely say for sure this IEM needs burn-in. When I tried it the first time, I experience a very bad sibilance on some of the songs. It is so piercing that I couldn't really stand it, but I kept telling myself that it will change with burn-in and low and behold it does change. Don't get me wrong, on bad mastering songs, it will still sounds bad, the harshness is gone but the shrill (from bad recording) still there although no more hurting your ear. What I love about the roxanne is that it does imaging and instrument separation superbly. None of my other IEMs come close to it. I am loving it more and more each time I use it. Just don't forget to burning it in for at least 50 hours.

It's strange that some of us experienced piercing sibilance at first, while most initially got an overly dark sound.  I also found the treble to be punishing.  Now it only bothers me on bad recordings when I should be bothered.  I'm not sure if it was my brain or the Roxannes that adjusted though.

Sep 9, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #669 of 1,149
I think it's a bit of both. Also if you have been using bright sounding iem, then the roxanne will sound dark. 

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #670 of 1,149
It could also be a fit issue, as you get used to getting them in right the fit might be getting better/more repeatable.

Sep 10, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #673 of 1,149
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]After waiting more than 10 month since 1 November 2013 , today I have received my JH Roxanne in full black Carbon edition
I almost canceled my JH Roxanne in full black carbon edition , luckily my best friend told me to wait for a while .

Out the box with ak 120 Titan sound quality : very good
Long waiting is worth it

I am burning my JH Roxanne in full black carbon edition and will post again in 2 weeks time

My burn in set up :

Source : AK 120 Titan mod with vol at : 60
Amp : Bakoon HDA 5520 with volume at 9 o clock
CIEM : JH Roxanne in Full Black Carbon
IC : Crystal Cable Standard Diamond
Music : WAV

Out the box pictures :

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #674 of 1,149
Those things are pretty bad-ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back