JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Impressions Thread
May 22, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #467 of 1,149
Would you like to share the reason why you chose Roxanne over k10?

Just my preference.
For me, Roxanne sounds natural on the vocals and I like the bass signature of Jh, heavy low end. K10 is more on mid bass and very good highs, I do like its highs than Rox a bit.
Roxanne sounds warmer and just sounds very natural to me.

May 22, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #468 of 1,149
I do find that the Roxanne sounds better at higher volumes - which reminds me of the Westone 4 - but I don't always want to listen to loud music. 

If nothing else, the Roxanne has helped me realise the type of sound I prefer: spacious with prominent treble rather than dark and smooth. I'll be waiting for more reviews of new IEMs before ordering in future. I can definitely see myself ordering the JH 13 fp, though not until I've given the Roxanne another couple of months.

This mirrors a lot on my impression with the uni rox demo (I'm also a longtime w4 user). I come to the conclusion I like my jh13fp's more airy and spacious presentation. I think you would love it too. You can also consider the 1plus2 which I love and has the most spacious sound WITH impactful bass of all IEM I tried but it's tuned a bit more on the aggressive side than the neutral side of things.

May 22, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #469 of 1,149
^ When I pre-ordered the Roxanne's I was hoping for an improved JH13 (is that possible?), but obviously, they have a completely different sound signature. I think I would prefer the JH13 sound in general. However, I really like the Roxanne's sound as well as long as the bass is turned to 9pm or lower. 

Which one do you like better the 1plus2 or JH13 FP?

May 22, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #470 of 1,149
This will be my first post about the JH Audio Sirens Series Roxanne.

I am not attempting to upset anyone, just looking for helpful and useful information.

I currently have the Ultimate Ears UE11 and the Ray Samuels Hornet, and i can remember when the JH Audio JH13’s came out, everyone went nuts, proclaiming them as the best thing ever made.

I can also remember the praise that was given to the JH16 and the JH-3A with JH16 (I didn’t even dare to mention the Freqphase Stuff).  The theme has always been the same, they are praised to no end and called the best IEM’s ever heard and then later there are so many complaints about the sound quality and numerous claims that they haven’t been burnt in properly and of course there are many even the manufacturers that say Balance Armature Driver’s don’t benefit from Burn in.

So,
Please can someone tell me if they Roxanne is actually worth the money or should I just wait until everyone finds some new flavor of the day.

I am not trying to be a wisenheimer, I am just so confused and if I were to purchase every time someone on Head-Fi says something is great and then does an about face I would be broke, I cannot afford to purchase every new IEM that is released, I just want something new when technology actually improves and allows real advancement from what I already own.

I know some would recommend getting the universal but I like customs, I think they just fit nicer and I am not really interested in re-sale, when I get them I expect to use them for a long time and customs are what I prefer.

May 22, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #471 of 1,149
If you don't like dark, thick sound I suggest to avoid or get the universal version at least can let go if you don't like it. I personally don't like them, lucky the EQ save me.

May 22, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #472 of 1,149
I share your pain, but at the end of the day only your ears can tell you what's worth and what's not. And this is if you're lucky. Your tastes will probably change and spending 30min with a demo won't guarantee you will like them for the years to come (just think of your past girlfriends...)

I mean, would you buy a pair of shoes without even seeing them, based solely on description and opinions?

Sometimes I think that spending all these hours here is a waste of time. Sometime I think it's just awesome to be able to exchange with people sharing the same hobby. CIEM are and will always be delight and frustration...

May 22, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #473 of 1,149
Anyone know if the roxanne bass is as deep/dynamic/similar to jh16 fp?  I've listened to alot of iems/ciems and they all sound different.  Not bad, just different, and I'm hoping that the roxannes bass is similar/identical to the jh16fps because I'm so used to it.

May 22, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #475 of 1,149
Anyone know if the roxanne bass is as deep/dynamic/similar to jh16 fp?  I've listened to alot of iems/ciems and they all sound different.  Not bad, just different, and I'm hoping that the roxannes bass is similar/identical to the jh16fps because I'm so used to it.

Remember Roxanne has an adjustable bass. It can definitely go deeper than JH16. The main difference is the density. Roxanne has a denser bass than JH16. Many people say Roxanne has a thicker SQ. I think it's because of a very dense bass. The bass can really hit hard even at the lowest level.

I seldom set it pass 10 o'clock position. It's at 9 o'clock most of the time for me.

May 23, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #476 of 1,149

I am not attempting to upset anyone, just looking for helpful and useful information.

I currently have the Ultimate Ears UE11 and the Ray Samuels Hornet, and i can remember when the JH Audio JH13’s came out, everyone went nuts, proclaiming them as the best thing ever made.

I can also remember the praise that was given to the JH16 and the JH-3A with JH16 (I didn’t even dare to mention the Freqphase Stuff).  The theme has always been the same, they are praised to no end and called the best IEM’s ever heard and then later there are so many complaints about the sound quality and numerous claims that they haven’t been burnt in properly and of course there are many even the manufacturers that say Balance Armature Driver’s don’t benefit from Burn in.

So,
Please can someone tell me if they Roxanne is actually worth the money or should I just wait until everyone finds some new flavor of the day.

I am not trying to be a wisenheimer, I am just so confused and if I were to purchase every time someone on Head-Fi says something is great and then does an about face I would be broke, I cannot afford to purchase every new IEM that is released, I just want something new when technology actually improves and allows real advancement from what I already own.

I know some would recommend getting the universal but I like customs, I think they just fit nicer and I am not really interested in re-sale, when I get them I expect to use them for a long time and customs are what I prefer.

In your case, I suggest you spend some time with a demo before you make your decision whether to buy it or not. You should trust what you hear from your ears more than what you read on reviews because people have different tastes. For example, I think everyone has his own definition of advancement when talking about IEMs. 

May 23, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #477 of 1,149

So,

I used to have the UE10s, roughly what you have with less bass.  They were excellent, but didn't have sufficient frequency range to compete with decent full sizers.  The original JH13s were a huge jump in performance from the UE10s.  I consider them game changers, putting IEMs in the same field as full sizers for the first time.  They still sound great today.  Not once in 5 years have I felt they weren't worth the money.  And now I have the Roxannes, which are another huge step up.  Coming from the UE11s, you can expect a vast increase in resolution.  They'll be brighter, as the UE11s top off at 16 kHz, and start rolling off before then.  If you like the UE11 bass boost, you should be able to approximate it with the Roxanne cable.  And if you, like many posters here, decide you want a brighter sound, it's only a matter of time before someone makes a cable with a treble dial.  I've yet to hear a single piece of music I'd want that for though.  The Roxannes sound increasingly neutral to me the more I listen to them.

May 23, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #478 of 1,149
Is it possible to do a treble adjustment? because the crossovers are in the earpieces...I don't know enough about this to say, maybe someone else can speak up.

May 23, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #479 of 1,149
Mod the cable? Adding something would help? I don't know but if you know pls let me know I can mod them since I got the spare one.

May 25, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #480 of 1,149
Hi guys can I just check. Is it possible to reshell a custom roxanne while maintaining the same sound as the original with a third party audio company? As what I havr heard some people claim that freq phase cannot be copied by a another campany as it is unique to jh. However some people claim that freq phase is a technology that other company have but just have a different name. I am struggling whether to buy a second hand custom and reshell will null audio or just go with the universal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back