JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #616 of 1,149
  Have you guys notice hiss comes out from Hugo? 
I once got a great deal of Hugo but when I plugged my Roxanne to Hugo I can hear very obvious hiss comes out of it, which is intolerable. 
btw, I tried 3 Hugos with iPhone/iPad CCK, Mac Air. 

I'm thinking trying AK240 and compare again, any more portable dac/amp suggestions? 

Have you tried the USB/ HD USB? I couldn't hear any hiss. Else you really have golden ears.

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #617 of 1,149

Have you tried the USB/ HD USB? I couldn't hear any hiss. Else you really have golden ears.

Have you tried optical in? This could rule out possibility of usb noise.  Roxanne is sensitive iem so no surprise, and likely that you have goldenears to sniff out hiss.  
wink.gif

I didn't tried optical in but both USB/HD USB and it was pretty obvious, the thing is that even when there is no source plugged in and I switched the input to USB/HD USB I can hear the hiss. 
I'm definitely not having a golden ear since I even let the person who ran the store stick my Roxanne to his ear and he soon can feel the hiss as well. 
So that's not a single case I think. 

One thing I noticed is that all 3 are the old version (before chasis), what's your version of Hugo? 

Jul 30, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #619 of 1,149
Only hiss I ever heard from a Hugo was when using BT/AptX input with low impedance IEMs.  It sounded more like electronic signals feeding back through the headphone out.  When I used the HD800 it disappeared.  To workaround it with iems try adding an attenuator.  I used one from my TF10 and it got rid of the noise for my UE18/EX1000/UM30/Roxanne.

Jul 30, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #621 of 1,149
I was lucky to find a barely used pair of universal Roxanne’s on ebay for a good price. I got them yesterday and have been astonished by their quality. I’ve had other TOTL IEMS (1+2, 334, IE800) but these feel like a bigger jump over those when it comes to overall sound quality. For me, they get the right balance of bass quality and quantity, smoothness inviting midrange and soundstage size (without sacrificing mids like, for example, 1+2)

great, great sound.

I should mention that with the sock tips I had fit problems (leaks mainly) and I found the best seal with comply T500 small tips. Also, I’ve set the bass to around 1 PM on the dial. bit more than halfway.

And the Roxanne's are super duper sensitive. On the AK120, they’re fine. no hiss. On my RSA shadow? clearly audible hiss.

On my desktop Emotiva DC-1 headphone output, there’s no hiss but I can hear interference from USB transferring data to another external drive (it was the AK120 at the time). Never heard that before from any IEM or headphone. I was amazed it picked up that interference/noise from the transfer. These are super sensitive IEMs and will pick up noise/hiss on anything.

But, that issue (well, it’s not really an issue with a well behaved source) these IEMs are pretty incredible. I’m just walking around the house with these on, astonished with the sound I’m hearing. It’s a big and meaty sound, with a great sense of space and deep, extended bass.

Jul 30, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #622 of 1,149
Roxanne vs. UE-11 ???

Does anyone have experience with both the Roxanne’s and the UE-11.
I would love to hear from someone who has listened to both that can share the differences between the two and what would be considered the improvements/differences.

I am very curious about the Roxanne’s, I like customs and would love to get some feedback before getting too serious about a purchase.

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #623 of 1,149
  I was lucky to find a barely used pair of universal Roxanne’s on ebay for a good price. I got them yesterday and have been astonished by their quality. I’ve had other TOTL IEMS (1+2, 334, IE800) but these feel like a bigger jump over those when it comes to overall sound quality. For me, they get the right balance of bass quality and quantity, smoothness inviting midrange and soundstage size (without sacrificing mids like, for example, 1+2)

great, great sound.

I should mention that with the sock tips I had fit problems (leaks mainly) and I found the best seal with comply T500 small tips. Also, I’ve set the bass to around 1 PM on the dial. bit more than halfway.

And the Roxanne's are super duper sensitive. On the AK120, they’re fine. no hiss. On my RSA shadow? clearly audible hiss.

On my desktop Emotiva DC-1 headphone output, there’s no hiss but I can hear interference from USB transferring data to another external drive (it was the AK120 at the time). Never heard that before from any IEM or headphone. I was amazed it picked up that interference/noise from the transfer. These are super sensitive IEMs and will pick up noise/hiss on anything.

But, that issue (well, it’s not really an issue with a well behaved source) these IEMs are pretty incredible. I’m just walking around the house with these on, astonished with the sound I’m hearing. It’s a big and meaty sound, with a great sense of space and deep, extended bass.

Thanks for your feedback, that's really help. 
Do you think AK120 is a good fit for Roxanne? 
btw, I paired wooaudio wa7 (original version) for desktop setup and it sounds really good. 

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #624 of 1,149
I do think so, yes. I know some claim it's a combo that's too dark but that has not been my experience so far. Sharp violins and bright female vocals have all the vibrancy that I expect. I don't notice an obvious tonal shift moving from the desktop DC-1 (a pretty flat response) to the AK120. if there's a difference, it's too subtle for me to tell - at least after only 2 days of listening.

Hooking up the RSA Shadow to the AK120 seems to darken the combo a bit more. the midbass and deeper end of male vocals seem a bit heavier. And bass seems to hit a bit more. I don't know if this is purely voicing of the amp or something to do with the output impedance of the Shadow (near 0) and the AK120 (~3). Or, it could just be my brain thinking I'm hearing some difference that's not there.

I also think the iPhone 5 is a decent fit for the Roxanne, too :) a little bit shoutier and little more "closed in" than the AK120 (note use of "little bit"), but the music still comes across quite well.

these thing are so much easier to drive than the Kef M200. Those are great, affordable IEMs but they need nearly max volume on the iphone to get up to volume (reason I bought the Shadow). Roxanne's have no volume issues at all with their sensitivity.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #625 of 1,149
I initially thought the Roxanne/AK120 (Red Wine version) combo was too dark but I'm really enjoying the sound at the moment. I think it sounds smooth and it's certainly not bright but I don't find it lacks anything. 

A question for AK120 listeners: do you listen to the Roxanne with or without the Pro EQ turned on? It's discussed in the following round table I came across: http://www.audio360.org/events_a0008_ak120_roundtable.php

Aug 2, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #626 of 1,149
Hoping someone can answer this question, or post a picture: I am very interested in a pair of JHA Roxanne universals, but I would like to know how that bass-adjustment piece on the cable effects the feel of the cable...is it heavy? I just have never liked extensions, or additions to any of my IEM cables. Any info would be appreciated.

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #627 of 1,149
Hoping someone can answer this question, or post a picture: I am very interested in a pair of JHA Roxanne universals, but I would like to know how that bass-adjustment piece on the cable effects the feel of the cable...is it heavy? I just have never liked extensions, or additions to any of my IEM cables. Any info would be appreciated.

The bass adjustment pots are light compared to the rest of the cable, 8 wires means thicker and heavier than most cables.

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #628 of 1,149
The bass adjustment pots are light compared to the rest of the cable, 8 wires means thicker and heavier than most cables.

I appreciate that info!

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #629 of 1,149

Your mind is simply not in sync with your heart...resistance is futile. Bottom line - if you're happy, buy. If you're sad, buy. If you're undecided, buy. If you're angry, buy. If you're bored, buy.

this post MADE MY MORNING @AnakChan!

Have you guys notice hiss comes out from Hugo? 
I once got a great deal of Hugo but when I plugged my Roxanne to Hugo I can hear very obvious hiss comes out of it, which is intolerable. 
btw, I tried 3 Hugos with iPhone/iPad CCK, Mac Air. 

I'm thinking trying AK240 and compare again, any more portable dac/amp suggestions? 

I love my AK240 + Roxannes system.
Perfect for travel obviously, but it has significant musical edges over most of my portable rigs of the past - As the Roxannes do NOT image like any CIEM I've experienced before (as stated in my Head-Fi review HERE) - the more they break-in -and YES, they continue to open up in the midband and in low-end extension- the more they sound like great on or over-ear cans! This is a technological mystery that I'm happy to be in the dark about. Like great music: I don't give a s__ how it was written, recorded or produced, if it moves me then I'm psyched to experience it!

The Roxy's have, much like the original Audeze LCD-3, opened my mind to the possibilities for serious music playback when it comes to CIEMS! A tool for musicians no more! Well, that was true with my JH-13s - but this is scary: How big everything sounds with these in my ears. I used to wait til I got to my destination to bust out my portable high end audio system (current one, at my aunts beach house, pictured below):

Now I'm listening to a high end audio system on the airplane. I thought we were close before, but wholeheartedly, I always felt like there was something missing. The low-end was a lil' light, or the mids not quite as dynamically lush as they were at home, etc...
NOT anymore! - 

I'm listening to this rig RIGHT NOW!
I'm actually QC'ing a final mix of a record  - so using my LCD-3s w/ Fazor and Roxannes is key - as I wanna pick the mix that sounds better through both of course.
Before the Roxannes - as much as I loved my JH-13 Freqphase (post-JH-13 Pro) I couldn't use em as a reference monitor. I feel totally confident in the Roxy's ability 
to show me whats there, or, not! Plus: The majority of consumers are imbibing music through IEMs, so using a great pair for reference gives you a necessary tool in todays
music production world - I believe anyway...

So  - sorry for the rantin' ON... But using my AK240, or the Up-coming Glove Audio A1 DAC/Amp for AstellnKern AK120/100 by CEntrance (I use my AK120) I enjoy full-bodied, musically engaging sound where ever I am. 
It's a powerful time for our hobby - life's GOOD.

Here's the Glove Audio A1 w/ my Roxannes (used this pic in this thread before I think):

Those are my two top DAC solution recommendations for the Roxannes.

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #630 of 1,149
I'm looking at getting the universal Roxanne'a as there is no place to get impressions made and I'm concerned about later changes in fit as I get older. Does anyone have experience with the universals? Thanks. I'm ready to pull the trigger but want to hear thoughts on the universals first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back