JH Audio Lola Impressions and Discussions
Aug 7, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #631 of 739
It sounds like you are leaning towards the Lola. If I shared the mental imagery you describe, that's what I would choose.
I don't perceive any shrillness in Lola at all. I almost wish there were some. The signature is JH Audio dark, just not as much so as Roxanne.
I will listen some more to the Lola, with your comments in mind. I am very susceptible to suggestion :).
I don't know what kind of music you listen to, but i would suggest something with allot of trumpet and sax, or horns in general, also hi-hats. Maybe some salsa if thats up your alley. That should help bring out some of the shrillness i hear.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #632 of 739
I don't know what kind of music you listen to, but i would suggest something with allot of trumpet and sax, or horns in general, also hi-hats. Maybe some salsa if thats up your alley. That should help bring out some of the shrillness i hear.

I couldn't coax any shrillness out of Lola. It must be my own treble rolloff, otherwise known as high frequency hearing loss :frowning2:.

That said, I am returning my demo JH Lola and Roxanne tomorrow. I decided to go the second cheapest route, which is to get the 16 Pro v2 custom, at a kind of trade-in-and-up discount. The cheapest route would have been to get my old 16 Pros OG repaired for $400+, but I suspect that more drivers will die before long, so it would be penny wise, pound foolish.

One issue with these demos is that they are an odd fit (or it just me?) The ear stems are VERY long, and there is NO WAY I could get the things flush with my ears. They always stick out some. Maybe I am doing something wrong. But I did try different ear tips, including very small ones that theoretically allowed for a deeper fit. I never found them comfortable. This is not an issue for me, ultimately, as I am getting customs based on my existing 16 Pros. But I don't think I would ever go for a Universal in either one of these IEMs.

Aug 9, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #633 of 739
I couldn't coax any shrillness out of Lola. It must be my own treble rolloff, otherwise known as high frequency hearing loss :frowning2:.

That said, I am returning my demo JH Lola and Roxanne tomorrow. I decided to go the second cheapest route, which is to get the 16 Pro v2 custom, at a kind of trade-in-and-up discount. The cheapest route would have been to get my old 16 Pros OG repaired for $400+, but I suspect that more drivers will die before long, so it would be penny wise, pound foolish.

One issue with these demos is that they are an odd fit (or it just me?) The ear stems are VERY long, and there is NO WAY I could get the things flush with my ears. They always stick out some. Maybe I am doing something wrong. But I did try different ear tips, including very small ones that theoretically allowed for a deeper fit. I never found them comfortable. This is not an issue for me, ultimately, as I am getting customs based on my existing 16 Pros. But I don't think I would ever go for a Universal in either one of these IEMs.
Congrats on the decision! I will say however that from what i'm hearing the lola is noticeably brighter than the16v2 (maybe the 16 pros are different). The universals stick wayyy out of my ears as well.

Aug 9, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #634 of 739

I have custom Lolas and they stick out as well, not as much as universals. But JH IEMs are big to begin with.

Congrats on you decision too!

Aug 9, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #635 of 739
I have custom Lolas and they stick out as well, not as much as universals. But JH IEMs are big to begin with.

I find that the width of the custom also depends on the shell material you opt for. My full-carbon-fiber Lola's are much wider (so, they stick out much more) than my full-wood Layla's, and it's probably because they needed more surface area for the carbon-fiber wrap, so that it doesn't kink on the bends.

Aug 9, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #636 of 739

My Lola customs are more compact due to the acoustic chamber that JH Audio said will make it a little smaller. They do not stick out much, but it would also depend on your ear canals I think.

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #637 of 739
I find that the width of the custom also depends on the shell material you opt for. My full-carbon-fiber Lola's are much wider (so, they stick out much more) than my full-wood Layla's, and it's probably because they needed more surface area for the carbon-fiber wrap, so that it doesn't kink on the bends.
My Lola customs are more compact due to the acoustic chamber that JH Audio said will make it a little smaller. They do not stick out much, but it would also depend on your ear canals I think.

Lot's of variables leading to the size, I always assumed that customs would have a smaller profile in relation to the ear than universals. Never really thought the material would lead to a size difference as well, as @Deezel177 mentioned about his full carbon vs. wood IEMs. I have a custom EE Bravado and it sits pretty flush in my ear, much better than the universal Bravado. At least with customs we don't have to worry about tips or which ear to put the IEM in. :ksc75smile:

Aug 10, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #638 of 739
So I just got my new (open box) Lola's from Headamp. Only had them for about 1 hour, but so far so good. They really are huge however for my small ears. Been trying all the different tips I have to try and get it comfortable. So far the best tips I've found both for comfort and sound are the Flares audiophile tips. The way they flare at the end, none of the stainless steel tubes are blocked at all, and I think the sound is better.
I've been using the Flares gold most recently, so need a little time to compare and contrast. I can tell immediately that the mids are more full. The flares do seem to have a little more sub bass as well, and a more sparkly treble. I think the Flares also have a little more instrument separation, but the more I'm listening to the Lola, the more I'm liking them.

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #639 of 739
It sounds like you are leaning towards the Lola. If I shared the mental imagery you describe, that's what I would choose.
I don't perceive any shrillness in Lola at all. I almost wish there were some. The signature is JH Audio dark, just not as much so as Roxanne.
I will listen some more to the Lola, with your comments in mind. I am very susceptible to suggestion :).
While my impressions haven't changed I have finally come to a decision after listening to the jh13v2, 16v2, lola, and layla, and I'm going with the 16v2.
Funnily enough for the exact opposite reason that you chose it. To me the 16v2 was less fatiguing principally because of the high end. It was just less shrill and punchy in the top end. The way people describe bassy headphones with "slam" and impact is the way I felt about hi-hats on the lola. it was a cool feeling for a while, but I felt it was overpowering and would ultimately be fatiguing.

The mids, while more lively, realistic/deep, where strangely enough also more recessed, feeling further back, and while this created a good feeling of space, making them feel more akin to a pair of big headphones, it did so at the slight cost of detail clarity. The details where still there, just a little harder to find than on the 16v2.

I know what you're all thinking, If I wanted clarity and detail why not go for the layla. The answer is the same reason I didnt go for the lola, the layla where just too fatiguing to listen to for longer periods. All the detail felt like it was constantly competing to be heard which made it impossible to just relax and listen.

So while I had to make several trade offs I feel I ultimately made the right decision for my desires and purposes.
(plus i'll admit that it feels kinda cool to use the same model some of my favorite bands/musicians also use)

Aug 14, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #640 of 739
While my impressions haven't changed I have finally come to a decision after listening to the jh13v2, 16v2, lola, and layla, and I'm going with the 16v2.
Funnily enough for the exact opposite reason that you chose it. To me the 16v2 was less fatiguing principally because of the high end. It was just less shrill and punchy in the top end. The way people describe bassy headphones with "slam" and impact is the way I felt about hi-hats on the lola. it was a cool feeling for a while, but I felt it was overpowering and would ultimately be fatiguing.

The mids, while more lively, realistic/deep, where strangely enough also more recessed, feeling further back, and while this created a good feeling of space, making them feel more akin to a pair of big headphones, it did so at the slight cost of detail clarity. The details where still there, just a little harder to find than on the 16v2.

I know what you're all thinking, If I wanted clarity and detail why not go for the layla. The answer is the same reason I didnt go for the lola, the layla where just too fatiguing to listen to for longer periods. All the detail felt like it was constantly competing to be heard which made it impossible to just relax and listen.

So while I had to make several trade offs I feel I ultimately made the right decision for my desires and purposes.
(plus i'll admit that it feels kinda cool to use the same model some of my favorite bands/musicians also use)
for lola, i can share that tip selection plays a huge impact on how lola will be perceived, I use final type e ear tips, and if you have some kind of shrillness, make sure your tips sit flush with the nozzle and leave not even 1 mm of the tip over the stem.

I had the roxanne performance which I liked as well, but I prefer the lola over it, as it has more detail, and better mids

As for angie, I have that as well, but its not comparable to lola or roxanne, its nice but both lola and roxanne are better

I am thinking to add the new roxanne to my collection, assuming anything in its tuning changed

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #641 of 739

Glad you got your decision made and that you are happy with it.
My little drama is not yet settled. To review: my ten year old first generation JH16's apparently have several failed drivers, so JH Audio suggested that rather than repair them I might upgrade to a newer model, with a discount. Assuming I am already familiar with the sound signature of the 16's and that (I assumed?) the newest version would have a similar signature, they sent me demo copies of Roxanne and Lola for me to test. I kept them a week or so and decided that Roxanne is too dark and Lola is better than Roxanne, but not several hundred dollars better than the 16v2. I sent back the demos and told them I want to have new customs of JH16v2, since I do want a bit of brightness at higher frequencies, which is what I remember from my own JH16s. The fellow at JHAudio then said that he thinks I would like the previous (second) generation of the 16's better than the latest. This would be the 16 Pro, which he says has a brighter top end than the newer version. He says that the sound signature of the Pro is similar to the first generation but that the current model is actually more like the Roxannes, very dark. I had not heard this anywhere. Can anyone comment on this? I could save a few hundred dollars by getting the previous generation, and they will upgrade it to include a four-pin cable with variable bass.

Now I am not sure what to do. Has anyone ever had a chance to compare the second and third generations of the JH Audio 16?

Doug Greenberg

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #642 of 739
My little drama is not yet settled. To review: my ten year old first generation JH16's apparently have several failed drivers, so JH Audio suggested that rather than repair them I might upgrade to a newer model, with a discount. Assuming I am already familiar with the sound signature of the 16's and that (I assumed?) the newest version would have a similar signature, they sent me demo copies of Roxanne and Lola for me to test. I kept them a week or so and decided that Roxanne is too dark and Lola is better than Roxanne, but not several hundred dollars better than the 16v2. I sent back the demos and told them I want to have new customs of JH16v2, since I do want a bit of brightness at higher frequencies, which is what I remember from my own JH16s. The fellow at JHAudio then said that he thinks I would like the previous (second) generation of the 16's better than the latest. This would be the 16 Pro, which he says has a brighter top end than the newer version. He says that the sound signature of the Pro is similar to the first generation but that the current model is actually more like the Roxannes, very dark. I had not heard this anywhere. Can anyone comment on this? I could save a few hundred dollars by getting the previous generation, and they will upgrade it to include a four-pin cable with variable bass.

Now I am not sure what to do. Has anyone ever had a chance to compare the second and third generations of the JH Audio 16?

Doug Greenberg
I would guide you to this review
https://headphone.guru/jh-audio-jh16v2s-the-best-version-yet/
While the uppers were in my experiene considerably warmer than the lola (why i picked them) they did seem clear.
I would reccomend you ask to try the 16v2's
If anyone else wants to chime in about the differences please do!

Aug 16, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #643 of 739
I would like to put out there the question: is there anyone who is familiar with all three generations of the JH Audio 16's? I.e., 16, 16 pro v1, 16 pro v2?

I am replacing my failing OG 16s and seem to have the option of either of the two successive generations. I am hearing conflicting info regarding the sound signature of the generations two and three, as regards the higher frequencies.

Any input? Any sources I can check out? Thanks.

Doug Greenberg

Aug 16, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #644 of 739

Doug Greenberg
never tried the roxannes but tried the 16v2 and the 13v2. The 13v2 is much brighter then the 16v2 and I liked that one better then the 16v2 but it’s up to your preference

Aug 16, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #645 of 739
I would like to put out there the question: is there anyone who is familiar with all three generations of the JH Audio 16's? I.e., 16, 16 pro v1, 16 pro v2?

I am replacing my failing OG 16s and seem to have the option of either of the two successive generations. I am hearing conflicting info regarding the sound signature of the generations two and three, as regards the higher frequencies.

Any input? Any sources I can check out? Thanks.

Doug Greenberg
Have you seen this review comparing the 13pf and the 13v2 and Roxanne? I know it's not the same as the 16 vs 16v2 but it might help.

Personally I'm inclined to say you should go v2 since everything I've heard would indicate that they have better detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back